The Astronomy Thread

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Mars is very organized.

C67t6KWWcAII-50.jpg

A couple of the wheels have some pretty big gashes in them.

1618MH0002620000602532E01_DXXX-br2.jpg

Raw images here: Raw Images - Mars Science Laboratory

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Any good explanation on why NASA has climate-related projects? I would assume the EPA or DoE would be driving that, and would contact NASA when they needed satellite images they couldn't get elsewhere.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
Must be counting all those NASA/NOAA programs. Any NOAA program that had to fly pretty much went under NASA.

• 1Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Any good explanation on why NASA has climate-related projects? I would assume the EPA or DoE would be driving that, and would contact NASA when they needed satellite images they couldn't get elsewhere.

I believe they launch satellites and do aerial surveys specifically related to climate research.

Well, they used to do that. Probably not anymore.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I believe they launch satellites and do aerial surveys specifically related to climate research.
They do "Earth Sience", basically every form of observation of Earth from space. Archaeology, all kinds of survey... and climate stuff as well. The Earth Science was gutted because it's easy to convert credits from one line to another, and do some climate science using gravity measurement satellites.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
They only did the ground test on a refurbished unit so far right?
Yes. They've been shopping around for a first customer to provide a full demo, most of them wanted heavy discounts for being the first to reuse.

The same thing is going for their Dragon capsule. Until recently, the contract with NASA for the ISS resupplies required a non-refurbished capsule for each launch. Which is why they're going to launch one to Mars soon: it will have been fully paid for by NASA.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The fact that there are no humans involved and that the design of re-usable rockets dramatically reduces cost adds a certain amount of... levity, to relatively high chance of disaster with these systems.

Instead of it being a national tragedy, if a rocket blows up we'll get a funny tweet from Musk about unplanned rapid disassembly and march onward. It's kind of funny.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
SES actually tweeted about using the first reused rocket launch when the first Falcon-9 landed successfully a couple years ago. They've been in price negotiations since then.

After all the refurbishment and testing the SES-10 launch is only at a 10% discount off the normal cost of a falcon9 launch. Presumably that'll go down as soon as their pipeline for refurbishing the rockets gets better.

Even bigger news is the fact that SpaceX has now taken A SECOND USAF contract from ULA. Previously ULA managed to twist enough arms in the pentagon to keep SpaceX out of the lucrative DOD contracts but this year ULA is having some trouble getting new engines for their Atlas boosters. The engines are russian lol

• 1Like

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
SpaceX is developing a new version of Falcon 9, I suspect that they're using the information learned from the recovered first stages to further optimize the rocket. I know they said it will be more efficient (more payload?).

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Pops

Lessening the cost of escaping Earth, will go a long way to developing any space resources.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

khorum

Murder Apologist
SpaceX is developing a new version of Falcon 9, I suspect that they're using the information learned from the recovered first stages to further optimize the rocket. I know they said it will be more efficient (more payload?).

They've been using a new version of the Falcon9 since the one that exploded on the platform. The most recent launch of the Falcon9 for the Echostar GTO insertion was the last expendable rocket launch for SpaceX since future high payload flights will be on the Falcon Heavy.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
haha yeah SpaceX actually managed to get the Air Force to force ULA to give them access to their rooftop since it had good range and LOS to the launch site. They didn't find anything tho.

Although the real tinfoil is why SpaceX managed to win two Air Force contracts shortly after that!

Maybe they found something and instead of going public and destroying ULA (which is a consortium of publicly traded companies like Lockheed, Boeing, Raytheon etc) Musk cannily horse-traded his way into the ultra-lucrative DOD launch contracting scene. Something that ULA has been cockblocking for years.

• 2Like

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
They've been using a new version of the Falcon9 since the one that exploded on the platform. The most recent launch of the Falcon9 for the Echostar GTO insertion was the last expendable rocket launch for SpaceX since future high payload flights will be on the Falcon Heavy.

I was not referring to the type last being used, but to the block 5 version which iis scheduled to be first used in the 3rd or 4th quarter of this year. It is stated to be intended to have significantly improved performance and ease of reusability.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Wasnt there tinfoil someone shot it? I assume nothing came of that.
Yea. The analysis was that the fueling technique used could cause some extra stress on the tanks, so they changed the way they load the fuel to avoid that.

• 1Like