The Astronomy Thread

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If I understood that correctly the Webb telescope will be perfect to observe these planets.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
7 earth sized, 3 in Goldilock is actually fucking remarkable for one solar system.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Lifted form reddit - 6 and 7 are pretty crazy

Here are some details from NASA's conference:

1) Spitzer detects 7 earth size planets around the TRAPPIST-1 Star System

2) 40 light years away

3) 3 planets are in the right zone for liquid water

4) Have measured the masses and radi of earth-size planets

5) Can look at atmosphere and bio-signatures

6) Planets are close to each other, you would see them similarly as you would see Earth’s moon.

7) Planets are so close, they interact gravitationally on each other.

8) Trappist-1e is very close in size to earth. It receives a similar amount of light as Earth does.

9) Trappist-1f (MIGHT) be water-rich and similar in size as earth (NASA just said currently no detection of water). Receives about as much light as Mars.

10)Trappist-1g is largest in the system, 13% larger radius than Earth. Receives about as much light as Mars and the Asteroid belt.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Elite Dangerous seems to be getting more and more of its randomized systems legitimized as possible.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
God damnit. In an ideal world we'd not only be capable of sending long rang probes to something ~ 40 light years away we'd have already chucked a few that direction and have some ready to send along immediately.

Oh well. Maybe in another century we'll have developed small scale autonomous AI systems nimble enough to swarm their way that direction and report back in 1000 years just in time for the Ark ships to be ready to go...

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
This is awesome! I had given up hope for hyped up NASA press conferences after that shitty one a few years back with that annoying, self-absorbed chick with the phosphorus research.

And fuck I hope Webb deploys correctly and works! So much that could go wrong with that launch and deployment.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
So basically plot of passengers coming to reality if humanity can survive another 100 years or so.

We we're all born 200 years too early and 200 years too late for real adventures. fuck
Thanks, I get depressed about this every time similar news comes out :( I'd give anything to be able to see shit like this come to fruition.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
7 planets, earth sized, 3 in goldilocks zone, 40 ly away.

Wonderful potentially habitable worlds around TRAPPIST-1

Love the last comment:

IMG_1459.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
And he shall turn his gaze upon the skies and on the 17th year of the second millennium while the new Emperor is proclaiming laws he will see seven of the nine hells. The last two so dark and forbidden reserved for but the worst sinners will evade him until the word is spoken. ReRe chronicles 87:52

• 1Like

Cybsled

Wonder if they took NASA Finds Planets of Red Dwarf Stars May Face Oxygen Loss in Habitable Zones - Astrobiology Magazine into account since it was only just released as well at the beginning of the month.

I think they indicated that this red dwarf is relatively quiet compared to other ones which have more coronal ejections/etc, which improves the chances of a more stable environment.

One of the biggest things to remember, though, is I think they said the star is only 500 million years old. Considering how long it took for life to develop on Earth, it somewhat diminishes the chances of life existing there yet. But holy fuck, that solar system would be an excellent test case of how probable is it for life to arise independently on somewhat similar planets.

• 1Like

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
So these are undoubtedly tidally locked (habitable zone around a red dwarf is much closer than we are to the Sun). However, I did stumble upon this (after having a similar discussion here a few months ago), and there could be scenarios where weather systems on these planets could work to equalize the temp on the planet.

Tidally locked exoplanets more habitable than previously thought

Still seems like you could have some crazy storms near the twilight zone.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Cybsled

The fact the other planets exert tidal forces on each other could help as well.

• 1Like