Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
not long after the OT finished, Lucas in an interview talked about a set of films that would include the rise of Darth Vader. i never heard him talk about sequels to the films though. thats just disney starting up their money printing machine.

Any day when I can slip in a Bloom County strip it's a good day

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/45/03/6a/45036ae74fb5ff3288e27a99a8e4e48d.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
It was written as ONE movie originally.

this is the correct answer, most people thought it was gonna flop badly and really only the editing by his wife and story tweaks by people like Brian DePalma saved the movie. Originally the crawl was way longer and had text like Phantom Menace about trade wars and crap, but a bunch of people went in and streamlined the movies to make it good. The movie was gonna ortiginally open on some weird scene with Luke and Biggs talking about becoming pilots and watching the capture of Tantive IV by Vaders ship. The sad/weird thing is his wife never did anything after Star Wars, I imagine she must be relaxing somewhere with Lucas money after they divorced but its weird she won an oscar for the editing in that movie (years and years later) but didn't want to do anything else.

Lucas at some point had some plans for episodes 7 through 9, while they are whacky as hell and basically "Honey I Shrunk The Star Wars" they are at least not rehashes of 4

“Everyone hated it in Phantom Menace [when] we started to talk about midi-chlorians,” Lucas tells Cameron, who conducts the interview. “There’s a whole aspect to that movie that is about symbiotic relationships. To make you look and see that we aren’t the boss. That there’s an ecosystem.”

And how would that have related to the sequels? “[The next three Star Wars films] were going to get into a microbiotic world,” he continues. ”But there’s this world of creatures that operate differently than we do. I call them the Whills. And the Whills are the ones who actually control the universe. They feed off the Force.”

• 3Like
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
The nine episode thing was mentioned around the time of Empire Strikes Back I think, or whenever the numbering was changed to 4, 5, 6.

It's pretty clear he had no plans for it though, just ideas. It was a marketing gimmick to say he had it all planned out from the start.

• 2Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
The nine episode thing was mentioned around the time of Empire Strikes Back I think, or whenever the numbering was changed to 4, 5, 6.

It's pretty clear he had no plans for it though, just ideas. It was a marketing gimmick to say he had it all planned out from the start.

Ohh, when Star Wars came out, it was not originally called Star Wars 4?

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Technical ace by Jumanji

That figure is pretty telling, considering Rise of Skywalker is now showing in just 3,053 theaters (much less than last weekend’s 4,279) compared to Jumanji: The Next Level’s 3,323 theater count. Jumanji came out a week before Rise of Skywalker and premiered in 4,227 theaters to the Disney film’s 4,406 on opening weekend. That means Rise of Skywalker dropped 1,353 theaters in four weeks, compared to Jumanji dropping just 904 theaters in five weeks. This shows that a film like Jumanji has been able to capture its audience and continue to draw steady numbers each week, while Rise of Skywalker has started to seek an escape route.

Jumanji is holding more theaters than Rise, same time table.

Rise is tanking finally.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Technical ace by Jumanji

Jumanji is holding more theaters than Rise, same time table.

Rise is tanking finally.

maybe they will unfreeze the RT adience review from 86% to what it actual says. it got frozen almost a month ago.

• 2Like

Goatface

they will probably keep it there till it falls out of the top 10, it did drop to 52% and now lowest rating movie
1579359312328.png

• 2Like

Singh'sSpot

Blackwing Lair Raider
950mil, so close yet so far away from the billion.

I knew it was gonna make it's money back and thought it would make a billion, same as TLJ but falling under? That is a surprise.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I still love the line one reviewer gave about how they handed JJ a bunch of straw and he managed to make bronze and aluminum. He made something watchable but still not enough to salvage the trilogy. We made box office predictions over a year out and some of us were dead on with doing a billion but not much more, but I also think the people who bet on $800m weren't that far off either because that's what it would be if it was totally unwatchable garbage. I'll credit JJ with getting them an extra 25% to cross that billion threshold.

But the bottom line is he didn't save the franchise, all content in the new trilogy era is still a toxic black hole no one wants to see or touch for decades to come. They should have money flowing out of their asses but the pit they dug for themselves is not even half filled with the actual return they got out of this. So the theme parks will become a cash shop of nostalgia for the OT and (part of) the prequels.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
950mil, so close yet so far away from the billion.

I knew it was gonna make it's money back and thought it would make a billion, same as TLJ but falling under? That is a surprise.

Yet still it maintains it's magical 86% audience score..... MAGIC!

• 4Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Bethany Lacina (@bethany_lacina) is an associate professor of political science at the University of Rochester.
Her website bio
The through lines in my research are conflict and ethnic identities. I've written books and articles about conflicts over migration and movements for ethnic territorial autonomy, public support for war, and war costs.

I also research politics and American popular culture. I've investigated controversies involving Star Wars, Marvel movies, and the National Football League.
So the answer is, yes, her article has started the trolling.

• 4Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Blows my mind that a movie bringing in only $1b is considered a failure nowadays.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Blows my mind that a movie bringing in only $1b is considered a failure nowadays.
I mean when a movie costs a couple of hundred million to produce, then a couple of hundred million for marketing that's just the economics of it. I remember they made a real big deal when True Lies cost over 100 million to produce.

• 1Like