Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Not sure Sith (if Kylo/Snoke even ARE Sith) would just join a merger, nor would that necessarily end "evil force users".

Of course, that Luke-quote could also just be from early in the movie, declining to train Rey because of his Kylo-experience (and going by Yoda in Empire, she's surely too old!! ), before Rey eventually convinces him to train him after all.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Time for the jedi to...... end
hmmm--jedi/sith merging to a new "order/cult/whatever" so instead of the light side of the force(jedi), and the dark side of the force(sith)... you just have.....the Force.

You're never really going to get a merger because without Jedi and Sith there wouldn't really much of a war in Star Wars. The Empire and Rebel Alliance were always based on and driven by the Sith and Jedi philosophies, backed by Force-using or Force-attuned leaders.

Luke's mindset is probably more cynical in that the Jedi don't have all the solutions and their own philosophy is very flawed, as is the Sith's, and so it would be time to go for a gray area, cherrypicking the best of both sides to bring balance but don't count on it ever happening or at least not for long.

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Maybe.

In spite of his words at the end we see him training Rey. So what would he be training her to be exactly? Some generic force user without all of the trappings of Jedi philosophy?
I think people are overthinking this.

At the start of the movie, Luke says he's in hiding because he's failed as a teacher, lost faith in the light, and believes he should die as the last Jedi.

But then 'something bad' happens and Rey uses the magical power of mary sue to convince him that the galaxy still needs Jedi.

He dies/gets killed and then at the end of the movie she is the last jedi.

It's a Disney Movie. Let's not get too complicated here.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
did Ren and Snoke get retconned into being Sith or something?

Not ... yet.

The very concept of "Sith" is a prequel-concept, like Midichlorians, from the Phantom Menace.

Prequels (and EU) retconned Darth Vader and the Emperor being Sith, despite the idea not existing at the time of the original trilogy.

TFA kept prequel/EU stuff at arms length, but if they eventually embrace it (which the "balance"-quote may hint at?), I could see Ren/Snoke getting the Dark Vader/Emperor-treatment of being turned into Sith without the word actually appearing in the movie.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Not ... yet.

The very concept of "Sith" is a prequel-concept, like Midichlorians, from the Phantom Menace.

Prequels (and EU) retconned Darth Vader and the Emperor being Sith, despite the idea not existing at the time of the original trilogy.

TFA kept prequel/EU stuff at arms length, but if they eventually embrace it (which the "balance"-quote may hint at?), I could see Ren/Snoke getting the Dark Vader/Emperor-treatment of being turned into Sith without the word actually appearing in the movie.

While you're technically correct that the word Sith was made up after the original trilogy, the Emperor and Vader were at the time considered to be Dark Jedi, and as such would be pretty much the same thing : wielders of the Force who are evil. That's a Sith in a nutshell. The name change is irrelevant.

I think Disney purposely steps around the word Sith because it reminds people too much of the awful prequels, but it's hard to see the difference thematically between Snoke/Kylo Ren and Emperor/Vader... hooded scarred mastermind and his masked enforcer henchman.

And anyway I'm thinking Luke's meaning is that there should be no more people able to use the Force, period. At least not to the extent the Jedi and Sith do. Because it causes too much trouble for everyone around them.

• 1Like

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
While you're technically correct that the word Sith was made up after the original trilogy, the Emperor and Vader were at the time considered to be Dark Jedi, and as such would be pretty much the same thing : wielders of the Force who are evil. That's a Sith in a nutshell. The name change is irrelevant.

Well, not really. Dark Jedi are just Jedi that are evil.

Sith implies a continuous history of evil Jedi following (as well as occasionally breaking) certain traditions, mainly the "Always two there are; no more, no less" quote from Phantom Menace (which was clearly modelled on the Vader/Emperor relationship, kinda how the Rebel-pilot-helm-with-sprayed-visor-found-in-the-Falcon that Luke used to train magically turned into something Jedi apparently always trained with all over the galaxy for some reason).

