Stranger Things

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I have some millennial friends who were born in the 90s but who are nevertheless unabashed John Carpenter fans who are absolutely beside themselves over this series. When talking to them it is clear one reason, beyond the obvious quality and 80s tropes, is that it is something they can see new.
I think he meant like horror-wise.

Kids are autistic pussies these days so probably 11 or so for a minimum.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
I watched it with my 2 month old and all he did was shit himself or fuss for my wife. Your niece should be fine.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was born in '83 so it was pretty funny how almost every domestic scene I was going "hey we had those" :p I don't generally like horror, but this wasn't really horror, it was just... good. The kids were fantastic. Apparently the writers have some huge document that details how the world/creature(s) work so it would be more consistent.

Also, now I get to say "The Shadow vale beckons" to my wife randomly all the time, which is great

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Finally finished this and loved it. Nothing really new to add except it nailed the 80's without clubbing you over the fucking head with it like Ready Player One. At no point did I find the show trying to cram in as many references as possible. It was simply a show set in the 80's.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Loved that David Harbour was in this a ton, normally his roles are a lot smaller. He seems be be getting a lot more work lately.

Also anyone know where that lake is located ?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Great show, really glad I watched it. It got better and better as it went on, hoping that S2 isn't predictable.

iannis

Musty Nester
I think he meant like horror-wise.

Kids are autistic pussies these days so probably 11 or so for a minimum.

I'd say tenish. It would probably scare a six year old, bother an eight year old. A ten year old is probably hardened enough to be thrilled, but not have nightmares.

But I suspect that the internet is really desensitizing kids that young to visual media. So as always, I'm sure it depends on the kid.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Damn, a ton of you guys are still bitter about your highschool crushes. Of course the chick stayed with Steve, no way it would have played out another way irl, and it would have been lame as hell if she'd done the whole "dump the jock to hook up with the highschool loser once she sees his sensitive side" BS. Steve wasn't even that bad a guy, I kept expecting the to play into the usual tropes about jerky popular HS boyfriends, but I was pleasantly surprised when they toed the line and gave him a much more sympathetic and nuanced depiction.

Black kid was annoying as fuck, dunno why his character bothered me so much, liked him better towards the end.

I felt the same - I think it's because they didn't do enough (anything, really) to establish that his dislike of El is based on his jealousy over her taking up all of Mike's attention, so it just seemed like he was being a jerk for no reason, which felt like shoddy writing. Once Mike had that convo with Dustin where they discuss it I started to sympathize, I had an "ohhh" moment and liked him a lot more afterwards.

Anyway just finished the show and I fucking loved it - even as someone who was born in '89 and has zero 80's nostalgia. There were a few small things that bugged me, but the only really big one was the ending, the way it felt so tacked on as a lead in to a second season.

This is the kind of show which imo should really just stand on it's own, I don't see how a second season could possibly work out, especially if they try and set it in the near future with the same characters. If they try and American Horror Story/True Detective approach it might work out, although even that's a stretch.

Anyway, I was amazed by how well the kids carried the show - the fact that it was so focused on kids is part of why I wasn't interested immediately, but other than one or two groanworthy moments they fucking nailed it.

We really are living in an amazing time for television.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
I thought Nancy staying with Steve was very good writing. We've seen that cliche 10,000 times, but this time the "douche" has some depth and humanity. Perfect.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Exactly. It's the whole stupid "hot chick dumps her jock boyfriend for the sensitive guy when she realizes he has hidden depth/because he's been her friend all along" trope which has romantically crippled a generation of men who were raised on that shit and never told that it doesn't work like that irl.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
She wasn't supposed to end up with Steve. It was a last minute change because they liked the actor a lot which was a good thing

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Exactly. It's the whole stupid "hot chick dumps her jock boyfriend for the sensitive guy when she realizes he has hidden depth/because he's been her friend all along" trope which has romantically crippled a generation of men who were raised on that shit and never told that it doesn't work like that irl.

Let's be honest. His redemption moment was A++ top notch. Coming back and knocking that fucking thing out so everyone could escape? Hell yea Steve!

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users