The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
It's seriously the story of four bats?

I can't say I'm all that optimistic about FF16 at this rate.
Yes , 16 though is a different game vs Stranger in Paradise, as it is written and also designed by Yoshi P and the writing crew from FFXIV it will be a different game, the best part though is that with the combat system designed by the DMC guy(hence why SE picked him up from Capcom) it should be really good.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
tl;dr Spring of 2022 for next update on FF16

x7hod3dia3881.jpg

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Can I pick up Bravely Default 2 without playing the first one and not be lost? The sequel is on Steam but the goddamn first one never made it to their store.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Can I pick up Bravely Default 2 without playing the first one and not be lost? The sequel is on Steam but the goddamn first one never made it to their store.

Yeah you're good. Some very minor references to the first game but they don't impact the story at all.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Lot of games trapped on 3DS that I wish would get released on Switch or other platforms. Bravely Default, Bravely Second, MH4U, Samus Returns, the only DQ7 remaster on ANY platform since the horribly dated PS1 original, etc. And all of these things are way overpriced because there's no other way to play them except on an antiquated, awkwardly-designed 3DS. It makes me semi-angry at Nintendo for just leaving things like this when they're the pioneers of the virtual console.

joz123

Potato del Grande
I just sucked it up and paid 100 bucks for a New 2DS and hacked it to play the 3DS only stuff. Plus being able to play GBA and DS games is a plus.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Lot of games trapped on 3DS that I wish would get released on Switch or other platforms. Bravely Default, Bravely Second, MH4U, Samus Returns, the only DQ7 remaster on ANY platform since the horribly dated PS1 original, etc. And all of these things are way overpriced because there's no other way to play them except on an antiquated, awkwardly-designed 3DS. It makes me semi-angry at Nintendo for just leaving things like this when they're the pioneers of the virtual console.

"pioneers" of a system they haven't updated in years, and holy shit can you tell ..

Malakriss

Seems like none of the FF threads have been bumped in awhile. An interview happened overnight (from NA perspective) and some FFXVI news came out, articles will quote in the morning.

FFXVI will not be an open world, but area based. Various AI companions will fight alongside.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
So FF16 is gonna be PS5-only? Could hurt sales, but I'm glad it isn't also on PS4. The PS5 games that are built FOR PS5 look so much better than double-console games so far.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So FF16 is gonna be PS5-only? Could hurt sales, but I'm glad it isn't also on PS4. The PS5 games that are built FOR PS5 look so much better than double-console games so far.
There's a fair amount of PS5 sold now, and more to come before this releases, if anything the switch has been really slow this generation.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I just sucked it up and paid 100 bucks for a New 2DS and hacked it to play the 3DS only stuff. Plus being able to play GBA and DS games is a plus.

I finally sucked it up and got another 3DS, cause none of this shit seems to be coming to Switch any time ever. Bunch of stuff that I missed out on and with no HD or console re-releases on the horizon I decided to just get it done. Not like any of these are going to lose value over time or anything and I'll probably end up reselling all of it at a profit eventually.

Paid extra for a modded and region unlocked system that can record video and take screenshots (via computer connection). Also got DQ7, DQ8, DQ9, Bravely Default, Bravely Second, FF12 Revenant Wings, and a couple Pokemon gens. Not Black/White 1 and 2 though cause those are ludicrously expensive and wtf.

Gonna check out Bravely Default first cause I want to play more stuff with classes.

• 1Like

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
BD is very good, Bravely Second is a masterpiece of the genre IMO. You do need to play Bravely Default first though or else you'll miss a lot of the story connections that make it so good.

I think DQ9 is very good if you do multiplayer, but as a single player game I think it's just okay.

Siliconemelons

BD is very good, Bravely Second is a masterpiece of the genre IMO. You do need to play Bravely Default first though or else you'll miss a lot of the story connections that make it so good.

I think DQ9 is very good if you do multiplayer, but as a single player game I think it's just okay.
I thought B2nd weebed the story that was setup in BD so I never bothered with it... I also never min-maxxed to get the "good-good" ending of BD.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I thought B2nd weebed the story that was setup in BD so I never bothered with it... I also never min-maxxed to get the "good-good" ending of BD.

It's a little weeby but still very good. The character relationships become much more clearly defined (I'd argue that their ambiguity in the first game is more stereotypical "weeby".)

Siliconemelons

It's a little weeby but still very good. The character relationships become much more clearly defined (I'd argue that their ambiguity in the first game is more stereotypical "weeby".)
I will have to give it a go, BD was done well and the system allowed me - who is currently suffering through FF3 and dreading FF5 - who is no good as class based RPG's as they tend to lean twaord a min-maxing "need" more so than traditional a fighting chance to get through the game.

To me they did weeb a little out on the ending of BD with "lulz the real world!" - but the overall working of the game and its by nature convoluted time-traveling stuff was done well. At the start, it was fairly straight forward, but as you uncovered more and more it all started to accelerate and crescendo up to the final... I did however feel the Vampire stuff was an odd hard stop bump in the road that they eeked out a decent tie in at the end, then pushed you back into the ending.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
The vampire stuff in BD was optional content I believe, that's why it might have seemed odd toward the end. There are sidequests that expand upon it further in BS.

Malakriss

Since this is mainly rumors that covers multiple FF topics I will post it here
According to their information, the Final Fantasy 9 remake was looking to launch at some point in the summer of 2024, but those plans may have changed. The leaker also said that the Final Fantasy 10 remake currently has a "skeleton crew" and will not be making the game's anniversary.
Final Fantasy 10-3 was mentioned in conjunction with the FF10 remake, but it's unclear if the projects are one and the same.
In the same leak, the leaker also claimed that Square Enix has new PS5 dev kits that could very well be the rumored PS5 Pro console.
As far as other Final Fantasy leaks, it's been said that Square Enix has a Nintendo Switch 2 dev kit as well and has successfully ported Final Fantasy 7 Remake to Nintendo's next console. The possibility was floated that Final Fantasy 7 Remake will be a launch title for the next Nintendo console

Fadaar

That guy
now when they say remake... we talking like a heavy remaster or the FF7R treatment? assuming the former which would be great for 9 and 10.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
now when they say remake... we talking like a heavy remaster or the FF7R treatment? assuming the former which would be great for 9 and 10.
Remake. They're going to do it a little differently than FF7R tho, keeping more of a traditional feel and sticking with turn based combat.