Nobody would doubt that Ren and Snoke are "Dark Jedi" or "Evil Jedi". But if people geek out about them not being "Sith", its usually about whether or not they adhere to that all-the-way-to-KOTOR-and-stuff tradition, which Vader and the Emperor were retconned into being part of (instead of just being nasty evil villains with space magic).

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Well, not really. Dark Jedi are just Jedi that are evil.

Sith implies a continuous history of evil Jedi following (as well as occasionally breaking) certain traditions, mainly the "Always two there are; no more, no less" quote from Phantom Menace (which was clearly modelled on the Vader/Emperor relationship, kinda how the Rebel-pilot-helm-with-sprayed-visor-found-in-the-Falcon that Luke used to train magically turned into something Jedi apparently always trained with all over the galaxy for some reason).

Nobody would doubt that Ren and Snoke are "Dark Jedi" or "Evil Jedi". But if people geek out about them not being "Sith", its usually about whether or not they adhere to that all-the-way-to-KOTOR-and-stuff tradition, which Vader and the Emperor were retconned into being part of (instead of just being nasty evil villains with space magic).

The Rule of Two isn't necessarily representative of all Sith. It was only created after some Sith came to realize in-fighting was hurting their chances to take over the galaxy beause the Jedi were more united, but it's hard to unite when everyone around you is a raving mass-murdering psychopath.

If anything, while not named Sith (yet) the Knights of Ren are all force-wielding evil enforcers working for Kylo Ren, who himself works for Snoke, so definitely no Rule of Two there.

What I meant about being Sith or not is irrelevant is that it doesn't matter in a meta sense, you're still going to have evil Jedi / evil Sith going against goodie two shoes Jedi, because otherwise it's not Star Wars anymore to most people. That's why I found Rogue One refreshing, there was only one lightsaber in the damn movie (and it was in a kickass scene).

• 1Like

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
While you're technically correct that the word Sith was made up after the original trilogy

Vader was called "Dark Lord of the Sith" way back in the original novel that predated the release of the film. I also distinctly remember Mark Hamill calling him that in some behind the scenes VHS thing from the 80s that I got for free after sending in UPCs from cereal boxes. Of course, it was just a word then.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
Sith is not said in the original trilogy on screen but it is in all 3 screenplay's and is in the New Hope novelization
https://www.quora.com/Is-the-term-Sith-used-in-the-original-trilogy

main-qimg-1f3a15f39314d022037aacf759a24c7d.webp

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
"Lord of the Sith" was a title attached to Vader in the original screenplay and subsequently used in the Star Wars novelization. Since it was easier to have that novelization readily at hand in the pre-VCR era many people became used to the idea of there being something that was the "Sith" and it probably wasn't a good thing.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I think people are overthinking this.

At the start of the movie, Luke says he's in hiding because he's failed as a teacher, lost faith in the light, and believes he should die as the last Jedi.

But then 'something bad' happens and Rey uses the magical power of mary sue to convince him that the galaxy still needs Jedi.

He dies/gets killed and then at the end of the movie she is the last jedi.

It's a Disney Movie. Let's not get too complicated here.

Gonna have to go with this. The fan lore building around three second one-liners in trailers is always fun to read though, even though it's going to turn out to be the most cookie cutter explanation imaginable.

Guarantee after that line Rey says 'but pls think of the other children!' and luke's like 'lol ya what was I thinking i'll train you'.

• 2Like

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Yes.

I know Vader was called Lord of the Sith. But other EU "evil jedi" were still dark jedi. There was no Sith as a historical organisation or institutions.

It was just a title. It had no more in common with the later flesh-out concept of "the Sith" than the original script-mention of Starkiller had in common with the Starkiller base in TFA.

Both Jedi and Sith really only got their big "history" and institutions in the prequels.

