Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
In the last page, a concerned movie-goer has wished the main character of the new trilogy would die, and that the franchise would crash and burn. I can only suppose maybe they don't like Star Wars anymore because they've become cynical about its money-grabbing schemes?

In order to boycott this kind of Hollywood money-milking devilry, I invite you to post in threads for different, non-profit-based franchises such as Fast and Furious 8 or the Marvel Cinematic Universe #17 : Thor Ragnarok.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
In the last page, a concerned movie-goer has wished the main character of the new trilogy would die, and that the franchise would crash and burn. I can only suppose maybe they don't like Star Wars anymore because they've become cynical about its money-grabbing schemes?

In order to boycott this kind of Hollywood money-milking devilry, I invite you to post in threads for different, non-profit-based franchises such as Fast and Furious 8 or the Marvel Cinematic Universe #17 : Thor Ragnarok.
Once we reach 40th anniversary, 6th remastering of the original, I will agree.

Rey is just a shity character overall. Kylo Ren had more depth than Rey. I mean jesus. How.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think the saga should end after the next 2 movies.
Still now, i think SW was perfect as it was, the best trilogy ever.

The main problem here is one: Disney.
Their over marketing is obnoxious, they milk their "cows" until they drop dead.
Why so much marketing on every fucking product with Star Wars? Fans dont need that and for people who dont like/ care , they are getting tired and wont become fond of it.
3 more saga movies + 3 anthology movies (why this? They wont bring anything new ffs).?
But of course, if fanvoys demand this shit, they will get this shit.
Getting tired of this overrated and hysterical circus.

I know Disney need to pay the 4 billion investment but stop for a minute. Let people breathe for a moment and appreciate one thing BEFORE they get a new one.

I read on many comments around the web and imo, is getting more true than ever:
The worst thing about Star Wars it's its fanbase.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Once we reach 40th anniversary, 6th remastering of the original, I will agree.

Rey is just a shity character overall. Kylo Ren had more depth than Rey. I mean jesus. How.

Hehe no worries, I was just poking fun at the fact someone would get outraged by the milking of this franchise when nowadays everything that comes out is either a massive cinematic universe in the works (MCU, DCU, Kaijuverse, Mummyverse/Monsterverse, etc...) or a remake of a reboot of a reminagined adaptation of a video game based on an animé.

As far as I'm concerned I really enjoyed Episode VII and look forward to Episode VIII. I really liked Kylo Ren, more than Rey, but I didn't dislike her either and I thought her acting was on point. It's hard to judge how well a role is portrayed when you have so little to work on as an actress, with almost no backstory and all of it shrouded in mystery until at least VIII maybe even IX.

VII was entertaining, well-paced, had good action sequences, funny moments, sad moments, great music, great visuals, and it kept me interested to know more in the future.

It's hard to ask for more from a space opera.

Last edited:

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I know Disney need to pay the 4 billion investment but stop for a minute.

I'm quite sure the 4 billion bucks they paid for Star Wars have already been earned by Episode VII alone, if you add all the merchandising. If not, then Rogue One made sure of that.

At this point they're not making more movies to get their money back, they're of course milking a cash cow because why would anyone buy Star Wars anyway? But I think it's also clear from their choices so far that there are people at the helm that genuinely do love Star Wars and want to make more of it for younger generations, which is probably why Episode VII was more or less a reworked Episode IV.

From what I've seen and experienced, it works. Kids are more interested than ever in Star Wars, if you add the Rebels TV show (which is extremely well done) on top of the movies.

But for some of the older fans, it's hard to accept anything new in this franchise, especially after the shit we got with the prequels. It took me years to get over the burn of the prequels, but now I'm just going to enjoy glimpses into a universe I enjoy, whether they be numbered episodes or spin-offs or whatever, and if I don't like some of the many sequels that are sure to come, then I'll just erase them in my head canon and keep liking the rest.

New movies aren't hurting your old ones. Once you accept that, it gets easier to not be cynical about it.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
The main problem here is one: Disney.
Their over marketing is obnoxious, they milk their "cows" until they drop dead.
Why so much marketing on every fucking product with Star Wars? Fans dont need that and for people who dont like/ care , they are getting tired and wont become fond of it.
3 more saga movies + 3 anthology movies (why this? They wont bring anything new ffs).?
But of course, if fanvoys demand this shit, they will get this shit.
Getting tired of this overrated and hysterical circus.

I know Disney need to pay the 4 billion investment but stop for a minute. Let people breathe for a moment and appreciate one thing BEFORE they get a new one.

I read on many comments around the web and imo, is getting more true than ever:
The worst thing about Star Wars it's its fanbase.

