The Astronomy Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Just a 2 minute clip specifically of the 2 minutes of the landing. Pulled from the webcast I believe.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Astronomy Thread Hype.

NASA to Host News Conference on Discovery Beyond Our Solar System

NASA to Host News Conference on Discovery Beyond Our Solar System
NASA will hold a news conference at 1 p.m. EST Wednesday, Feb. 22, to present new findings on planets that orbit stars other than our sun, known as exoplanets. The event will air live on NASA Television and the agency's website.

Details of these findings are embargoed by the journal Nature until 1 p.m.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brad2770

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking saying that.

I read it, but was thinking about Planet 9.

• 1Like

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm thinking they found an exoplanet with gravity around the same as ours with water and oxygen in the atmosphere in the Goldilocks zone. Also CNet had this to say.

We've seen the research, and while we can't share details yet, let's just say it could very easily provide us with new settings for many future works of science fiction.

NASA teases a major new exoplanet discovery

I can't think of anything else it could be that wouldn't have leaked already.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Newly discovered star remnants are the brightest ever seen

The European Space Agency's XMM-Newton X-ray observatory discovered a pulsar that's a thousand times brighter than researchers had previously thought possible. Officially dubbed NGC 5907 X-1, the pulsar is 10 times brighter than the previous record holder. This means that in one second it puts out the same amount of energy our Sun releases during the course of 3.5 years. The pulsar, or spinning remains of what used to be a massive star, is also the furthest ever observed. Its light traveled 50 million light years before the spacecraft noticed it.

• 1Like

Cybsled

I am guessing very "Earth like" or confirmation that they found a moon around a planet.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
My guess is a dead junk planet found with Buy-N-Large signs found littered everywhere is my guess although they did spot one sign that stated Earth-n-Jesus or bust dated 6000 years ago. Kappa. Kappa. Kappa12300

• 1Like