The Astronomy Thread

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
I think they indicated that this red dwarf is relatively quiet compared to other ones which have more coronal ejections/etc, which improves the chances of a more stable environment.

No, I believe what they said is that these type of stars (including this one) are very active when they are young and it would have been rough on the planets at that time. But if they survived that active period ok, the star is now and will basically forever be quiet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Still seems like you could have some crazy storms near the twilight zone.
The biggest problem for those is that such a star is probably flaring a bit, and will strip the atmosphere of any close planet in a short order. And the system is tiny and probably without much in terms of cometary halo, so no source to replenish that except internal vulcanism.

So, while it's potential life-bearing, it's going to be more like a non-iced version of Europa (ocean life, no land life ever). And it's young (~500MY) , so it's primitive single cells. It took us more than 3 billion years to get from archaea to the first eucaryotes, so it's probably not in the cards yet there.

If there is life.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Using the fastest spacecraft we're researchign now it will only take 700,000 years to get there.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
This is awesome! I had given up hope for hyped up NASA press conferences after that shitty one a few years back with that annoying, self-absorbed chick with the phosphorus research.

And fuck I hope Webb deploys correctly and works! So much that could go wrong with that launch and deployment.

If Webb deploys properly I will be completely stunned. I used to work on that project and the thing is pretty much a goddamn Transformer.

As far as propulsion systems : yeah anything remotely conventional is not gonna cut it. Best bet is something like an EMDrive that 'violates' physics and may push off vacuum energy or something equally exotic. Of course even if you could get up to 5% the speed of light and reach Trappist-1 in ~800 years there's the slight issue of what to do about clearing the path in front of you.

Interstellar dust grains are very small and have very low mass...but when you are trucking along at 3E+07 m/s even a dust grain is bad news. Now you have to worry about constructing and artificial magnetosphere as a 'shield' and even that doesn't do jack against neutrally charged dust... Best bet there is to scoop it up and use it... probably have to have a pillow of charged plasma to soften the blow as it comes in.

Space travel is a real bitch. We should do more to protect the blue marble we have now.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Brad2770

Could you elaborate why you would be stunned if it deploys properly? I was already concerned because of how much it needs to unfold, but having someone that worked on the project to have some doubt frightens me. I need this project to be successful.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
As far as propulsion systems : yeah anything remotely conventional is not gonna cut it. Best bet is something like an EMDrive that 'violates' physics and may push off vacuum energy or something equally exotic.
VASIMR is supposed to undergo real tests real soon™. And it's not the surnatural EMDrive.

• 1Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
VASIMR is supposed to undergo real tests real soon™. And it's not the surnatural EMDrive.
VASIMR is fine but it's not taking us to other stars in any way. Has to be several orders of magnitude more efficient (or use no propellant like the magic drives...)

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Could you elaborate why you would be stunned if it deploys properly? I was already concerned because of how much it needs to unfold, but having someone that worked on the project to have some doubt frightens me. I need this project to be successful.

All about the unfolding. While the overall reliability of nearly everything that goes into space is as close to infallible as you can be, there are no guarantees in life especially since the mechanisms in question cannot be tested in a null-gravity environment.

Consider this video :

That is a LOT of moving parts, especially when you consider that we have a little celebratory dance when a satellite manages to do something like open its one door or deploy a small antenna properly. Having JWST do its irish jig at L2 is roughly the equivalent of every Mars mission to date going off without a hitch...

• 3Like

Brad2770

Haven't they pretty much put the thing through the worst possible launch scenarios? How often do they unfold it to test it? Do they take it apart and examine the moving parts after grueling tests?

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I think a very long pointed nose made of ice would be good for high speed ships. Like in the uhhh revelation space was it? Or just build em super thick at the front with Adrian Newey as the designer.

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
All about the unfolding. While the overall reliability of nearly everything that goes into space is as close to infallible as you can be, there are no guarantees in life especially since the mechanisms in question cannot be tested in a null-gravity environment.

Consider this video :

That is a LOT of moving parts, especially when you consider that we have a little celebratory dance when a satellite manages to do something like open its one door or deploy a small antenna properly. Having JWST do its irish jig at L2 is roughly the equivalent of every Mars mission to date going off without a hitch...

Curiosity Rover's Sky Crane was a scary and amazing moment, so I'm hoping that was more NASA doing their homework than just luck, and I'm hoping that's spilling over onto this. Still, while I'm not a superstitious guy by nature, I think I will have a toast to Lady Luck if this thing goes off without a hitch and starts sending back some sweet, sweet pics!

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
One of the thing you see clearly on this are the two Lagrange clusters of Jupiter, where gravitational interaction creates "fake planets" that asteroids orbit. Called the Trojans and the Greeks clusters respectively, of course.

• 2Like

Szlia

Qhue Qhue In that space telescope unfolding.... what is the purpose of the multilayered triangular "base" under the actual telescope?

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
sunshieldhotcold.jpg

Sun shield.

• 2Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
One of the biggest things to remember, though, is I think they said the star is only 500 million years old. Considering how long it took for life to develop on Earth, it somewhat diminishes the chances of life existing there yet.
Actually, during the announcement they said they couldn't figure out its age because red dwarves are very slow burning or something.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
size comparison of new system. God damn imagine looking at the night sky from one of those planets.

PIA21428_hires.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Actually, during the announcement they said they couldn't figure out its age because red dwarves are very slow burning or something.

Yup, so far as main-sequence stars go M-class (red dwarves) last exponentially longer than their larger (and hotter) counterparts. Generally speaking a star like this might be expected to produce stable energy for ~10 trillion years (with a T). The sun will make it another 5 to around 10 billion years. Then you have on the other extreme hyper giants like UY Scuti are already fusing Helium as their main energy source and live millions of years.

Because of this, it does make dwarfs a nice candidate for life (although the habitable zone is much closer).

I also have a hard time wrapping my brain around how big things like UY Scuti really are though; same with a lot of astronomical numbers. Super cool that things like this do process so "fast" though (and end their life in a supernova) else we would not have the heavy elements in our own solar system for us to exist.

UY-Scuti-sun-comparison-e1423674267251.png

• 3Like