You need to change #1 up there from Disney to Lucasfilm. Who do you think created the blueprint for marketing and merchandising the bejesus out of a film property? Lucasfilm's modus operandi is no different now than it was back when they were previously in regular, active production on movie titles. The only thing that has changed is it isn't all running essentially through one guy anymore and the only reason it ever slowed down under that one guy was the studios weren't interested enough in his other projects that weren't either Star Wars or Indiana Jones.

At any rate, they've recently indicated that they are actually concerned about audience fatigue saying that after the current slate of movies is done they're looking at taking a pause on making any new ones and focusing on television. Personally I'm skeptical of that but we'll see.

As for the anthology movies, if you're wanting to see Star Wars move out from the shadow of the OT to something truly different then those are your best hope. They figure they can take more of a chance on a one-off as opposed to setting up a trilogy on something unproven.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Dont care about the milking if the milk is good.

Disney:
Rebels (toon) continued with flood of new empire uniforms more than Rupaul's wardrobe since the prequels all because Lucas got angry over the stormtrooper helmet license fiasco.
Rogue One turned Rebels into murders, and kept up the uniform flood.

vs

Lucas:
Making up things as he goes demanding he must over see to the point nothing makes sense and trying to over cute characters just to please his brat son that doesnt care about it. Idea man is best with ideas not script writing and directing.

Much as I hate what damage Disney has done, still glad lucas doesnt have it anymore. Just wish CBS would go bankrupt so Disney could buy another franchise and we finally get that much wanted crossover! :p

trek-vader-xlarge-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqRp36Ti1MFCYr8PMuS2fHb17hoDUspm84EYl8tHPMRlk.jpg

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
"The Force is strong in my family, my father had it, I have it, my sister has it. You have that power too."

From The Force Awakens Trailer, who was Luke talking to?

Edit: Whoops - from ROTJ

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I think it's too soon to judge the depth of Rey's character. She doesn't know who she is, we don't know who she is or what role she will have in Ep 8+9. She's in a similar situation to Luke in Ep4, but whereas Luke had Uncle Owen & co feeding him bs about his past, Rey doesn't know a god damn thing. Each character is living their own life in ignorant bliss in their desert shitholes until events beyond their control force them into the Empire conflicts and just happen to stumble into their Force abilities (Luke having had the benefit of coming across ObiWan while searching for his droids). I will happily wait and see what direction Ep8 takes with her actually being trained and assume we get more backstory of her parental lineage. Can't call her character shallow when not a whole hell of a lot happened in TFA for her personal journey.

Rey's Story so far:
1) Little / no memory of her abandonment on desert planet & simply goes about her daily life.
1) Stumbled into the Empire's crosshairs due to a droid.
2) Told all of the stories and mythos of Jedi and the Force are true
3) Confrontation with main antagonist reveals ("awakens") her own Force powers
4) Travels to see Luke to return his saber and begin training

Again, I am happy to wait and see how it all unfolds. I like her acting. I can't complain about Rey's character so far.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
Rich Evans is a fucking prophet. Title and what we're presuming to be a driving plot point for ep 8.

edit: this video came out a month before TFA

iannis

Musty Nester
"The Force is strong in my family, my father had it, I have it, my sister has it. You have that power too."

From The Force Awakens Trailer, who was Luke talking to?

Edit: Whoops - from ROTJ

That's how he told Leia that they were brother and sister. I remember it slightly different. The force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. STARE AT LEIA.

It made more sense than that one line because they'd been giving her increasing empathy for Luke. So when he told her that it was just, "oh. That really does explain it."

It also means he's Prince Luke and should totally take her throne by right, but you know.

spronk

FPS noob
leia was legally adopted by senator bail organa and queen breha of alderaan, luke would have no claim. All Luke gets is a patch of dirt on tatooine and some blue milk

although after ROTJ he should be legally recognized as Darth Vader's son and get claims to all his Imperial properties, but then again he would be considered a terrorist to the imperials and probably stripped of all lands and rights

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
leia was legally adopted by senator bail organa and queen breha of alderaan, luke would have no claim. All Luke gets is a patch of dirt on tatooine and some blue milk

although after ROTJ he should be legally recognized as Darth Vader's son and get claims to all his Imperial properties, but then again he would be considered a terrorist to the imperials and probably stripped of all lands and rights

I'm sure he could get that moisture farm running again. But apparently he just wanted to hide on some island. No work ethic with these Jedi.

At least kylo's out there force choking bitches. Yeah, he's sad and insecure and a try hard... But he does put the work in.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Rian Johnson (unintentionally??) busting on JJ in tweeting about the placement of Kylo's scar.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Rian right doe. It did look kinda goofy.

Not movie bustingly goofy, and I actually like that actor a lot. But he IS a goofy lookin dude to begin with. But you know, the little things. I'm not #1 star wars fan or anything (I like it, even new new hope), but I do appreciate attention to detail.

I thought BB8 was sufficiently cute. I accept him and his product line as R3D2. And no midgets were harmed in the filming of the movie!