xoomba.png

Aliens Staring Contest GIF

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
A flat landing site isn't necessary anyway. The Starship is so big it'll just blow an even landing site into the moon on landing.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i am sure they have designed a good system, just need to incorporate it into something that is feasible to use while maintaining a minimalistic approach for weight and volume. i know sometimes the best ideas end up coming from "left field" so who knows what better solution can be derived.
heck maybe a "balloon" style landing would work better than legs.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Well, FoH would definitely be better at running the country, so maybe they should give him a shot at landing something remotely on the moon better than they did.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
how much wider a "base" is needed for mars (to compensate for wind) etc.
Although the wind can be extremely fast, the atmosphere itself is 1% of Earth's. A "tempest" on Mars is basically a strong breeze here. Enough to blow dust around (since zero humidity), but not much more.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

BrutulTM BrutulTM has a good idea. I wonder if you could slag a round section with a nuke or laser. Would it melt and cool flat?

Nuke no. There’s no way you could detonate it close enough to literally smooth a surface. It would also irradiate the soil. Lasers would be too high an energy cost

Your best bet would be sending robots that can prep a landing site

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Although the wind can be extremely fast, the atmosphere itself is 1% of Earth's. A "tempest" on Mars is basically a strong breeze here. Enough to blow dust around (since zero humidity), but not much more.
Now I wonder how's static electricity on mars, thx. No humidity and small dust particles, things must be getting wild

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Now I wonder how's static electricity on mars, thx. No humidity and small dust particles, things must be getting wild

Neat.

"When Martian storms become particularly strong, the friction between dust grains causes them to become electrified, transferring positive and negative charges through static electricity. According to research led by planetary scientist Alian Wang at Washington University in St. Louis, this electrical force could be the major driving force of the Martian chlorine cycle. Based on their analysis, Wang and her colleagues believe this process could account for the abundant perchlorates and other chemicals that robotic missions have detected in Martian soil."

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

Ever since mid-November, the Voyager 1 spacecraft has been sending messages back to Earth that don't make any sense. It's as if the aging spacecraft has suffered some kind of stroke that's interfering with its ability to speak.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U
Neat.

"When Martian storms become particularly strong, the friction between dust grains causes them to become electrified, transferring positive and negative charges through static electricity. According to research led by planetary scientist Alian Wang at Washington University in St. Louis, this electrical force could be the major driving force of the Martian chlorine cycle. Based on their analysis, Wang and her colleagues believe this process could account for the abundant perchlorates and other chemicals that robotic missions have detected in Martian soil."

Sounds like a power source to me. Fields of conductive rods hooked into my martian Tesla.
As for the moon as I said, the first starships will land horizontal packed with supplies and materials. Then a lander will land people who will use those to construct a solid pad, either in premade sections or by way of space concrete and once empty those starships will be repurposed into habs and SpaceX plans to launch so many nonstop like they do Falcon9s it will be both rapid and easily account for losses.
Don't think anyone else can pull that off. It's taking NASA 20 years and 6969Billion dollars to just do a flyby.

Speaking of which next starship launch is very very very soon. 7-8 days soon
1709782252091.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Oldbased

> Than U
Watched a YT video last night about leaks from the NASA/SpaceX lunar program.
Most thought little progress had been made because they have been so tight lipped but people have snuck out photos and videos of training here and there and the lander module is basically the upper half of a starship as it is now including one which is nothing but interior design but no photos have managed to be leaked from inside. NASA also said SpaceX has completed 30 milestones of the funding/program.

While Biden and his team hate Elon, they can no longer weaponize the FAA and wildlife groups against him or SpaceX as the Air Force and NASA are putting pressure on the administration to back off and let the cook and cook they shall. Flight 2 only had 17 corrections from FAA which were easily done.

Also Starship and the booster are starting to look more like a spacecraft instead of a rocker grain silo.