Tablets

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
NP, it has a built in camera front and back so not sure you'll need a webcam. Should be adequate. It does have a USB port and can charge from either micro usb or from the AC adapter.

One thing, when you get it let it boot and do all the updates. Then install the sd card. Then download CCcleaner and let it do its magic and get rid of all the windows.old stuff. Once you do that go into settings, apps and you can change the drive for app installs so you can keep your C: drive relatively clear. That option isn't available until you do the windows updates.

Enjoy, its a great tablet for the money. I played with a few of the $180 tablets with the same processor and I notice no real difference.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So the Kindle Fire kids tablet is great for the Freetime. It's neat being able to restrict times of day the kids can use it, and how long they can use it, and can only run entertainment apps after so long of educational apps. Those things are neat, and I wish Freeitme was available on all Android tablets.

However, I can't stand how locked down it is. I should be able to put freakin' Youtube on the tablet, under my childs profile, and not have it be a problem. You can install Youtube, but you can't sign into a profile. So I can't sign into my profile, which is in restricted mode to minimize the stuff my son can watch.

So back to the drawing board and looking for an Android tablet.

While a great deal, ended up skipping the RCA Cambio Ked was talking about. I wanted one for myself, but for a kids tablet, my 3 year old is a little young for it, and I was afraid of how he'd be able to operate Windows 10, even in "tablet" mode.

Crone

So where's the perfect tablet?

The Nexus 9 would be pretty amazing, as it hits the points I want.

9"+ screen
Great screen resolution (Samsung putting 132ppi on it's Galaxy Tab A 9.7" tablet is rediculous? seriously Samsung?)
First to get Android updates (coming from a Nexus 7, this is important)
Great performance with 2gb RAM, and 64 bit processor. (Again, Samsung, what were you thinking? 1.5ghz processor? wtf?)

Problem is? No microSD, however I guess the mini USB can support external drives. This wasn't a huge problem with my 16gb Nexus 7 so much, but the thought of being able to load it up with movies, etc would be really nice.

I haven't seen stats on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, but the price tag on that is like $400.

So is the Nexus 9 the sweet spot for screen size and performance?

Edit: Just looked up the specs of the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, and it's pretty F'ing sweet. But the price point is expensive. Shit.
frown.png

Edit2: So the Galaxy Tab S 10.5" , released a year prior to the Tab S2, has a better screen, microSD slot, better battery life, same RAM, similar processor, and can be had for $200-$250 on Ebay! I found the sweet spot for price/performance!

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
My big issue is locking down tablets while allowing features like cloud sync and linking to Google Play Games is near impossible.

I really just need Google to bake into Android the ability to password lock individual apps.

Period, it's that simple.

None of the apps that do that in the app store are reliable. They suddenly stop working randomly.

I don't feel like that's too much to ask for as a parent.

Stop with the silly kid profiles. We don't need profiles. Tablets are cheap everyone has their own tablet. Just let me do what I want with it.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Got handed down a Kindle Fire HD 10 inch 5th Gen. My dad hated it almost immediately. He literally included this in an email to a few of us when updating us on his visit to the Burgh for the 4th.

"I am also bringing a goddamn Amazon Kindle - cause I hate the son of a bitch and whoever wants it can have it. If nobody wants it i may give it to someone I hate - if I could figure out who that is."

I said I'd take it and try to root it. I've had no luck finding anything that doesn't just confuse me. Tried this KingRoot one click jammy, no luck.

So can anyone help me here? Point me to a working guide to rooting this piece of shit? Ideally one that I can follow with my stupid old man brain.

Crone

Of no help, but here just to say that I returned my kindle fire kids edition because after using any android device, nexus or not, being locked down into the Amazon app store and system, just plain sucks. Hated it.

Crone

Got handed down a Kindle Fire HD 10 inch 5th Gen. My dad hated it almost immediately. He literally included this in an email to a few of us when updating us on his visit to the Burgh for the 4th.

"I am also bringing a goddamn Amazon Kindle - cause I hate the son of a bitch and whoever wants it can have it. If nobody wants it i may give it to someone I hate - if I could figure out who that is."

