The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Fadaar

That guy
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Needless

Toe Sucker
the fuck would they even do with a X-3? lmao
assume its the perfect ending to X-2 and tidus is magically not just a dream? sounds whack

good to hear ff9 will stay turn based though

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
They've been talking about doing an FFX-3 for an insanely long time.

Well, Kingdom Hearts 3 also took a really long time IIRC. Never played any of those but I remember a lot of "we're never getting KH3" talk.

There was still more story to tell with FFX-3 so I'm fine with them doing it.

Feels like an FFX remaster is totally unnecessary and a waste of resources though. They did an FFX-HD a few years ago that's perfectly good on modern systems. FFIX also got a pretty sharp HD version but at least it still has room for improvement, so I guess I'm okay with it getting remastered a second time.

Just feels weird that we're getting these though. I'd instead focus on bringing things to modern systems that aren't currently available. Things like:

-FF13 Trilogy HD Remaster(s)
-Dragon Quest 10 Single-Player (which is out in Japan and inexplicably not scheduled for release here... fans are working on translation patches but it's gonna be a while and they shouldn't have to)
-Remasters of some more Dragon Quest games... DQ8 is the glaringly obvious one, but also DQ7 and DQ9 are basically trapped on the 3DS as things are currently.

I just don't get the logic of re-remastering FFX or doing a 2D-HD of DQ3 when you've got the above things basically trapped on old consoles and in need of some sort of visual restoration either way.

But I'll accept an FFIX HD 2.0 I guess, and FFX-3 could be cool. At least it's something new.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Square "All our new FF games suck... should we make a new FF game that is turn based and high fantasy again with a good plot, lots of characters, 4-5 characters all controlled by the player..... nope, why would we do that? keep making DMC clones- we will -remake- old games that will still be turn based, the people love it!"

• 1Tiresome

Chris

Potato del Grande
assume its the perfect ending to X-2 and tidus is magically not just a dream? sounds whack

There's some sort of depressing sequel short story where Yuna and Tidus have split up and Sin is back. Yeah... no thanks.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Just feels weird that we're getting these though. I'd instead focus on bringing things to modern systems that aren't currently available. Things like:

Still don't understand this. They are available on PC and XBOX with upgraded visuals but not ps4/ps5.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

The world is in crisis again and Yuna needs to find a way to bring Tidus out of the dream world and turn him into a real boy

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
They've been talking about doing an FFX-3 for an insanely long time.

Well, Kingdom Hearts 3 also took a really long time IIRC. Never played any of those but I remember a lot of "we're never getting KH3" talk.

There was still more story to tell with FFX-3 so I'm fine with them doing it.

Feels like an FFX remaster is totally unnecessary and a waste of resources though. They did an FFX-HD a few years ago that's perfectly good on modern systems. FFIX also got a pretty sharp HD version but at least it still has room for improvement, so I guess I'm okay with it getting remastered a second time.

-Dragon Quest 10 Single-Player (which is out in Japan and inexplicably not scheduled for release here... fans are working on translation patches but it's gonna be a while and they shouldn't have to)
-Remasters of some more Dragon Quest games... DQ8 is the glaringly obvious one, but also DQ7 and DQ9 are basically trapped on the 3DS as things are currently.

I just don't get the logic of re-remastering FFX or doing a 2D-HD of DQ3 when you've got the above things basically trapped on old consoles and in need of some sort of visual restoration either way.

But I'll accept an FFIX HD 2.0 I guess, and FFX-3 could be cool. At least it's something new.
Final Fantasy 6 Remake is what they should be doing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
World of Ruin is one of the greatest things to happen in gaming history.

It's a year after you lost to the comedy relief secondary antagonist and you control a secondary character who is trying to kill herself by jumping off a cliff.

Somehow, SOMEHOW, you have to claw your way off that beach and rebuild your party against all the odds.

One main character is at the bottom of one of the hardest dungeons in the game with mechanics that almost guarentee you are getting him last. The other main character you find early but lost the will to fight and just doesn't want to join you, oh and winning may just cause her death.

