The Astronomy Thread

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
My girlfriend got me a nice print of the Pillars of Creation just because. Was a pretty great gift.

aRSd84h.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Japan's space junk test has failed.

Japan's troubled 'space junk' mission fails

The 700-metre (2,300-foot) long tether -- made from thin wires of stainless steel and aluminium -- was due to be extended out from a cargo ship launched in December carrying supplies for astronauts at the International Space Station.

Problems arose quickly, however, and technicians tried for days to remedy the situation but only had a one-week window to carry out the mission before the vessel reentered the Earth's atmosphere before dawn on Monday.

"We believe the tether did not get released", leading researcher Koichi Inoue told reporters.

"It is certainly disappointing that we ended the mission without completing one of the main objectives," he said.​

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Life's Building Blocks Found on Dwarf Planet Ceres

NASA's Dawn spacecraft has spotted organic molecules — the carbon-containing building blocks of life as we know it — on Ceres for the first time, a study published today (Feb. 16) in the journal Science reports.

And these organics appear to be native, likely forming on Ceres rather than arriving via asteroid or comet strikes, study team members said. [Photos: Dwarf Planet Ceres, the Solar System's Largest Asteroid]

"Because Ceres is a dwarf planet that may still preserve internal heat from its formation period and may even contain a subsurface ocean, this opens the possibility that primitive life could have developed on Ceres itself," Michael Küppers, a planetary scientist based at the European Space Astronomy Centre just outside Madrid, said in an accompanying "News and Views" article in the same issue of Science.​

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I thought this PBS Space Time video was worth a watch for even the casual astronomy/technology nerd. Pretty cool things happening, can't to see what we find.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Life's Building Blocks Found on Dwarf Planet Ceres

NASA's Dawn spacecraft has spotted organic molecules — the carbon-containing building blocks of life as we know it — on Ceres for the first time, a study published today (Feb. 16) in the journal Science reports.

And these organics appear to be native, likely forming on Ceres rather than arriving via asteroid or comet strikes, study team members said. [Photos: Dwarf Planet Ceres, the Solar System's Largest Asteroid]

"Because Ceres is a dwarf planet that may still preserve internal heat from its formation period and may even contain a subsurface ocean, this opens the possibility that primitive life could have developed on Ceres itself," Michael Küppers, a planetary scientist based at the European Space Astronomy Centre just outside Madrid, said in an accompanying "News and Views" article in the same issue of Science.​

Protomolecule lol

Pretty cool, though!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
88 of the 104 India launched are called Doves, all 88 are healthy and operating. Amazing.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So is this like they found aluminum so it's a proto-aluminum-block-V8?

• 1Like