I said I'd take it and try to root it. I've had no luck finding anything that doesn't just confuse me. Tried this KingRoot one click jammy, no luck.

So can anyone help me here? Point me to a working guide to rooting this piece of shit? Ideally one that I can follow with my stupid old man brain.
Amazon has their $50 version down to $33 with Prime Day, so I was taking a look, and apparently you have to downgrade it to root it? I haven't read it, but this thread might help?

[Index]Amazon Fire 7 - 5th Gen-2015 | Amazon Fire

Being from XDA, I trust it.

Edit: Looks like there are problems with rooting it depending on what version of Fire OS is on it. Since your's is an older one, there might not be any issues. Fire OS 5.1.1 looks to be good to go, but more recent versions haven't been cracked yet.

Link, and go to the comments at the bottom:

http://www.rootjunky.com/amazon-fire-5th-gen-supertool/

spronk

FPS noob
i ordered a fire 7 for $33, was gonna set it up as a bathroom ebook reader since i don't want turd particles on my nexus. here is the website i bookmarked on how to root it, dunno if it applies to the latest or the 10 etc. should get mine tomorrow
How To Root Amazon Fire 7 5th Gen Small Business

apparently also a way to install google play and remove lock screens without root
Install Google Play Remove Ads on an Amazon Fire Tablet Without Root

I'm probably going to go with the non root way since the amzon software with amazon offers still on it sometimes has good deals

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Amazon US doesn't ship to Denmark. Amazon UK is fubar since brexit. Can't get a fire for the bathroom, nor kids edition for my daughter. Apple ipoop, no problem. Gawd damnit :S

MossyBank

N00b
Anyone have a lot of experience rooting android devices? I have a Nexus 7 (2013 2nd gen), had it for a few years now and I want to get more out of it by rooting it. The problem is that my Windows PC will not recognize the device anymore, always shows up as Unknown Device, and I can't install any drivers to fix it. I turned on developer options, and turned on USB Debugging, switched the tablet into MTP, and also PTP in developer options and the PC still won't see it. I tried using WugFresh Nexus Root Toolkit (NRT) to try and install the correct drivers, and none of that worked at all.

So my question is, is it possible to unlock the boot loader, and root my tablet without plugging it into my PC? I can transfer files to the tablet using Dropbox if there are files I can D/L to accomplish this task. But i'm not sure where to start, all the tutorials I saw say you need to plug your nexus into the PC first.

Edit: Oh yeah i'm running 6.0.1 Marshmellow, build number: MOB30M

Edit 2: I think my issue might be the Micro USB charging port on my N7. I have a OTG cable with a Sandisk flash drive, and I downloaded an OTG Cable troubleshooter, when I plug it into the tablet it says no OTG Cable detected, but If I apply some pressure upward with my thumb, it detects my OTG cable suddenly, then wriggling it around I got it to briefly read the USB thumb drive as well, and as soon as I let go I lose all connections again. It's weird cuase the OEM MicroUSB charge cable that came with my N7 still charges my tablet perfectly, but it doesnt seem to work if I use it to plug into the PC, and a few other MicroUSB to USB cables (non OEM) do not work for charging or connecting to the PC, as well as the OTG cables. Gonna see if I can tighten the connection by opening up my N7, but I'm nervous, and don't want to break it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Anyone have a lot of experience rooting android devices? I have a Nexus 7 (2013 2nd gen), had it for a few years now and I want to get more out of it by rooting it. The problem is that my Windows PC will not recognize the device anymore, always shows up as Unknown Device, and I can't install any drivers to fix it. I turned on developer options, and turned on USB Debugging, switched the tablet into MTP, and also PTP in developer options and the PC still won't see it. I tried using WugFresh Nexus Root Toolkit (NRT) to try and install the correct drivers, and none of that worked at all.

So my question is, is it possible to unlock the boot loader, and root my tablet without plugging it into my PC? I can transfer files to the tablet using Dropbox if there are files I can D/L to accomplish this task. But i'm not sure where to start, all the tutorials I saw say you need to plug your nexus into the PC first.

