The Astronomy Thread

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Kinda wish they were working with SpaceX, but the competition is good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I grew up in FL and watched a couple shuttle launches in person at Cape Canaveral. Despite being 2-5 miles away (depending on launch pad), the sound was unbelievable and the FEEL of it from head to toe and the ground was simply indescribable. Something you had to experience in person to truly comprehend. That said, the shuttles were a fraction of oomph that the Saturn V from the Apollo days. I can't fathom what that would have been like to experience in person.

• 1Like

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
I grew up in FL and watched a couple shuttle launches in person at Cape Canaveral. Despite being 2-5 miles away (depending on launch pad), the sound was unbelievable and the FEEL of it from head to toe and the ground was simply indescribable. Something you had to experience in person to truly comprehend. That said, the shuttles were a fraction of oomph that the Saturn V from the Apollo days. I can't fathom what that would have been like to experience in person.

In 8th grade I was on a science field trip to Florida. We visited KSC as they scrubbed a launch :(

Taking my kids to see every space shuttle is a bucket list item though.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The falcon heavy launch this summer should be pretty amazing, I'm super excited for it.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
We've been meaning to truck down to the cape and catch a Falcon-9 landing since it's actually watchable by the public from a reasonable distance.

Just the spectacle of seeing a 22-story metal tube landing is enough but the triple sonic booms from the landing's transonic phase can be FELT if you're close enough to see it. The rocket itself produces the biggest sonic boom as it goes transonic then the landing legs and the guidance fins each produce sonic booms as they deploy. It sounds like a double sonic boom but it's actually three:

• 1Like

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Will be a trip seeing 3 of those land for one launch.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I read this novel before I think, didn't this start a black hole and destroy the Earth?

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Clickbait title, very planetary mindset to assume no aliens have done it first.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I read this novel before I think, didn't this start a black hole and destroy the Earth?
The one I remember about that cold stuff was "Heads" by Greg Bear, in which they break reality, and it ends up with "Mars" in which the martian colonists use that technology to teleport and hide Mars somewhere safe in the galaxy because at that point we're fighting a war by converting pieces of each others planet into anti-matter because dropping asteroids on each other wouldn't be enough to end the war.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Something really cool here: Could change the way we study matter entirely & may lead to a new scientific revolution in my opinion.

Coldest Spot in Universe Should Soon Be Aboard International Space Station

Check the video :

Watched this video apprehensively thinking it'd just be creating the world's coldest ice cube, but it's actually pretty interesting if it's not all a bunch of quantum bullshit.

The idea of quantum properties expanding their scope at near zero temperatures seems like it could create some interesting phenomenon.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Pan, via Cassini.

C6e-lqEVQAAPafK.jpg

C6e-m2NVYAEu4HI.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users