Stranger Things

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Was kinda hoping the second season would be another town, different characters, but another mystertious lab outside town. Different type of experiment goes wrong. Can tie in previous cast, and plotlines for certain episodes.

I dunno, I'll watch the shit out if it, eapecially if Cameron is actually involved.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Just finished this, was pretty great despite a few horror clichés happening. Good payoff at the end.

Trying to figure out the mechanics of the upside down. Trees are interdimensional creatures since they exist in both dimensions?

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Just finished this, was pretty great despite a few horror clichés happening. Good payoff at the end.

Trying to figure out the mechanics of the upside down. Trees are interdimensional creatures since they exist in both dimensions?

Seems like it was a mirror universe with everything here other than sentient life forms existing there. Although I suppose that could only be the case in some proximity to the gateway. It could have been causing our world to bleed into the upside down. That could explain how there were things like buildings and cars without anyone there to create them.

Last edited:

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i thought it was pretty awesome with very few exceptions.

one geek nitpick though. when richboy drops geekboy's pentax k1000 camera on the ground, it falls on the telephoto lens smashing it. the camera body should still be fine with possibly the mirror suffering some damage. for his xmas present he got a new camera which only has a basic 50mm lens on the box. later we see him taking pictures in the house, but his camera has the telephoto lens again.
yeah, geek things.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Apparently the reason they are sticking with the current story line is because the director/writers created a big backstory for the darkverse creatures they encountered so they want to dig into that mythology. Not sure it's worth it but I guess these guys want to save their original stories for making movies (I would too).

Also the kids would be a hell of a lot more believable if they argued over Betamax vs VHS just cause their parents bought one or the other. I know we did...

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Apparently the reason they are sticking with the current story line is because the director/writers created a big backstory for the darkverse creatures they encountered so they want to dig into that mythology. Not sure it's worth it but I guess these guys want to save their original stories for making movies (I would too).

Also the kids would be a hell of a lot more believable if they argued over Betamax vs VHS just cause their parents bought one or the other. I know we did...
In 1983 or whenever this was, VCRs were just starting to become mainstream and VHS was the clear winner. Betamax had better picture, but the machines cost more. I think we got our first vcr in 85 or 86. It was a VHS. Kids on my block got theirs about the same time. All VHSes. I dont think any of us gave a fuck about betamax vs VHS, just who rented nightmare on elm street or back to the future or star wars and could we all meet up to watch it?

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah the betamax thing was more of an late 70's/early 80's thing so not sure how old you were at the time. By the later half of the 80's VHS was the clear winner obvs. Now I am remembering shit like ONTV and SelectTV haha.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Just binged season 1 this weekend. Really good show, I loved the goonies feel. I hope they leave this story alone and move on to something else for next season, like Fargo does. Though, i liked the main cast enough (the kids anyway) that it wouldn't bother me to see more of them. Maybe they could do the American horror Story thing and put the same cast into another story. But i worry if they keep it going in this storyline that by season 3 it'll be a shitshow like haven turned into.

I don't think Will is the new monster, I think the monster just impregnated him. That's why he was in that cocoon with the tube in his throat when no one else was found like that or even survived the initial encounter with it. The creature probably raped him that first night and let him go. Then later he put him on life support so he'd survive until the baby (or babies) hatched.

As for the mention of papa in the newspaper article. It was written while Will was still in the hospital. It could be that they were just covering up his death by releasing the "no comment under advice of counsel" statement. They showed they were covering up a lot of deaths already.

My only nerd pick about the show was the creature being impervious to gunfire, but a baseball bat with spikes and a bear trap fucked him up. I guess there is more potential energy from a well swung baseball bat though. No clue how much force a bear trap puts out.

Oh and i really liked the science teacher who was well versed in a wider variety of subjects than anyone else I ever knew. They must have been like, "Ok we need the kids to get on the internet to figure out how to make a sensory deprivation chamber ... shit, it's 1983 Al gore hadn't invented it yet. Lets use a science teacher! Can the teacher also tell them how to find the gate somehow? Sure, why not. Lets say it's magnets, no one knows how that shit works"

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Oh and i really liked the science teacher who was well versed in a wider variety of subjects than anyone else I ever knew. They must have been like, "Ok we need the kids to get on the internet to figure out how to make a sensory deprivation chamber ... shit, it's 1983 Al gore hadn't invented it yet. Lets use a science teacher! Can the teacher also tell them how to find the gate somehow? Sure, why not. Lets say it's magnets, no one knows how that shit works"
Science Teacher was way OP
10788670_stranger-things-gears-up-for-a-showdown_td38e5f63.jpg

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I did appreciate the tail the science teacher pulled

spronk

FPS noob
Binge watched this week, wife joined in which is surprising since she rarely likes horror or violent stuff. Absolutely loved it, what else is there to say its a love letter to 80s movies and its done so, so, so incredibly well in every aspect. Not sure I'd enjoy a season 2 since the newness and mystery was such an amazing part of the story, but I'm more than willing to give the brothers a chance.

Opening credits is also just flawless, just a perfect 50 seconds of 80s vibe.

If Netflix can keep this up with new series they will grow like a motherfucker, RIP network TV.

• 1Like

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
This has been the first time that I binge watched a show, and then started watching it again two weeks later. It was that good.

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
Finally just watched it myself after people telling me how good it was. I watched the entire season in one day...I feel slightly ashamed of that, but also strangely proud. It was fantastic aside from some minor nitpicks that others have already stated...like a few too many cleche's at some points (though I know a lot of was intentional),
and the apparent imperviousness to bullets but not baseball bats.
Still, enjoyed it immensely overall.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Finished watching this Saturday. Was alright, but didn't think it was as great as others made it out to be.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Struck all the right notes for a nostalgia fest, and it legit made me remember rolling dice as an 8 year old in 1989 and having some critical hit kill something slightly outside our level range. Think it was a fire giant or something. Would happily welcome more of the same, though like others I'm totally on board with them exploring another facet of that world/timeframe that doesn't involve the same characters.