The Astronomy Thread

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This is because we as a society do not value science and knowledge, mostly because those at the top of the pyramid know that to do so brings unwanted scrutiny upon the elite. If there is any reason (other than sheer greed) that our nation has fallen from the top, it is because we stopped being the leader in pushing the technology envelope.

Northerner

N00b
Given the general respect levels that society has for teachers, doctors, engineers etc I'd disagree with you.
Well, assuming we want to conflate respect with remuneration then all of those are well below financial analysts, CEO-level managers (even VPs or grunt MBAs in many cases), lawyers and politicians. Even if you are going with social pull then really only the doctors come out on top, with teachers winning an award for "you poor bastards".

Engineers may get respect on par with accountants or a little better but research PhDs and the like tend to get very little respect of any kind.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Simple mental exercise. Name ten CEOs. Name ten NFL players. Name ten music artists. Now name ten scientists/teachers. See how long it takes the average derp to do each of those things.

And its worse than simple ignorance. Ask people to name fictional characters of the same sort of categories and you will notice a general pattern of the average person just not giving a fuck about brilliant scientific people, let alone teaching. Most people will rattle off Einstein, Hawking, perhaps Newton, and maybe Darwin (which is a dubious one at that). After that its a lot of derping. Those same jackasses can probably rattle off the names of all the fucking Fellowship of the Ring characters, Starship Enterprise Crew, and Jersey Shore cast members with zero effort.

We have started to lionize stupid.

Szlia

This is a remarkably silly comparison, because part of the business of NFL players is to be well known, to sell jerseys, to sell tickets. Part of the business of CEOs is to be the face of their company. Scientists? They have no reason to be known outside their peers, unless they decide to sell books or become a public personality (for instance by becoming a CEO or, more rarely, a NFL player).

The anti-science conspiracy by the elite to keep people dumb is also pretty stupid. The problem is that, during the cold war, setting an extravagant and mostly useless goal to make a symbolic and nationalistic point was something politician could agree on. Today, setting an extravagant and mostly useless goal for the inspiration of the youth and the off-chance of having to find creative solutions for side problems that might have applications outside the field of space conquest... not so hot. The asteroid mining thing is an attempt to set a goal that, while extravagant, has at least a tangible reward (a reward that can probably be obtained more easily by looking down instead of up, but that's another debate).

Also, not all knowledge are created equal. Learning things about objects unfathomably distant and processes spanning billions of years is not exactly high priority. At this point, I should recycle my story about one of the most brilliant mind I know. The guy wanted from a young age to be an astrophysicist, was very studious, got showered in prices and awards at the end of high school, went to college and... a couple years later branched to biology. Why? Because he realized that the awe inspiring field he dreamed about during his youth was the land of bullshit artists who can make wild theories without them having any impact on any sort of reality, so he moved to a field that is more in scale with our existence.

That was the anti-NASA post of the day! (I am pro fundamental physics!)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Well, assuming we want to conflate respect with remuneration then all of those are well below financial analysts, CEO-level managers (even VPs or grunt MBAs in many cases), lawyers and politicians. Even if you are going with social pull then really only the doctors come out on top, with teachers winning an award for "you poor bastards".

Engineers may get respect on par with accountants or a little better but research PhDs and the like tend to get very little respect of any kind.
I don't really know what you're arguing for here. In our society people are paid based on their ability to generate income. Are you saying that we, as a society, should get together and vote on how people should be paid?

khalid

Unelected Mod
Professors at the college level are very highly respected by the general public, at least in my experience. More so than someone with a high-paying job.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Well until former astronauts stop dropping from pancreatic cancer, this is the best they can do. Radiation shielding needs to improve before we can get serious about long term missions and that part of the tech has not really advanced much since the first shuttle launches.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Meanwhile in actual space news:
http://www.space.com/22252-women-ast...tion-risk.html

Radiation = Discrimination

Sounds like a good bumper sticker.

Also, anyone got pics of the Blue Moon they want to share? (Do not take a pic of your ass with it painted blue)
NASA follows radiation exposure recommendations established by the National Council of Radiation Protection and Measurements. The exposure limits for women are about 20 percent lower compared to men "largely due to additional cancer risk for woman from breast, ovarian, and uterine cancers," Jeffs told SPACE.com.
Stupid bitches(assuming that is scientifically sound).

Archangel_sl

shitlord
Hullo everyone
smile.png

I was just given a Celestron PowerSeeker 114EQ as a sort of late birthday present
smile.png
It is a and-me-down (no way would I let them just chuck such an awesome scope into the hard rubbish tip! ) for eyepieces I have a I have a 15mm Kellner, a 9mm Kellner, a doubling Barlow lens (1.5") and 3 filters --(which I am totally unfamiliar with)-- a blue planetary filter, a red planetary filter, and a moon filter.

I was wondering if anyone has this same scope,or any experience with more advanced telescopes that they can offer me some advice
smile.png

Even better would be if they were in the Melbourne Australia area and knew of great sites stores, or clubs that could be fun to join.....
biggrin.png

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I am an amatuer astronomer and astrophotographer, what do you want to know?

If you really get serious on the telescope end and/or casual observing check outwww.cloudynights.com

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
love that site borzak.

i have been lax in my observing at night mostly due to laziness and not much i want to look at

i have an older 8" celestron dobsonian (~20yrs old) and an orion 5" Cat which i have on an alt/az ioptron cube mount using metal surveyor's legs (WAY sturdier than stock 1"tube these things are rock solid steady)
eyepieces i have a mixed bag of them 3-baader hyperion eyepieces.

if the comet survives the sun encounter i plan on viewing that.

Archangel_sl

shitlord
I am an amatuer astronomer and astrophotographer, what do you want to know?

If you really get serious on the telescope end and/or casual observing check outwww.cloudynights.com
I had a look at the Cloudynights site, which just made me feel a bit stupid. 25 years or so ago my grandfather gave me a 12" telescope that was about 6 feet long, fully motorized, etc. I had no fucking idea what I was doing, but allI wanted to see back then was The moon and Halley's Comet. Once that was done, I shoved it in the corner of the garage.

I'm trying to find a local astronomy club to find people that I can learn more easily from, as opposed to staring at the pages of a book. Also, it's damned annoying being in the Southern Hemisphere: I feel celestially lost without Polaris to use as reference.

Now, if it would just STOP RAINING and give me a CLEAR night, I'd be much happier!

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The best tip I can give you for starting to observe is to get a pair of binoculars and just sit out and look till you get familiar with the sky. Then worry about using a telescope and get it aligned and all that. You can really see a lot on a dark night in a dark spot with binos.