The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Wonder if thats why I said 'sorta like', almost like I knew it was an imperfect comparison but didn't want to spend more time on the post.

You're on an internet forum full of faggots, inevitably that time will be spent as this post shows!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
they didn't say on the podcast. having considered that. i kind of presumed they would do emperor > kefka betrays and moves statues > similar kefka sequence that we got. under the assumption that they spent time on that art and would use it in either scenario. it sounds kind of retarded to us. but think of the other final fantasy games that you fight the "last guy", and then some one else pops out and goes "NO, IT WAS ME! THE TRUE GOD OF DEATH LOL FIGHT ME NOW".

One thing they touched upon is that most of the set pieces were built in their own sort of silo, and then the main story writers had to stitch them together in a logical way. so Sabin / shadow > doma...some how lead from an archaic castle+samurai valorous kingdom to...a train...in the woods. then the veldt and a diving helmet and the sea. it's pretty nonsensical, partially because each 'element' was built independantly, then the writers charted characters through it.

apparently the game got so over-packed, that the guy who wrote the script had to go back and trim dialogue out to make it fit into the cartridges memory. which i presume is why some conversations cut off or seem to be ill explained.

man that podcast was so good. one of the more interesting aspects of it was that they point out that the (producer? main writer?) went to school for theater. so the game, and most earlier FF's were stage plays. but FF7 + 8...are cinematic because the guys doing those went to school for cinema. and they were in more of a frame of LOOK AT VISUALS than "let the language of the story carry the actors on the very sparsely decorated stage"

That's all pretty interesting. Few things fascinate me like cut or modified SNES RPGs and their "original scope".

FF6 makes a lot more sense now that I know it was episodic and stitched together.

I think it's plausible that after Atma Weapon, the game could have gone into the Kefka Pillar final battles, with him moving the statues and killing the emperor before that.

It's also possible that the FC was supposed to be a second, smaller overworld. FF3 did it.

As far as me not playing WoB at first, to be fair, I was like 13 and it was my second RPG ever (after Chrono Trigger). I had no idea what I was doing yet. Jumping forward with people's saves on a rental cart was appealing to me as someone who grew up in the era of warp zones and cheat codes. I had a ways to go to adjust to the RPG ways of doing things, and them not just being about bolting to the end.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

There was an interview with the female dev that I think did Celes, and used to be an artist? - the entire game was not split up - that section was - she explained it.

The story was unified in terms of Start-Stuff-Stuff-Finish - the details of stuff fell into the 3 people / teams that did the 3-way split scenario at the "start" of the game. As I mentioned in the Pixel Remaster thread, playing it now, the Sabin stuff is so much longer and more story than the other 2. The scenario teams worked, I guess in the minds of the people putting this together so /then/ they kind of set those teams as sort of perma teams to go about making and filling the scenarios as the game went on.

It would not have been /our/ WOB if they ended it at the floating island - there would have been more, as many have speculated - not perhaps as much more or in the same way as we got with the WOR - but there would have been more before the current end of the WOB. Like Setzer, he is almost all in WOR for his story - that story would have still been done, just in the WOB and some things modified. Like there may have been another split or tri-split in characters when approaching the Floating Content - this could have sent your 3 into the island, then had the airship destroyed splitting up into another 2 groups - this could lead Setzer's stuff and needing to get another ship to rejoin everyone at the floating content for the final confrontation etc.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
That's all pretty interesting. Few things fascinate me like cut or modified SNES RPGs and their "original scope".

FF6 makes a lot more sense now that I know it was episodic and stitched together.

I think it's plausible that after Atma Weapon, the game could have gone into the Kefka Pillar final battles, with him moving the statues and killing the emperor before that.

It's also possible that the FC was supposed to be a second, smaller overworld. FF3 did it.

As far as me not playing WoB at first, to be fair, I was like 13 and it was my second RPG ever (after Chrono Trigger). I had no idea what I was doing yet. Jumping forward with people's saves on a rental cart was appealing to me as someone who grew up in the era of warp zones and cheat codes. I had a ways to go to adjust to the RPG ways of doing things, and them not just being about bolting to the end.
I was almost the same but used Game Genie to power through RPGs lol

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
they should make a real version of that FF6 / ff tactics hybrid thin a fan made concept art for.

The resonant arc podcast really REALLY broke down FF6's story and production. basically the FF6 team was chadding so hard. they decided to do world of ruin partway through develoment. origionally the game was meant to 'end' at the floating continent, but they did so much so fast with such quality they said yolo and leaned into it like savages and cranked out the whole world of ruin sequence on top of what they had built already.

It's hard to believe this because it's so hard to imagine FF6 without WoR. It would seem short as WoB only game?

Anyone got a link to that podcast?

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Just started watching - they talked about how it is considered the best, but not one they replay alot - I think that is because it is just, so good and it emotes to you, you do not need to really replay it to exp it, but just think about it and recall it etc.

And that makes me think- of why myself I find that I am not super eager to get to this play though on the Pixle Remaster. I did them all in order... but I find myself just thinking about it and enjoying the story and stuff - I am enjoying taking more time on this playthough... yet I still missed Locke's girl in the basement lol, not until just yesterday when I was wondering around heh.

edit: oh they explain why 8 sucks! haha

ohh 8 sucks btw

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Im listening to the podcast today, Im on episode 2 so far.

I had no idea that they redid and retranslated FF6 to improve on the original Woolsey translation (I also learned about Woolseyisms).

