<Silver Donator>
Gif of the flyby.

Pan looks like:

C6fe35YUoAEEROA.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

What's the last pic from?

Star Trek: Next Generation. I do actually remember the episode. No clue on the episode name, but Enterprise comes across one of those things and it attacks the ship. They shoot back and the thing dies, but they realize it is pregnant so they do a phaser c-section and get the baby out. Baby then latches onto the Enterprise and starts sucking energy like it is milk. They decide that is no go because energy drain, so they find more of these aliens and use some technobabble reason to make the energy "taste bad" so the baby leaves the ship and goes back to the other alien things.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
perhaps it has a slight spin, yet not enough gravity to keep the lighter material from succombing to centrifugal force?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
^ that's the explanation i heard. (the moon's orbit is inside and parallel to saturn's rings, for those that weren't aware)

• 1Like

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
It orbits inside of Saturn's A-ring in the Encke gap. The accretion you see is just matter being drawn onto its surface over time by gravity. Saturn's rings are very thin, like 10m or so thick. Being in a parallel orbit the location they fall on Pan's surface will also be in a narrow range.

Pans_highway_3-05-07.jpg

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Ah neat. So it's a mote that carved out its own orbit.

I wonder if some of those little gaps belonged to similar motes that got too big, too slow, too heavy, and just fell in. I wonder how long it takes to close one of those gaps.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
The gaps don't exist without moons I believe, otherwise they'd fill in. If one failed or escaped it would fill in over time, as I understand it.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The gaps don't exist without moons I believe, otherwise they'd fill in. If one failed or escaped it would fill in over time, as I understand it.
The largest are due to moons clearing the paths, most of the others are from orbital resonance with said moons. That said, there's thousand of gaps, and we have very little idea of the mechanisms involved.

The biggest oddity is of course the Phoebe ring, which is at a 27 degree angle to the rest of all the rings.

(there's a reason why Phoebe is alien stuff in The Expanse... it is really a captured asteroid that does not really belong in the Saturn system)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users