Edit: Oh yeah i'm running 6.0.1 Marshmellow, build number: MOB30M

Edit 2: I think my issue might be the Micro USB charging port on my N7. I have a OTG cable with a Sandisk flash drive, and I downloaded an OTG Cable troubleshooter, when I plug it into the tablet it says no OTG Cable detected, but If I apply some pressure upward with my thumb, it detects my OTG cable suddenly, then wriggling it around I got it to briefly read the USB thumb drive as well, and as soon as I let go I lose all connections again. It's weird cuase the OEM MicroUSB charge cable that came with my N7 still charges my tablet perfectly, but it doesnt seem to work if I use it to plug into the PC, and a few other MicroUSB to USB cables (non OEM) do not work for charging or connecting to the PC, as well as the OTG cables. Gonna see if I can tighten the connection by opening up my N7, but I'm nervous, and don't want to break it.
This is going to sound odd, but have you tried plugging it into a different USB port(preferably on a completely different panel)? i.e. if you're using the ports on the front of your PC, try the ports in the back directly on the motherboard, or vice versa. USB is wonky sometimes, I've had tablets, phones, and digital cameras completely stop being recognized when plugged into a certain USB port, but as soon as I try a different one the device installs like it's new found hardware again.

MossyBank

N00b
Yeah I tried all the USB ports on my PC, I have like 8 of them or something. None worked. I went ahead and pried open the back panel on my N7 device, and took some pliers and gently squeezed the MicroUSB connector down and a little on the sides. The cables are alot more snug fitting now, and don't shake all over the place like they are gonna fall out, but I still had no luck in getting anything going on my PC or a OTG cable, but the tablet still charges with the OEM cable if I plug it in. Pretty odd.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Yeah I tried all the USB ports on my PC, I have like 8 of them or something. None worked. I went ahead and pried open the back panel on my N7 device, and took some pliers and gently squeezed the MicroUSB connector down and a little on the sides. The cables are alot more snug fitting now, and don't shake all over the place like they are gonna fall out, but I still had no luck in getting anything going on my PC or a OTG cable, but the tablet still charges with the OEM cable if I plug it in. Pretty odd.
I have the same issue with my Nexus 7. One day it just wouldn't connect to my PC anymore. Tried all USB's and shit.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
GiveKoush's universal ADB drivera try. You'll want to uninstall the USB drivers your computer has installed for the N7 first though.

Edit: Also try switching the N7 between connecting to the computer through MTP or PTP. Sometime switching to the other then back will cause it to work.

Mountain Man_sl

shitlord
I'm thinking of upgrading my Kindle finally. I'm looking to get a Paperwhite but I was wondering do Kindles go on sale very often? I'm in no rush so I figured I would try to wait until it goes on sale if that is feasible.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I think the paperwhite is on sale right now. I went to amazon earlier and that was the big ad. I didn't look too close.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
I know it's a longshot, but is anyone familiar with the Gigaset tablet (model QV830 running Android 4.2.2)? My wife got one as a birthday gift from her aunt and it's having sound issues less than a month out of the box. Worked fine and then one day she unplugged her headphones from it after watching Netflix, but the speakers didn't come on. After numerous resets and fiddling with the settings, the speakers still don't work. Any ideas on what I can do to fix it for her? It almost seems like the tablet thinks headphones are plugged in all the time, even though they aren't, therefore the speakers don't switch on.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'm thinking of upgrading my Kindle finally. I'm looking to get a Paperwhite but I was wondering do Kindles go on sale very often? I'm in no rush so I figured I would try to wait until it goes on sale if that is feasible.
I want to say my Paperwhite was $99 and not $119, but it has been so long maybe that is just faulty memory. You're also coming from a Kindle but to reiterate for others that may not, the "includes special offers" versions are not scary ad infested annoying things. The only ads you ever see are when it is on screensaver (and maybe on the home screen if you don't use your personal library view). The ad free version is only $20 more, but if that $20 is important don't worry about it. And in my experience they do an okay job of pushing special offers on genre of books that you're likely to be interested in.