The Astronomy Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Actually one second in a real-time system is a looong time for a mission critical activity such as this. I'm genuinely interested in the root cause of the malfunction.
Yep.

One second is probably like, 100-1000 iterations of their control system. My control systems have checks for a single iteration being goofy, and any kind of jitter is very noticeable and tracked down very seriously. If one iteration of totally wrong feedback is a weird twitch in your eyebrow that happens once and never again, one second of bad output is a seizure.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Yep.

One second is probably like, 100-1000 iterations of their control system. My control systems have checks for a single iteration being goofy, and any kind of jitter is very noticeable and tracked down very seriously. If one iteration of totally wrong feedback is a weird twitch in your eyebrow that happens once and never again, one second of bad output is a seizure.

Ukerric Ukerric indicated it was a FP overflow but if I am understanding this article correctly, the IMU was feeding the firmware bad data so it might not have been an over/underflow so much as the firmware didn't deal with erroneous data very well. Military grade IMUs are pretty reliable so it will be interesting to hear how they got bad data.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
RIP John Glenn.
Ah fuck seriously?!

Found it.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Former astronaut and U.S. Sen. John Glenn has died, according to the Columbus Dispatch. He was 95.

Glenn was hospitalized “more than a week ago,” according to Ohio State University spokesman Hank Wilson.

Glenn had heart valve replacement surgery in 2014.

He became the first American to orbit the Earth in 1962.

Glenn piloted the Mercury space capsule, dubbed Friendship 7, and circled the planet three times in just under five hours on February 20, 1962. Of the original seven US astronauts who made up Project Mercury — Glenn, Alan Shepard, Gus Grissom, Gordon Cooper, Scott Carpenter, Walter Schirra and Donald Slayton — Glenn was the last surviving member.

Prior to his career as an astronaut, Glenn flew 149 missions during World War II and the Korean War and received multiple medals and decorations, including the Distinguished Flying Cross on six occasions.

John Glenn, astronaut and former US senator, dead at 95

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
This makes me sad. I met him once as a kid. An experience I'll never forget. RIP :(

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

CzqdJHxXgAANdn6.jpg

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Brad2770

That is a beautiful planet. I would like to believe we have the most diverse types of planets and moons within our solar system vs. other star systems.

• 2Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, it's pretty amazing. I mean even Pluto is super interesting.

09222015_Pluto-Wide-FINAL-9-17-15SunsetAtmosphere.jpg

imrs.jpg

nh-pluto_heart.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
That is a beautiful planet. I would like to believe we have the most diverse types of planets and moons within our solar system vs. other star systems.
I like to think that we have relatively normal planets and there's a ton of way more awesome shit out there to eventually discover.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I like to think that we have relatively normal planets and there's a ton of way more awesome shit out there to eventually discover.
We used to think Copernican principle would apply, and we'd have a typical system, and most star system would look like it.

Then, we started finding exoplanets, and we found mostly weird shit like jupiter-sized stuff orbiting closer than mercury, and we think that no two star systems will be "typical" ever.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
I think they'll fall into broad categories still. It's not like I know, but I would assume they would given immutable laws of physics and similar genesis.

The sample size is still small and with our current detection methods you'll find the hot jupiters first. Stars fall into broad classes. It just makes sense that star systems would as well. But you're talking about the evolution of a physical system over the span of probably billions of years, so finding anything "typical" does seem like it would be surprising.

I bet you'll still be able to sort them into roughly congruent classes though.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I think they'll fall into broad categories still. It's not like I know, but I would assume they would given immutable laws of physics and similar genesis.
Yeah, that's what was assumed as well. Then we started getting model simulations and the possible scenarios to system creation exploded.

The old, naive model was "planets form wherever, volatiles boil out innermost so you have rocky inner planets, not enough volatiles in outer so you have smaller giants at the fringe. Basically, our planetary system, with the asteroid belt(s) being a possible variant.

Then, we found out that planet would probably migrate during initial genesis, and maybe the rocky planets are wherever the jovians throw them while muscling around. Or other shit. I think at one point, some models were saying that our system was extremely improbable.
I bet you'll still be able to sort them into roughly congruent classes though.
Look just at the variation you get for essentially the same type of planets that give you Venus vs Earth. I mean, they're the same category, but nobody's going to lump them together when they look at a system.

Pluto is a planet.
Yup. But a puny one. Gimme Eris photos!!!

• 1Like