Student Loans and the SAVE plan

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I paid my crap off before the world starts to use bottle caps for currency.

fallout 3 GIF

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The average college student needs to know a lot of other shit not on that test, not just to succeed in school, but also to exist in modern society.

They did not need to spend a bunch of time learning how to drive a car, operate a computer, etc. They also didn't need to learn about the past century's vast scientific advancements. People in 1900 still thought flies spawned from leftover meat.

People dramatically underestimate the cognitive overhead of modern life, or how much new knowledge has been created every year over the past century, and how much it continues to accelerate. Also underestimated is the amount of noise we're bombarded with daily. That the average college student is probably a bit worse at doing advanced trigonometry by hand is a small cost.
Ok, I'm convinced. It's nice knowing that in our old age, we'll be the beneficiaries of a society full of the finest students history has ever produced, created by the similarly finest education system.
Damn, 2024 is looking up already!
thank god singing GIF by WE tv

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The ability of certain people to claim that the internet, where racist shitposts and top secret classified information can be found on side by side within throwing distance of any given cat picture, as some kind of totalitarian censorship state, will never cease to amaze me.

"I've been deplatformed!" he types to thousands of followers from a device that would have been unimaginable 20 years ago.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Ok, I'm convinced. It's nice knowing that in our old age, we'll be the beneficiaries of a society full of the finest students history has ever produced, created by the similarly finest education system.
Damn, 2024 is looking up already!
thank god singing GIF by WE tv
If everything was so broken and everyone was so dumb, why do previously unimaginable, world-altering advancements keep coming out every few years?

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If everything was so broken and everyone was so dumb, why do previously unimaginable, world-altering advancements keep coming out every few years?
Well, first:
I don't think anyone would argue that the smartest students aren't smarter now.
World-altering advancements aren't coming from average people. The best of the best will succeed despite their environment having turned to shit, and those that also have the best of the best environments, obviously more so.

And second, you say that as if it's impossible that things ever backslide. (See all of the other posts about the degradation of complex systems.) We should all be horrified at anything that degrades our education system. Even if we could instantly fix the issues with education (whatever that means), the results of the current state will take decades to fully manifest.

It's like this thread has a weird form of Gell-Mann Amnesia where basically every other thread is about things going off the rails, but somehow education happens to be just fine, best ever in fact! Best ever students too! God knows why everything isn't perfect then.

Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
And second, you say that as if it's impossible that things ever backslide.
I definitely didn't say that. Nowhere will you find that in what I said. You appear to have a reading comprehension problem, what was your SAT score for verbal?

Anyway, secondary and post-secondary education contributes very little to general intelligence, and therefore the ability to solve general problems given the tools generally available. As long as young kids have access to books and other reading resources during critical periods of development, they will reach something close to their maximum potential general intelligence. Which for most people is pretty average; that's how Bell curves work. People with high general intelligence generally outperform average people in life, regardless of educational attainment. Intelligence tends to find its level.

Last edited:
  • 1Salty

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I definitely didn't say that. Nowhere will you find that in what I said. You appear to have a reading comprehension problem, what was your SAT score for verbal?

Anyway, secondary and post-secondary education contributes very little to general intelligence, and therefore the ability to solve general problems given the tools generally available. As long as young kids have access to books and other reading resources during critical periods of development, they will reach something close to their maximum potential general intelligence. Which for most people is pretty average; that's how Bell curves work. People with high general intelligence generally outperform average people in life, regardless of educational attainment. Intelligence tends to find its level.
So you use scientific progress up to this point as evidence that people aren't dumb and things aren't broken. And ok, so you apparently think that backsliding is possible, but you're here arguing that people are smarter now than in the past (is this solely in reference to now versus 1900? or do you think it's been a relatively steady advancement over time?). And also that education doesn't matter, so no point in worrying about it falling apart? Yeah, I feel like my point about the wheels coming off still stands, but feel free to show me on the doll where my lack of comprehension touched you.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
but you're here arguing that people are smarter now than in the past
Nope, I didn't argue this either.

The basic hardware does not change very much, and the amount of shit we have to know and pay attention to continues to grow.

We live in a noisy, chaotic world that's literally changing faster than we can think. That people might 'seem' stupider by dint of being overwhelmed by it all is understandable, but it doesn't fundamentally change people's General Intelligence, their ability to reason through novel problems. Which again, is pretty average for most people, that's just statistics.

• 1Salty

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

Can you give ten examples?

The only recent and accessible advancement I can think of is Chat-GPT, which is easily distributed bc software. Everything else is bottle-necked to the rich or heavily-subsidized. You can't even get fast food at a reasonable speed/quality anymore bc the workers are either incompetent or cut corners. That's 80 year old innovation back-peddling at a rapid pace.

