The Astronomy Thread

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Here is the most recent visualization of Kepler's Orrery. Keep in mind the sample is clearly biased to our current detection methods, but look at the variety.

Lifted from the Youtube description for an explanation of some of what is shown. The fact this is a mere 685 systems is quite mind blowing when you consider the amount of stars in merely our Galaxy.

published on Nov 30, 2015

All of the Kepler multi-planet systems (1705 planets in 685 systems as of 24 November 2015) on the same scale as the Solar System (the dashed lines). The size of the orbits are all to scale, but the size of the planets are not. For example, Jupiter is actually 11x larger than Earth, but that scale makes Earth-size planets almost invisible (or Jupiters annoyingly large). The orbits are all synchronized such that Kepler observed a planet transit every time it hits an angle of 0 degrees (the 3 o'clock position on a clock).

Planet colors are based on their approximate equilibrium temperatures, as shown in the legend.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider

V838 Monocerotis - Wikipedia

The wiki article explains what is visualized, I highly recommend a quick read. A very unique star/event with many hypotheses still to explain it. I found the explanation of the light echo, and the point that we are not seeing circular expansion but more of a cone of light heading towards us. The moving aspect of the image is not debris, but light illuminating dust and such that exists in a radius around the system.

I would have lifted small quotes the Wikipedia article, but it gets full of links and other garbage that make it look like trash as a post here. JWST needs to start taking images tomorrow.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think a trip to Charleston will be in order. Sign me up for an eclipse and gaining 20 lbs on great food.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Is that going to be a total eclipse the complete eclipse that leave most people in awe when talking about it? If so just might have to make a trip to witness it.

• 1Like

Cybsled

May be the only time in our lifetime to see something like that in the states...been pondering a trip myself to the ideal areas for observing it.

• 1Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I'm little more than 15 miles from full eclipse sites, I'm 100% going. TLDR; you can look directly at the sun during a total, and it can last as long as 2 full minutes of complete eclipse. Some where in Kentucky is the the duration maximum location. One Astronomer said "You might think that the 90% area is just as good of an experience, but its only 10% of the experience that a true total Eclipse is. He said he gets chills thinking about the one he experienced 10 years ago. This is a big deal if you're a sky nut. Kind of like Haley's Comet level of lifetime event.

• 1Like

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
My brother lives in Mount Pleasant, SC - already planning to get out on the boat there, weather permitting.

• 1Like

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
So you can get out of your state in less than 500 miles. That's just basic logic, not astronomy.

• 1Like