Tablets

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Between those two? Pixel C. Stock Android which will likely be updated longer than the Tab. Higher resolution screen as well, though I'm sure the Tab has a nice screen.

Walked in to a Best Buy yesterday to look at the Surface Pro 4 and I think I'm finally going to have to upgrade from the Pro 2. The thing is nice as hell. Only question is do I Stick with the i5, 4GB RAM, 128 GB SSD for $1k, or spend the extra $200 on the upgrade to 8GB RAM and a 256 GB SSD. I've had no issues with RAM on the Pro 2, as Chrome is probably the most RAM intensive program I use on it, but that extra storage sure would be nice. I Really wish the found space to put a 2nd USB port on the thing though.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Screen resolutions look shit. I was hoping for cheaper 10" tablets from amazon, but not in exchange for 2010 specs. The 10" is ?199 here, same price as a "regular android" tablet off a discounter which is rocking 1920x1200 pixels and a larger memory out of the box.

I'm a huge Amazon fanboi though and might still get one sooner or later. Maybe one of the small cheapos though, for the kid to mess around on.
And I did it at the latest ?50 sale. I must say I'm surprised at how well it runs considering the price.
Loading Play Store onto it was a matter of minutes too.

With Amazon Prime I have unlimited Pictures storage so I can use it to show pictures of the kids to the grandparents (wifi available). Very nice.
We're also going on a ~600km trip to Italy later this year and I'll be storing some kids series on it (64GB microSD card ftw).

So far I'm quite happy.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I decided to try the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil. I was skeptical, but I've come to really enjoy using it. The split screen view makes a huge difference. I like keeping Twitter open in a narrow column while doing other stuff in the big column. The Smart Keyboard keeps it light while giving me a physical keyboard to type on. The Pro is very fast, too.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Oh lawd! I just discovered an app that makes IOS much more usable. It's called Workflow. You can make your own custom actions and scripts. For example, you can make an action that you add to the Share menu that automatically opens an image, resizes it, crops it, saves it, then posts it. Or you can create an action that opens up a file in the app you choose with just one tap.

One of the things I've lamented is that many times I couldn't save directly to iCloud. With Workflow, I can choose where to save it, including any folder in iCloud. This app is game-changing for how I use my iPad. The app is 40% off right now.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Between those two? Pixel C. Stock Android which will likely be updated longer than the Tab. Higher resolution screen as well, though I'm sure the Tab has a nice screen.

Walked in to a Best Buy yesterday to look at the Surface Pro 4 and I think I'm finally going to have to upgrade from the Pro 2. The thing is nice as hell. Only question is do I Stick with the i5, 4GB RAM, 128 GB SSD for $1k, or spend the extra $200 on the upgrade to 8GB RAM and a 256 GB SSD. I've had no issues with RAM on the Pro 2, as Chrome is probably the most RAM intensive program I use on it, but that extra storage sure would be nice. I Really wish the found space to put a 2nd USB port on the thing though.
We have 40+ Surface Pro 3-4's at the office for our mobile workers. Get the 8GB model hand's down. 128GB will fill up in no time, and 4GB is the bare minimum for today. IMHO, I would say splurge for the I7 that comes with a dedicated GPU if you want to use it to play games.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
We have 40+ Surface Pro 3-4's at the office for our mobile workers. Get the 8GB model hand's down. 128GB will fill up in no time, and 4GB is the bare minimum for today. IMHO, I would say splurge for the I7 that comes with a dedicated GPU if you want to use it to play games.
All the Surface Pros come with integrated graphics. You talking about the surface book?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
My Pro 2 is the 128 GB SSD, 4 GB RAM version and I've managed it pretty well, but I splurged and got the 256 SSD, 8 GB RAM Pro 4. The keyboard is decent to type on and the trackpad is the first trackpad I've ever encountered that I consider good. I'm giving up battery life compared to the Pro 2, as I have the power cover for it, but this is much lighter and I definitely prefer the 3x2 screen over 16x9.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
My Pro 2 is the 128 GB SSD, 4 GB RAM version and I've managed it pretty well, but I splurged and got the 256 SSD, 8 GB RAM Pro 4. The keyboard is decent to type on and the trackpad is the first trackpad I've ever encountered that I consider good. I'm giving up battery life compared to the Pro 2, as I have the power cover for it, but this is much lighter and I definitely prefer the 3x2 screen over 16x9.
FYI, there is a known issue with SP4 battery life that everybody is waiting for MS to address in a firmware update. Overall it is draining too fast and there's a bug where sleep mode causes excessive battery drain.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm aware of it. It boots fast enough that I usually shut it down when it's unplugged and I'm not using it anyway.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Loving my Surface Book after about a month of playing around with it. Biggest complaint is that Chrome crashes a lot and I assume that is due to the touch screen interface. I end up using Edge fairly often to avoid crashes which kinda sucks compared to Chome imo, but I am still very happy with it.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I've never had any more crashes in chrome on either of my surfaces than I have on my desktop, but it does seem to handle touch poorly. I'll occasionally run parts of websites that just don't respond to touch in chrome, sometimes just few buttons that just don't respond to taps. Load it up in edge or even firefox and it works.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Son just shattered the screen of my Nexus 7 2nd edition (2013), so I'm in the market for a new tablet. I'd like to think it wouldn't be just for my son, but I should be just honest and say it's his tablet. He's getting older, and so is his sister, so the replace no matter what caveat of the Amazon kids tablet is probably the best choice? Any other suggestions?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Son just shattered the screen of my Nexus 7 2nd edition (2013), so I'm in the market for a new tablet. I'd like to think it wouldn't be just for my son, but I should be just honest and say it's his tablet. He's getting older, and so is his sister, so the replace no matter what caveat of the Amazon kids tablet is probably the best choice? Any other suggestions?
Ha, i just told my friends to order this for his pack of kids
Fire Kids Edition - Amazon Official Site - Tablet for Kids

"KIDS2PACK" coupon and you save 50bucks on 2, so it's $150 for 2 of them. They just broke his ipad.

Remember it's just 2 years of replace no matter what, but that probably pays for itself, a regular fire is 50bucks, so just think that you're paying 25bucks for a 2 year warranty.

Crone

I saw that coupon code as well. Probably will just do that. If you take the $50 kindle, throw on a kids proof case, 1 year of Freetime, or whatever, and I think other things are included, it comes out to a pretty good deal to just get the Kids version at $100, even better at $75.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Good deal with the coupon, better off buying a vanilla kindle without it.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Picked up a RCA Cambio for $65 today at Walmart. Was looking for a tablet for my kid to mess around with for a very long trip we are about to take and figured for the price, even if it's kind of dog shit, I can't go wrong.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Actually this tablet is surprisingly awesome. Rivals crap at the store that is selling for $160-250. I expected it to be slow and laggy garbage but it runs very well and for the price holy shit you can't beat that. Threw a 64gb card in there for extra storage. Saw a youtube video of some guy running WoW on it as well. 1 year parts and labor warranty as well and if it breaks after a year who gives a shit.

Crone

Which Cambio did you buy? I'm seeing a 2 in 1 Windows 10 laptop with 10" screen for $80, but not a tablet?

Crone

I grabbed this one in our local store. Must been on some kind of inventory clearing special. Price is different online. Still a good deal.

RCA Cambio 10.1 2-in-1 Tablet 32GB Intel Atom Z3735F Quad-Core Processor Windows 10 - Walmart.com
Was looking for something ultra portable for school, that also had a USB port for webcam, as well as new tablets for my kids. This looks like it might fit the bill and would never consider it were it not for your recommendation. Thanks Ked!