Jedi used to be "forgotten" in the original Star Wars. And in the original concepts conceived as something of a mix between wandering Space-Wild-West-Marshals and Ronin Knights, Kung Fu Caine wandering the land, even in their prime.

In Phantom Menace, they suddenly had an HQ at the biggest planet, training academies, military organisation, etc..

Same with Sith. It was a fancy-sounding title. Suddenly they had history, temples, traditions. Lucas main-schtick with the prequels to make things "epic" was to turn the family-level conflicts and concepts of the original trilogy into age-old institutions.

TFA at least side-stepped that and left it open. There is nothing in TFA, as in the original trilogy, that would contradict Dark Vader/the Emperor (later Ren) simply coming to their own villainous self on their own instead of being part of an "ancient secret society of space-villains".

Rogue One clearly moved closer to prequel-interpretations. Though they had no Jedi, they did have a prominent Jedi temple as a location. Kyber crystals are suddenly a thing. Etc.. It hints much more closely at a prequel-style view of Jedi being once the Catholic Church of Space, less then wandering warrior-monks of Space.

And, of course, lots of prequel actors showing up.

So I think it is not wrong to assume that Disney was getting more sympathetic to (some) prequel lore between TFA and Rogue One. A trend that may well continue with the Last Jedi.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
We now can only speculate. Dark/light, balance of the Force... just to 2 things but a whole bunch of theories can be created from them.

About the poster.....really neat. 80's vibe all over it.

Getting HYPED!!!!

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I wouldn't mind if Disney decided to cherrypick the best elements of the Expanded Universe (Legends) and even the prequels and decided to make some of it canon or modify it because it was a cool idea delivered terribly. Storywise, the Jedi and Sith having been institutions isn't a bad idea, it makes sense that Force users would rise to power thanks to their advantage over the unwashed masses, and power draws followers. The problem of the prequels was the delivery of the story, the terrible dialogue, cinematogaphy, editing, and a lot of the characters were terrible, but not everything should be thrown in a fire forever, just take the good ideas (like Maul was recycled into Star Wars Rebels and is now canon post-TPM).

• 1Like

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
I wouldn't mind if Disney decided to cherrypick the best elements of the Expanded Universe (Legends) and even the prequels and decided to make some of it canon or modify it because it was a cool idea delivered terribly. Storywise, the Jedi and Sith having been institutions isn't a bad idea, it makes sense that Force users would rise to power thanks to their advantage over the unwashed masses, and power draws followers. The problem of the prequels was the delivery of the story, the terrible dialogue, cinematogaphy, editing, and a lot of the characters were terrible, but not everything should be thrown in a fire forever, just take the good ideas (like Maul was recycled into Star Wars Rebels and is now canon post-TPM).

I agree.

But I also think some people went a bit too far with "Ren/Snoke aren't Sith, they are something different/more secret/Darth Plagueis playing 5th Dimensional Chess with the Sith", simply because they aren't referred to as Sith in TFA.

I think with TFA Disney (or JJ) were simply super-extra-over-hyper-careful to keep out anything remotely like a prequel reference.

Since then, they realised that most prequel-stuff is actually pretty ok with fans, if they simply simply stir clear of a handful of super-hated things (Jar Jar, Midichlorians) and, yes, improve the delivery (Sith actually being a fan-favourite, I think, is a direct result of Darth Maul being a "liked element" of the Phantom Menace and some EU games/books/comics making pretty good use of the idea of Sith).

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
About the poster.....really neat. 80's vibe all over it.

It has a little flourish from the 70's as well.

star-wars-poster-c.jpg

One interesting thing from The Last Jedi panel today was when Mark Hamill made an obviously intentional slip of the tongue to get a laugh; he called Daisy Ridley "my dau .. err colleague". That's a pretty good indicator that Rey is in fact not a Skywalker.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Time for the jedi to...... end
hmmm--jedi/sith merging to a new "order/cult/whatever" so instead of the light side of the force(jedi), and the dark side of the force(sith)... you just have.....the Force.

No.