The Astronomy Thread

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
NGC-4656 Hockey Stick or Crowbar Galaxy. 30 million light-years from earth.

View attachment 535417

Looks good. I'm going to order one soon as I check my tablet to make sure the app works on it. I'm sure it will it's a Samsung but I need to dig it out to be sure. Soon as I get back from the Mayo clinic next week, did notice it's $50 more on Amazon compared to order it from Astronomics, the only other place I looked. Too bad I didn't have an appointment earlier when they were really having the northern lights. I saw them in AK but they were pretty tame while I was there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Decided to look up all the people who have ventured further than LEO and found out that it's pretty depressing to think about it. They are all born in an 8 year period from 1928 to 1936. The youngest person that has been past LEO is Thomas Mattingly, born in 1936 (and died in 2023). The youngest person still alive is Rusty Schweickart born Oct 25 1935, though Charles Duke is a few weeks older (both 88), and Harison Schmitt a few months (89). There are 8 people still alive who have seen the Earth from a distance with their own eyes. Not quite what most of the world expected would be the case in our current year if you think back to the expectations people had back in the late 60s and early 70s.

Still, one hopes that a new crop will soon start to see the Earth from afar. BTW perhaps this line of thinking has come about by me listening to the audiobook of James A. Mitchener's Space which details the chronical of the US's early space program. Good book. Paints a completely different picture of life in the USA than we are used to here.

1720432877980.png

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i want seestar to make something bigger with a better sensor
the sensor is only 2 MP for 500 bucks it is great for what it does.

i would like it to be upgraded to a larger size for the sensor and the aperture.

say in the 12 MP or higher for the sensor and if the aperture was offered at say 80 107 or 130 mm
would be a killer item imo, depending on how much it was.

• 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I really love my seestar. I had a 12" Meade telescope that I paid $4k pre-covid dollars for. It was too much telescope for my skill level. Had to sell it in 2022 when I had back surgery #7.

I got an S50 for my birthday and I've loved it. I was just looking at a gallery on gizmodo.com of space pics and turned out I'd shot a few of them too. Not as good for sure (this was pro equipment) but my little $500 beast could show you the details.

Yeah I'm sure ZWO will do an update / new model and as long as they don't get stupid with the cost I'll get one too.

EDIT: added pic of 12" scope

20200424_123702.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
One of you guys give me a response for this dude for why the water isn't free floating out of that glass? The retarded comment about force has already been dunked hard.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
One of you guys give me a response for this dude for why the water isn't free floating out of that glass? The retarded comment about force has already been dunked hard.

"“Water molecules like to stick to glass and also to other water molecules more than they like to disperse in the air,” Jordan Bimm, a postdoctoral researcher and space historian at the University of Chicago, told the AP. “So if there is no external force, water remains in ‘clumps’ in the weightless environment, and in this case inside the glass.”

He added that surface tension — a property of a liquid’s surface that helps define its shape and allows it to resist external forces — “also works to help maintain the static shape and presents the illusion of how water would act on the ground.”

A separate video posted on Weibo, a social media platform popular in China, in June 2022 by China’s manned space program shows behind-the-scenes footage of the Shenzhou-13 crew preparing for their livestream lesson by carefully pouring water into the glass through a straw so that it stays in place. It also clearly shows strips adhering the glass to the table."

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Burns

When he's so thoroughly stupefied, why do you need more proof? Why are you still reading these fucking people and subjecting us to their retardation. Your schtick with this shit is getting thin when it spills over from the other threads where we are prepared for that idiocy, if we so choose to read it.

Also, I guess he has never had a drink in a car or an airplane, not to mention the speed we are all moving around the sun, which is in turn, moving around the galactic center, which is in turn moving around the center of gravity of our local cluster, which is in turn moving around the center of the super cluster, which is in turn moving...

Last edited:

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
NGC-4631 The Whale Galaxy
Approx. 30 million light years away from earth.

Processed with Siril, Starnet++, and GraXpert.

#SeestarS50

NGC-4631_GraXpert.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
IC-1318 The Butterfly Nebula Approx. 1800-2000 light years from earth.

Processed using Siril,Starnet++, and GraXpert

Using a Seestar S50

IC-1318.jpg

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Borzak

Rumors are swirling after two former giants in the astronomy industry closed their doors earlier this week. Pretty sure Orion is just an importer that specifies stuff and brands them their own.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>

Rumors are swirling after two former giants in the astronomy industry closed their doors earlier this week. Pretty sure Orion is just an importer that specifies stuff and brands them their own.
Well that really sucks if true. I looked it up on google news and that one article is the only mention , which is weird but amateur astronomy has always been pretty niche.

Borzak

I don't know, cloudynights.com forum has locked all discussion on the topic, but who knows they are owned by astronomics. I know Orion has issues as of late and Meade since their lawsuit.

Last edited:

Borzak

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
NGC-5907 Sprial galaxy approx. 50 million light years from earth

Processed using Siril, Starnet++, GIMP, and GraXpert using a ZWO Seestar S50

For a laugh, bring up the histogram of this image, that's me stumbling my way through GIMP. Pretty sad but I'm getting there.

NGC-5907_GraXpert.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Decided to take another run at the Pillars of Creation in the Eagle Nebula - (Messier 16), 6.7-7K light years from earth.
NASA - Hubble & Web telescopes did it better but my little $500 wonder did a good job too. It punches WAY above it's belt.

Processed using Siril, Starnet++, GraXpert, & GIMP - all 100% free software.

Imaged on a ZWO Seestar S50

Pillars of creation - M16 .jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Had dinner with my cousin from SpaceX the other night. Seems like Musk's threat to move the headquarters to Texas from CA is mostly hot air and will just entail changing the address on the corporate paperwork. No offices, employees, equipment, etc, are being relocated.

He had some details on the precise failure of the booster they lost a few weeks ago. Apparently there was either a loose clamp or some compressed insulation that allowed a pipe to vibrate and suffer a joint/seal failure. This pipe carried liquid oxygen to a sensor measuring pressure in an engine component. The leaking pipe exhausted liquid oxygen over an adjacent pipe, causing its contents to freeze. This second pipe carried some kind of ignition accelerant compound to the engine, so when they went to re-light the stage for the return burn the flow was blocked and they ended up with an excess of methox in the engine bell. Eventually the clog melted and the igniter arrived, but at that point there was too much reactant and everything exploded. Oops.

Apparently the solution that satisfied the FAA was simply to remove the pressure sensor.

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
JPL and Vandenburg military base where they do launches from are there, so makes no sense to relocate (especially since they do many military contracts).