Everyone has gone through some shit and changed... needing rescue or character development to join you. Except fucking Sabin, who is wandering the world just being Sabin.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

World of Ruin is one of the greatest things to happen in gaming history.

It's a year after you lost to the comedy relief secondary antagonist and you control a secondary character who is trying to kill herself by jumping off a cliff.

Somehow, SOMEHOW, you have to claw your way off that beach and rebuild your party against all the odds.

One main character is at the bottom of one of the hardest dungeons in the game with mechanics that almost guarentee you are getting him last. The other main character you find early but lost the will to fight and just doesn't want to join you, oh and winning may just cause her death.

Everyone has gone through some shit and changed... needing rescue or character development to join you. Except fucking Sabin, who is wandering the world just being Sabin.

At the floating island in replaying 6 pixel remaster version - This is the first FF game where a "a message(s)" of sorts can be better conveyed in a game - while most point to 7 for that, and there are obviously plot and themes in all before it- 6 really has the characters and story to give some real beef to everything.

I will give tree-bro-ex death a 3rd place award for actually doing big bad blow up the world stuff, with 2nd place being FF9 - but 1st place always is Kefka and absolutely destroying the world and throwing many of your characters into a living hell and depression.

Terra is obviously depressed and has lost her will to fight - but she also found love, something she thought she saw and wanted in Leo - but she found it in motherhood and fostering the village of children... it was that that she held on to and used as a veil for not fighting, until she is forced to realize she must fight in order to love and protect her children (and, I suppose the world)

FF6 is better moral messages imo, just not as apparent or clearly stated as what many claim praise on FF7 "save the earf bro, nuklar power is bhad, big company bros are the evil." hippy messaging.

I think is also better done by the larger cast of FF6, something no FF game has done since because...reasons.

But Celes is not really secondary, nor is Terra primary - they are both, Earth (Terra) and Heavens (Celestial) both are leads - Terra is just presented first and most naturally attune to that. Again I will rant about how there has always been "female" leads in video games - people just didnt make it a deal, and if you point back at them they hand-wave it off and still demang GURLPOWAR.

FF4- Rydia has nearly as much development as Cecil and Kain. 3 Main cast are female.
FF5 - Bartz really is just there, sure there is some development mid game of him being the son of one of the dudes, but really the princess and lost princess are a primary focus and then Gaulf's arc is all to lead to his granddaughter taking over - 3 of 4 characters in your party are female.
FF6 - Terra and Celes are the main character(s) - all the rest of the bro's are really support characters to either or both of them.
FF7 - Tifa used to be big enough to take on all roles, till she got modernized.
FF8 - Sucks

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Tifa is definitely big enough if you know what I mean ;) giggity

• 1Worf

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Terra may be the game mascot but Locke is the main character of the World of Balance. As for large casts, voice acting pretty much guarantees we won't see those again although the bombing of Chrono Cross might have contributed to that too. Because as we all know, there is no happy medium anywhere between 5 and 67.

Goonsquad Officer
they should make a real version of that FF6 / ff tactics hybrid thin a fan made concept art for.

The resonant arc podcast really REALLY broke down FF6's story and production. basically the FF6 team was chadding so hard. they decided to do world of ruin partway through develoment. origionally the game was meant to 'end' at the floating continent, but they did so much so fast with such quality they said yolo and leaned into it like savages and cranked out the whole world of ruin sequence on top of what they had built already.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The resonant arc podcast really REALLY broke down FF6's story and production. basically the FF6 team was chadding so hard. they decided to do world of ruin partway through develoment. origionally the game was meant to 'end' at the floating continent, but they did so much so fast with such quality they said yolo and leaned into it like savages and cranked out the whole world of ruin sequence on top of what they had built already.
That actually explains quite a lot. I love FF6 and it will always be one of my favorite games ever but the WoB is so much better than the WoR. Which is not to say that the WoR is bad, but it's sorta like Mass Effect 2 where it's almost all character loyalty missions and very little main story, except there is no 'main story' in WoR, just do everyone's sidequest (loyalty mission) until the party is reassembled.

