The Astronomy Thread

Brad2770

Assuming the James Webb launches without any issues, do they already have the scheduling set for it? Do we know what it will be looking at first?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Not sure it's public, but that kind of stuff is being worked on. One of the New Horizons guys I follow tweeted that it was something he was working on a month or two ago IIRC. I'm sure you can expect things like this to bump up in importance, and I think at the presser there was some expectations that observations would make it into 'cycle 1' of JWST.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
All about the unfolding. While the overall reliability of nearly everything that goes into space is as close to infallible as you can be, there are no guarantees in life especially since the mechanisms in question cannot be tested in a null-gravity environment.

Consider this video :

That is a LOT of moving parts, especially when you consider that we have a little celebratory dance when a satellite manages to do something like open its one door or deploy a small antenna properly. Having JWST do its irish jig at L2 is roughly the equivalent of every Mars mission to date going off without a hitch...
God damn rube goldberg machine.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Szlia

I wonder if all these substantial planets bunched up in relatively close orbits does not result in some intense and weird tidal/tectonic effects.

• 1Like

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Every time i read anything about this i start craving some tasty tasty monk beer.

• 1Like

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I wonder if all these substantial planets bunched up in relatively close orbits does not result in some intense and weird tidal/tectonic effects.

PressReader.com - Connecting People Through News

The seven planets also seem to be orbiting in resonance with one another. These gravitational interactions could mean that the planets are being heated by tidal forces.

Scientists have observed/measured/studied tidal forces on (much smaller) moons in our own Solar system, so if the math works out for the Trappist system then it's a pretty safe bet that it's legit.

Tectonic plates only happen if the planets' compositions allow them, and I don't know that they've made observations in enough detail to be anywhere near as confident about that yet. I could be wrong about that though. Wikipedia says "the densities of the planets range from ~0.60 to ~1.17 times that of Earth," which might be enough combined with the star's spectrum to make educated (if rough) guesses about the individual planets' compositions? Not by me of course, but by someone, maybe?

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I also have a hard time wrapping my brain around how big things like UY Scuti really are though; same with a lot of astronomical numbers.
Time to repost this awesome video:

[
note: when it shows 1 light day... the 2 voyagers aren't there yet, as they remind us

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone good at math capable of calculating when they will breach the 1 light day mark?

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
size comparison of new system. God damn imagine looking at the night sky from one of those planets...

Someone said it's like having a bunch of planets visible the size of Earth's moon. If you had multiple planets reflecting all that sunlight, your view of the stars would be pretty damn poor. Imagine multiple moons in the night sky and how much light it would produce. You'd struggle to have truly dark skies, especially if your planet has significant atmosphere.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Someone said it's like having a bunch of planets visible the size of Earth's moon. If you had multiple planets reflecting all that sunlight, your view of the stars would be pretty damn poor. Imagine multiple moons in the night sky and how much light it would produce. You'd struggle to have truly dark skies, especially if your planet has significant atmosphere.

What's interesting is if these planets are tidally locked then it's possible their night-side might not be so night-ish. Several planets reflecting light might create a pseudo day/night cycle.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>

Your thoughts? Reuse launch, Falcon Heavy launch reschedule, crewed launch this autumn, or they are building an antigravity Dragon 3 spaceship?

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>

This is basically the entire premise of Isaac Asimov's short story Nightfall. If you haven't read it, then find it and read it. Seriously!

Synopsis in spoiler:
Basically a civilisations forms on a planet in a mluti-solar solar-system. Due to the orbital mechanics, they know no night time, and therefore, no stars other than their local suns. But due to a quirk of orbital mechanics the suns have total eclipses once every few thousand years. Just as an astronomer figures this out and tries to warn everybody Nightfall happens and drives everyone insane. A side part of the story is that archaeologists have discovered that civilisation seems to reset itself on this planet every few thousand years due to civilisation going mad and burning everything down.

• 2Like

Brad2770

How bright is a cool brown dwarf? Could there be enough light emitted to reflect enough of the light to have an "all day of light" type of effect?

• 1Like