So whats considered the best, definitive FF6 version now from the dialogue and art standpoint? From translation standpoint theyre saying its the Game Boy Advance version.

Siliconemelons

Im listening to the podcast today, Im on episode 2 so far.

I had no idea that they redid and retranslated FF6 to improve on the original Woolsey translation (I also learned about Woolseyisms).

So whats considered the best, definitive FF6 version now from the dialogue and art standpoint? From translation standpoint theyre saying its the Game Boy Advance version.

I have noticed there are some smoother phrases in the pixle remaster- but it still has some scenes (esp at the beginning) where you can tell it is just cut. I have not played the Advanced version - there was a few many version comparisons - the ones I watched all say that its either play the SNES version or Pixle Remaster.

But I think there are many here that can give a better perspective.

Edit: also just now watching the podcast, near end of episode 1. This is the first time I have watched a real plot story, dev, history etc analysis or discussion - so I am like that one host guy thats like "Oh Terra was just a change from Tina and her hair is green just so everyone is not blond...well...that puts a damper on my understanding of her and Celes relationship / symbolism etc." lol

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Edit: also just now watching the podcast, near end of episode 1. This is the first time I have watched a real plot story, dev, history etc analysis or discussion - so I am like that one host guy thats like "Oh Terra was just a change from Tina and her hair is green just so everyone is not blond...well...that puts a damper on my understanding of her and Celes relationship / symbolism etc." lol

LOL yeah, its really interesting stuff.

Goonsquad Officer
I have noticed there are some smoother phrases in the pixle remaster- but it still has some scenes (esp at the beginning) where you can tell it is just cut. I have not played the Advanced version - there was a few many version comparisons - the ones I watched all say that its either play the SNES version or Pixle Remaster.

But I think there are many here that can give a better perspective.

hah yea. i think some where they talk about how the 'oldest' version of her was very much like the pixels we saw in FF6, rather than the concept art (stoned chick above). so it' kind of puts a weird spin on which version looks like what.

un related, but i'm of the opion that FF6's main character(s) are Locke, Terra, and Celes. and the core of the story is kind of how locke lost a girl, found a girl, fell for a girl, rejected a girl. vanished, then the girl he liked found him again.

I learned a lot about the game in the podcast, they pointed out a lot of tiny things that flew over even my spergy ass who played it front to end several times, including with friends (2 player mode for the win) and read over the stratigy guide over and over in school.

Siliconemelons

hah yea. i think some where they talk about how the 'oldest' version of her was very much like the pixels we saw in FF6, rather than the concept art (stoned chick above). so it' kind of puts a weird spin on which version looks like what.

un related, but i'm of the opion that FF6's main character(s) are Locke, Terra, and Celes. and the core of the story is kind of how locke lost a girl, found a girl, fell for a girl, rejected a girl. vanished, then the girl he liked found him again.

I learned a lot about the game in the podcast, they pointed out a lot of tiny things that flew over even my spergy ass who played it front to end several times, including with friends (2 player mode for the win) and read over the stratigy guide over and over in school.

They interviewed the "Concept" artist in one of the new Netflix game documentaries - forgot what one - but they talked about FinalFantasy as that was what one of his most well known games was- what he said lined up with what I so far (still episode 1) of the podcast says - The art dude just did what he wanted based on general stuff - handed it over to Square. He said he likes the end result, but his art is his art, the pixle art is their art and each their own. There is some relation, obviously, but there are also differences from limitations etc.

As for Locke and Terra / Celes - you can /infer/ some of the changes when they made Celes a bigger part - Locke kinda is like oh Terra ill protect you! I lost someoen special and I am im planting her onto you. oh Celes I will protect you too, same kinda thing...yeah..umm...okay what one am I to go for? Oh, Celes okay got it - well that leaves Terra out in the cold.. LEO okay yeah, you meet him and instantly want to jump on him, but well, he is dead...so, now your sad.

Siliconemelons

Getting into episode 2.

The FF4 DS script is so much better - I really agree with them on that. And wants me to now play the GB Advanced Version... I think the Pixle Remasters are more aligned with the SNES versions with slight modifications... I think... dunno really I didn't research what the PE's scripts are.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Really good insight how all of FF6 is basically structured as a theater play.

Siliconemelons

Had some work, so I have paused the podcast....

So now I have been thinking of the difference between FF4 and FF4DS - one thing they kind-of mentioned, as the podcast is about 6 not 4 - but I kinda light-bulbed while remembering it.

In even the pixle remaster, and SNES etc. Cecil was eh a dark knight... kain was a dragoon... etc. etc. they were more of "classes".

In FF4DS - the introduction scenes - Intro, Crystal, Return, Expulsion, Exiting the Castle - to me, it really felt that the "classes" where /who the characters/ are their identity was more part of their class than, a simple "thing they did" - having played the pixel remaster- the dialogue was improved, but still not as good. While in ff4DS this kind of feeling tapered off after the "main trio", it kind of felt like it was an imposed Baron-mindset that the kingdom of Baron used to instill devotion and identity upon their people etc. Also after Baron, each other place was /a thing/ such as Monk, Summoners, Mages...or generic town, Baron was more diverse, Dragoon, White Mage, Dark Knight, etc etc.

It is still interesting to me how that goes... Now I want to look up FF6 fan translations and play the advanced version lol

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
good conversation on the box art and how it sold games

awesome
1694194676113.png

not bad
1694194715139.png

japan art for super famicom. awesome.
1694194924638.png