Goonsquad Officer
That actually explains quite a lot. I love FF6 and it will always be one of my favorite games ever but the WoB is so much better than the WoR. Which is not to say that the WoR is bad, but it's sorta like Mass Effect 2 where it's almost all character loyalty missions and very little main story, except there is no 'main story' in WoR, just do everyone's sidequest (loyalty mission) until the party is reassembled.
absolutely. it felt kind of like a mixed bag end-game thing and less like a 'stage play', which is how the first half of the game plays out.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
they should make a real version of that FF6 / ff tactics hybrid thin a fan made concept art for.

So was the final boss going to be Emperor Gestahl? Up until the end of the Floating Continent he was pretty much the main antagonist and Kefka was just his stooge, half comic relief and half serious foe.

Also wondering if the Floating Continent would have been a lot bigger under this scenario, maybe had the 3 statue fights and the demonic pillar or whatever it was.

Cause unless the FC was way longer (and maybe multiple areas...they did call it a Continent), FF6 ending with WoB would be kind of short for an FF. Especially after the very long FF5. Though now that I think about it, a WoB-only FF6 would probably be about in line with FF4's length.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

The WoB is better, and for a long time I didn't even play it. Reading about the game in Nintendo Power as a teenager, WoR seemed like "the cool part" where all the action was.

Then when I rented it, all the save files were in WoR. So I'd pretty much just pick up and play those. Also started a new game eventually but was felled by the Narshe war. As a result I played WoR probably 3-4 times without ever seeing any of WoB beyond the Kefka fight in Narshe.

Later when I bought the game and could really spend some time on it, I played it from the beginning and was wowed by how much better the WoB was.

Best FF6 memory is probably leaving the Narshe music playing on the TV when I went out to get the mail in the middle of winter. Could hear it outside in the cold and it was a Moment.

• 2WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Goonsquad Officer
So was the final boss going to be Emperor Gestahl? Up until the end of the Floating Continent he was pretty much the main antagonist and Kefka was just his stooge, half comic relief and half serious foe.

Also wondering if the Floating Continent would have been a lot bigger under this scenario, maybe had the 3 statue fights and the demonic pillar or whatever it was.

Cause unless the FC was way longer (and maybe multiple areas...they did call it a Continent), FF6 ending with WoB would be kind of short for an FF. Especially after the very long FF5. Though now that I think about it, a WoB-only FF6 would probably be about in line with FF4's length.
they didn't say on the podcast. having considered that. i kind of presumed they would do emperor > kefka betrays and moves statues > similar kefka sequence that we got. under the assumption that they spent time on that art and would use it in either scenario. it sounds kind of retarded to us. but think of the other final fantasy games that you fight the "last guy", and then some one else pops out and goes "NO, IT WAS ME! THE TRUE GOD OF DEATH LOL FIGHT ME NOW".

One thing they touched upon is that most of the set pieces were built in their own sort of silo, and then the main story writers had to stitch them together in a logical way. so Sabin / shadow > doma...some how lead from an archaic castle+samurai valorous kingdom to...a train...in the woods. then the veldt and a diving helmet and the sea. it's pretty nonsensical, partially because each 'element' was built independantly, then the writers charted characters through it.

apparently the game got so over-packed, that the guy who wrote the script had to go back and trim dialogue out to make it fit into the cartridges memory. which i presume is why some conversations cut off or seem to be ill explained.

man that podcast was so good. one of the more interesting aspects of it was that they point out that the (producer? main writer?) went to school for theater. so the game, and most earlier FF's were stage plays. but FF7 + 8...are cinematic because the guys doing those went to school for cinema. and they were in more of a frame of LOOK AT VISUALS than "let the language of the story carry the actors on the very sparsely decorated stage"

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

If the story purpose of WoR is to reunite with your compatriots before taking on the big bad faggot, then it could obviously appear this way. But there are many factors that differ between the two games, optionality being a primary one.

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment.