Student Loans and the SAVE plan

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Yeah I try to explain this to people on both sides of the spectrum all the time.

You do not get any bonus points awarded at the end of this game for choosing to play it badly.
Besides, nobody gets to opt out of taxes they disagree with. In that system, why would anyone choose to opt out of the occasional benefit they might qualify for?

Itd be one thing if you could opt out of both ends, but if I'm paying when they say I have to pay, I'm damn sure collecting my check when they say I get a check.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Because I paid off my student loans I can righteously state that anyone who takes advantage of this is stealing from me personally.

Also I hope this makes it so that my kids aren't burdened with debt and my savings aren't annihilated with overpriced tuition costs.
Nah, you're savings will just get annihilated by inflation as the Gov prints to pay for all our student debt we scam our way out of.

I can say this righteously because I checked and the plan doesn't save me crap

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm safe, my savings are in gold and dogecoin.

• 1Worf
  • 1Tendies
Reactions: 1 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Honest question. What is you AGI on your 2022 taxes and what is your family size? This is all you need to determine the amount you will be paying back. And the amount will drop in 2024 when more changes are set to occur.

AGI was $130k together, family size of 2. Will definitely go check this shit out today. Husband was able to get about 1/4 of his loans nuked since he worked in a garbage jogger school for 5 years, so he doesn't have quite as much left to pay off. I've still got ~$42k to go.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
They don't even question your income when you fill out everything for the save plan.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
AGI was $130k together, family size of 2. Will definitely go check this shit out today. Husband was able to get about 1/4 of his loans nuked since he worked in a garbage jogger school for 5 years, so he doesn't have quite as much left to pay off. I've still got ~$42k to go.
Most likely its too high together for a decent reduction. Its based on 1.5% of the poverty levels currently. How do your two incomes balance? If one of you is significantly lower than the other, one of you might benefit looking at it individually.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Most likely its too high together for a decent reduction. Its based on 1.5% of the poverty levels currently. How do your two incomes balance? If one of you is significantly lower than the other, one of you might benefit looking at it individually.

I make 2x what he does, so probably much more benefit for him.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You didn't have to sign the IRS consent form?
I had them pull my tax documents. If you elect to use the "personal affidavit" then you need to upload supporting documents such as your tax documents, W2s etc.

Last edited:

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
You didn't have to sign the IRS consent form?
Honestly don't remember since I filled it out a few months ago. They just asked me how much I make and I put in my base salary. Knocked my loans down to 90 bucks a month. It got transferred to mohela after that.

sliverstorm

Trakanon Raider
This thread reminded me that I have a small outstanding variable rate GATE loan. Let's check in on tha--
1701455469240.png

Mind Blown GIF

• 3Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
This SAVE plan doesn't actually forgive any principle, right? They only money-saving benefit(which can be substantial) is the interest the government might cover?

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This SAVE plan doesn't actually forgive any principle, right? They only money-saving benefit(which can be substantial) is the interest the government might cover?
Incorrect. If your payments are lowered to zero that zero payment counts as a payment made and after whatever the years on the loan it is closed as paid in full when it runs it's course. I think it's 20 years, so after 20 years of zero payments your debt is paid in full.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Incorrect. If your payments are lowered to zero that zero payment counts as a payment made and after whatever the years on the loan it is closed as paid in full when it runs it's course. I think it's 20 years, so after 20 years of zero payments your debt is paid in full.
Interesting, I did not see that scanning over the website. Went back through this thread and some of things Palum mentioned either aren't on their website or I missed them too.

More of a curiosity, wife has 2.8k left on her loans. Though, that early forgiveness thing might be applicable.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
So after diligently paying my student loans for the last 7 years or so, I decided to check out the new Biden Income based repayment plan aka SAVE.

Even with my income, it cut my monthly payment by 90% and as long as I make my monthly payment, no interest acrues.

Now ideologically I am firmly opposed to this executive order fuckery. That being said, fuck 'em. I didn't create this stupidity but I am surely gonna take advantage of it with all the tax dollars In have paid over my lifetime. If you have a student loan open, it's probably worth your while to take a peak at this. The application took 5 minutes and they show you the new payment before you hit submit. So you can model it without consequences.
I haven't even signed up for it yet and my payments have been like $37/month. They were around $200/month pre Covid. I was worried about my income being too high this year and how it will effect my future payments but I guess I shouldn't be worried about that.

I have been debating just paying the fuckers off but if they will let me kick the can down the road until I hit the 20 year mark or Congress finally wipes out my debt one day then fuck em, I'll give em the bare minimum.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
An income based repayment program that doesn't ask for income is some serious lol.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users