The more you get out, the more readily apparent it is. So, it makes sense that you're oblivious to this phenomenon.

Do the bottom feeders eventualy get so heavy that they sink the rest of the ship? I'd suggest that it's already happening, but it'll just take another 20 years to experience the pain.

• 1Beagling

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Can you give ten examples?

The only recent and accessible advancement I can think of is Chat-GPT, which is easily distributed bc software. Everything else is bottle-necked to the rich or heavily-subsidized.
Low IQ take. The smartphone is the most democratized technology the world has ever seen. Practically every adult on the planet has one, and they're all roughly just about as good as the other, IE a $1400 iphone is not that much better than a $200 Motorola. They both run basically the same apps and browse the same web. One has fancier photos. For some people, a smartphone costs quite a lot larger share of their annual income to buy, but they buy them anyway because they're so valuable to their lives.

Also, cars. It used to be only fancy cars had backup cameras and other safety sensors. Now even >35K cars have all the latest features and device integrations. A >25k car has many features that only luxury cars had 15 years ago.

That fast food is your example is very telling. Fast food is not an innovation, it's literally the worst thing you can spend your dollars on. It is true that a few of the major chains have taken a huge hit in quality and value per dollar. How about not eating there?

Your complaint seems to be that people working the lowest wage jobs appear to be very dumb. Again, this is how Bell curves work, this is not a fixable problem. No amount of education brings up the bottom of the curve. Every generation has complained that the people doing low wage jobs are dumb.

Last edited:
  • 1Salty

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The ability of certain people to claim that the internet, where racist shitposts and top secret classified information can be found on side by side within throwing distance of any given cat picture, as some kind of totalitarian censorship state, will never cease to amaze me.

"I've been deplatformed!" he types to thousands of followers from a device that would have been unimaginable 20 years ago.
Good to see your Gold status hasn't changed you. Still a douche :trollface:

Fucker

Log Wizard
Good to see your Gold status hasn't changed you. Still a douche :trollface:
He's getting crazier by the week. Fat lonely tranny with no friends, works at Wal Mart. Rivals Foler for making shit up, pretends to have a high IQ, but like being a woman is merely illusory.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
He's getting crazier by the week. Fat lonely tranny with no friends, works at Wal Mart. Rivals Foler for making shit up, pretends to have a high IQ, but like being a woman is merely illusory.
I think you described Scuba Steve too.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Low IQ take. The smartphone is the most democratized technology the world has ever seen. Practically every adult on the planet has one, and they're all roughly just about as good as the other, IE a $1400 iphone is not that much better than a $200 Motorola. They both run basically the same apps and browse the same web. One has fancier photos. For some people, a smartphone costs quite a lot larger share of their annual income to buy, but they buy them anyway because they're so valuable to their lives.

Also, cars. It used to be only fancy cars had backup cameras and other safety sensors. Now even >35K cars have all the latest features and device integrations. A >25k car has many features that only luxury cars had 15 years ago.

That fast food is your example is very telling. Fast food is not an innovation, it's literally the worst thing you can spend your dollars on. It is true that a few of the major chains have taken a huge hit in quality and value per dollar. How about not eating there?

Your complaint seems to be that people working the lowest wage jobs appear to be very dumb. Again, this is how Bell curves work, this is not a fixable problem. No amount of education brings up the bottom of the curve. Every generation has complained that the people doing low wage jobs are dumb.

So he asks for 10 and you can only do 2 and you talk about reading comprehension problems?! Never change Mist.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So he asks for 10 and you can only do 2 and you talk about reading comprehension problems?! Never change Mist.
Not gonna write a thesis with a bibliography to respond to a low effort, low IQ shitpost.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

You're such a goalpost moving faggot.

Your original post implies "giant leaps forward" in very recent years, aka the past 5 - 10 years. You're going back over 100 years to answer my question, lmao. Plus you only gave two super shitty examples. And I said fast food WAS innovative, like in the 1960's you mentally ill manlet.

For someone with a 146+ IQ you're incapable of making simple observations, which we can probably attribute to your agoraphobia and childhood abuse. The lowest paying jobs in America have not always been filled with incompetent people. This is a recent phenomenon isolated to the last 10-20 years, that we're just now only beginning to experience the pain of.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You're going back over 100 years to answer my question, lmao.
What? Where?

The lowest paying jobs in America have not always been filled with incompetent people.
If they were competent, they would not have the lowest paying jobs.

What the fuck, this is basic economics.

You're too fucking dumb to argue with.