Stephen King's The Dark Tower

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The first film should have been gritty, based on the first book only, and inexpensive. It's The Man With No Name in a Weird West setting. That's it. We're in a wasteland, he shoots a bunch of people, we spend a little time with Flagg and Jake, Jake says "go forth for there are worlds other than these", the end. It's almost a self contained story.

Then in the second film you start introducing the magic doors and crazy Allied Positronics cyber bear guardians shit.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
‘The Dark Tower’: Clashing Visions, Brutal Test Screenings Plagued Journey to Big Screen

shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone but it looks like this movie is gonna be a dumpster fire. They redid it as a young adult movie (wtf). Apparently in the test screenings they told the audience that they shouldn't write anything about recasting one of the leads, its too late for that (most people are guessing its Matthew Mc who plays the bad guy)

movie is also only 88 mins long, releases in 3 days, no preview screenings afaik and not sure if critics are allowed to review before. sub 20% RT?

Ya the previews for it inverted my penis. It's going to be a combo of cheese and cringe all the way through.

The first three were honestly masterpieces, but it went full retard once he introduced himself as a book character. Unlike most, I didn't mind the last book nor the ending, but it would have been impossible to live up to expectations for the ending, and I was prepared because King was never known for being able to deliver on quality conclusions.

In hindsite book 1 and 4 were the only books I'd consider great out of the series. 2 and 3 were entertaining and 5+ were meh to bad.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
‘The Dark Tower’: Clashing Visions, Brutal Test Screenings Plagued Journey to Big Screen

shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone but it looks like this movie is gonna be a dumpster fire. They redid it as a young adult movie (wtf). Apparently in the test screenings they told the audience that they shouldn't write anything about recasting one of the leads, its too late for that (most people are guessing its Matthew Mc who plays the bad guy)

movie is also only 88 mins long, releases in 3 days, no preview screenings afaik and not sure if critics are allowed to review before. sub 20% RT?

I swear, one of the most prolific story teller of our times, and yet we still have not gotten a good movie out of any of his books. This is fucking sad.

Edit: The shining, back in like 1980, lol.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Shawshank Redemption also. They are more bad than good though.

Fadaar

That guy
I swear, one of the most prolific story teller of our times, and yet we still have not gotten a good movie out of any of his books. This is fucking sad.

Edit: The shining, back in like 1980, lol.

Shawshank Redemption was a Stephen King book. I'll admit I had to go look up what movies he was associated with because I was sure there was at least one other masterpiece in there, and that was it. There's also a few other greats -- Carrie, It, Misery, and The Green Mile. Looking at his IMDB page JFC I didn't know just HOW many goddamn books he's had adapted.

Edit: Bah, Brutul beat me while I was looking through stuff

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I forgot about SR and TGM. Those were OK, just OK, but not really his best books either. They tried so many and most sucked balls.

Some studio like Netflix or HBO needs to do one.

spronk

FPS noob
isn't there some anthology series based on his universe being made? People also seem to be saying good things about IT

and who can forget the 80s classic, Maximum Overdrive

• 1Solidarity

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
IT was no where close to book. I mean, no movie will be, its just that when I read that book in my pre teens, that shit scared me, the movie made me laugh. Maximum overdrive was good tough, i forgot about that one.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Shawshank Redemption was "just ok"? Come on dude, that was a great movie. 91% on rotten tomatoes and 7 oscar nominations (although no wins).

"Stand By Me" was another Stephen King adaptation that is generally considered to be a very good movie although I have not personally seen it.

• 2Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
His worst one had to be "The Lawnmower Man". It was 37% on RT, but that was only because the critics thought the computer animation was impressive for the time. In King's defense though, the plot of the movie had absolutely nothing to do with the King story which was written in the early 70's before "virtual reality" or "the internet" were even words.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Holy shit, I forgot about Children of the Corn, "he who walks behind the rows" Fuck yeah!

• 1Solidarity

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I've complained about this before and I'm going to complain about it again but he sabotaged his own multiverse in the later Dark Tower books. Some of the books are real events (real in that they take place at least somewhere in the multiverse) and some books are Stephen King the Writer interpreting the Song of the Turtle. They're fictional in this already fictional construct. Insominia is an example of one of those books. It's not a story of real events that happened somewhere in reality. It's a representation cobbled together by King. It's "thin."

That's why when what's his face shows up at the end it's not the same dude we see at the end of Insomnia. The character in the Dark Tower is the real deal. The character in Insomnia is an interpretation or vision of the real person.

The reason this bothers me is that because King wussed out and tossed some of his books aside as being fictionalized in his own fucking fiction all of the connections he has included in so many of his books are less meaningful. So Insomnia connects to It, Firestarter, Tommyknockers, Pet Semetary, and a whole host of other books. What am I to even make of these connections now? There's the real events of the Dark Tower and then there's all this shit our particular version of Stephen King wrote that isn't real. He made half his own fucking books double fiction.

One stupid, lazy way out because he didn't know how to tie Insomnia together with the conclusion of the series and make it work and he set fire to three decades of his own effort to tie shit together. As an insult to his readers he introduces in one of the later Dark Tower books a secret organization that combs through is work night and day looking for references to The Dark Tower. He's clearly aping on his own fans and their love of the interconnectivety. Well asshole you fucked all that up.

I'm going to go into my fucking grave pissed off about this series.

"Stand By Me" was another Stephen King adaptation that is generally considered to be a very good movie although I have not personally seen it.

It's pretty great and well worth a watch. If you're read some of his other books like It and Dreamcatcher you're going to see some familiar King tropes though. Irredeemable bully, quirky group of child friends, Maine, etc.

If anyone hasn't seen Storm of the Century go watch Storm of the Century. I like Shawshank Redemption, Stand by Me, and Maximum Overdrive (fuck the it's awesome) a ton but Storm of the Century is just so fucking great.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
SK has TONS of adaptions and out of those TONS there are a lot of good/entertaining ones.
Creepshow
Cujo
Christine
Salem's Lot
The Shining
Green Mile
Misery
Dolores Claiborne
Dead Zone
Running Man
Hearts In Atlantis
Shawshank Redemption
Carrie
Firestarter
Children Of The Corn
Maximum Overdrive
Silver Bullet

honorable mention
Stand By Me
Pet Semetary
because it gave us nightmare fuel like this.
giphy.gif

tumblr_nx18stuGae1rfd7lko1_400.gif

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Between the movie and the book there is the perfect horror story in Pet Semetary. The movie fucks up when it introduces the story of the father that buried his son in the ol' Mickmack Burial Grounds and he comes back a zombie. In the book he comes back harrowed. He knows things he shouldn't and when confronted speaks the sins of those that approach. It's creepy as fuck. Also, when Jud tells the story of his dog that he buried there in the book the dog just comes out kinda stupid. In the movie it's all fucked up and mean. If Jud's dog came out sorta ok his motivation makes a bit more sense even if the grounds are influencing people. You don't always get a monster.

But the book doesn't do anywhere near as much with Victor Pascow. That mangled jogger steals every fucking scene he's in. Goddamn I love that guy.

• 1Like