State of the Union

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Ever try to stop a car that has it's brakes cut? All you can do is take your foot off the accelerator and dodge obstacles, braking doesn't work without brakes.

If you were talking about a minor issue (equivalent to going 5-10 mph) I'd agree those things should be rectified. Even the 20 mphish stuff like Gitmo is annoying to not be dealt with yet. But when you're dealing with a complete clusterfuck (90 mph) that's a long time of coasting to get it back down to normal. [and he's been making headway in many cases - although some do seem to be sidelined - probably from juggling so much...]
Take it you've never driven a standard, down shift slows you down
smile.png

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
The amount of credit/blame we assign to the President is completely out of whack relative to their actual power in general. Humans just have this fixation with 'leadership' and 'scapegoats' that they just can't get over. For most issues, the Presidency largely just acts as a decoy to take the heat off of Congress, and we always let them get away with it. You'll see Congressmen go on camera and blame the President for shit like "out of control" spending. Something they themselves control. It's hilarious and sad at the same time.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Apparently with the "instant fix" mentality that many in the thread have - they do expect just that. (Irony being these same people will be quick to quote that "Congress isn't designed to move quickly" - and most changes involve some level of Congressional involvement....)
When it comes down to the gay marriage argument, I'm at a loss because it's a lot like the weed debacle. National polling is all in favor of it but yet, nothing gets done and that's what bothers me, just fucking pass the laws so people can go about smoking their weed and fucking dudes in the butt.

Quick Edit: Mostly the fault like always falls on the young people for not voting. If people of my generation actually bothered to vote, we wouldn't have these geriatric assholes voting against us so often.

Chris

Potato del Grande
As an outsider Obama seems a bit shit really, we really had high hopes too after Bush. His only thing internationally was hope for black people, which has been utterly overshadowed by Mandela. He also appears to be losing the Cold War to Putin, which is surprising since that war was won 25 years ago. It isn't all/mostly his fault as the congress/republicans seem even worse.

The US is been losing it's prestige and position of leadership in the world since Clinton left office, that is easily reversable with a competent guy in charge though since you still have the army/nukes/cultural victory. I suggest going for Hilary Clinton.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
We seem to pull it together when shit hits the fan. We just need someone else to direct our hate at, otherwise we point it at each other.

iannis

Musty Nester
The amount of credit/blame we assign to the President is completely out of whack relative to their actual power in general. Humans just have this fixation with 'leadership' and 'scapegoats' that they just can't get over. For most issues, the Presidency largely just acts as a decoy to take the heat off of Congress, and we always let them get away with it. You'll see Congressmen go on camera and blame the President for shit like "out of control" spending. Something they themselves control. It's hilarious and sad at the same time.
The Presidents play this game too, and they grab every little scrap of power that they can.

It's not like Obama is a blameless victim here. In fact, he's not either one.

But yes -- Americans expect more from a President than is reasonable. "I can't fix x/y/z" is a perfectly valid reason. Maybe they should stop running on platforms of "I can fix x/y/z". And maybe voters should stop believing their pandering.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Here's another example of using emotions to manipulate opinion into action, This one was in the SOTU.

No, Women Don't Make Less Money Than Men - The Daily Beast

The White House should stop using women's choices to construct a false claim about social inequality that is poisoning our gender debates. And if the President is truly persuaded that statistical pay disparities indicate invidious discrimination, then he should address the wage gap in his own backyard. Female staff at the White House earn 88 cents on the dollar compared to men. Is there a White House war on women?

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Except that "bogus statistic" as they state also has a discrepancy within the same fucking field when women decide to work the same field as a man in many cases. But you know... Garglechimps gonna garglechimp.

Weaponsfree_sl

shitlord
Except that "bogus statistic" as they state also has a discrepancy within the same fucking field when women decide to work the same field as a man in many cases. But you know... Garglechimps gonna garglechimp.
But if you actually looked at the article the discrepancy narrows to 5 cents.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
It's not the number the president stated in front of the entire country that's for sure, it's almost invisibly closer.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
It's definitely less of a gap than 77 cents for every dollar, but politicslol. Arguing against closing the supposed wage gap is just a good way to lose votes.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
But if you actually looked at the article the discrepancy narrows to 5 cents.
That's not the proper figure, not that the President's used figure covers that either - the discrepancy in identical POSITION (not degree like the article used as false equivalency) was around 17 cents last time I read up on the matter in HR periodicals (probably about a year or so ago, been lazy about reading the ones I still have coming).

In fact, looking at the history of writing of the author who's trying to sell a book called "The War on Boys" - I'd suspect her methodology should be analyzed more before giving her too much weight to her argument that flies in the face of all other data. Not that she provides her methodology, mind you.

PS - Did read the article earlier - didn't you note that "bogus statistic" was an article phrase that I quoted intentionally? Seriously.

Fanaskin: 5% isn't invisibly closer 5% is enough for people to drive 60-100 miles around here to save having to spend money on sales tax which was the same figure for years and only recently went 1% above that. (And not that I've ever seen anyone quote 5% EVER for identical positions in my entire HR history... maybe cherrypicking a few fields you could prove that, but then there's the rest of the career world in play...)

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Atleast you see through that deception even if you don't see how to same exact methodology is in play for the remarks of the trayvon case.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
where is lithose so he can fuck you over? you are more dense than republican diehard.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
last time I read up on the matter in HR periodicals
If you are going to make claims you have to back them up with some kind of reference, you seem to think working in HR makes you an authority on 50 different subjects, no i'm not going to take your word for it.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Atleast you see through that deception even if you don't see how to same exact methodology is in play for the remarks of the trayvon case.
The Trayvon remarks aren't the same. In theory, his remarks could've been slightly different and I might agree with you that he was just being politically expedient, but that didn't happen. You're reading too much into it and seeing something that isn't there. His comments were completely appropriate and not even remotely as opportunistic as they could've been given the political climate at that time.