The Bear

Khane

Got something right about marriage
As an addendum, the show was very well served to move some of the most antagonistic characters forward. Richie most notably.

Softening the characters by having them grow up and moving past the "fuck the world, everyone is out to get me" attitude by having them realize that some people in the world might actually be trying to help them with tough love. There was a ton of character growth in this season vis a vis the mentorship programs Carm sent them out on.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Agreed. That's why I said I liked the Richie and Marcus episodes the most. They were pure character development.

And actually, my wife started watching season one the other day after I said how much I enjoy the show, and I didn't remember how big an asshole Tina was at the start. She's absolutely had growth that I just forgot about.

• 1Like

Khane

To be perfectly honest if they hadn't done that in the second half of the season and just kept going with the constant conflict and abuse I probably would have stopped watching the show. It was a necessary palette cleanser.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Thinking of weird Michelin Star rated restaurants, the "best Sushi in the world" comes from a 10 seat hole in the wall in a Tokyo subway station (3 star Sukiyabashi Jiro). After getting it's stars it became so well known, that they stopped taking public reservations though, causing Michelin to take it off it's books (loosing all if it's stars):

There is even a pretty good documentary about it and I don't even eat sushi (was on Netflix, linked full Youtube at bottom):
IMG_1861.jpg

A better example would be the Singapore street food stall that only does chicken.

• 1Garbage

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
2nd Season had more meat to it, much improved over Season 1, Season 1 was exhausting to watch. Sydney is the character I still like the least though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
The Jiro doc was very interesting for sure. I am totally fascinated by the Michelin mindset and have gone down the Marco Pierre White, Gordon Ramsay, Albert Roux rabbit hole for days with books, videos, etc.

• 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just started watching this, two episodes in on S1.

So far, loving it. Scared to read comments as you'll be on about S2 so I guess I'm just hoping it doesn't end up sucking.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider

So far, loving it. Scared to read comments as you'll be on about S2 so I guess I'm just hoping it doesn't end up sucking.

Don't read the comments- spoilers everywhere

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

The thread consensus is that the show is good, with the worst thing said [w/o getting spoilery] was that one episode in season 2 may have gone a little overboard with some things. I think it has kept up the same level of quality for both seasons.

You can slowly read the thread as you watch the episodes, but yea, probably hit spoilers if you get too far ahead of where you're watching.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

I also started it due to the hype around the Merz B Schwanen 215. Watched first two episodes and turned on the third - turned out third episode was actually from second series so I kinda spoiled a little bit lol.

Meh, I'm not really convinced by the show anyway

• 1Garbage

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I watched the first episode of Bear last night. I've never been so stressed out from watching a TV show before.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It gets better, but it takes almost first whole season. I've never worked in a kitchen, maybe it's accurate, but I found it aggravating. It felt like manufactured tension.

I was annoyed at myself regarding the Ghostbusters episode. I've listened to the neil cicierega version so much, I thought "bustin' makes me feel good" was only his version.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Finished season 2, amazing show, looking forward to season 3.

I generally dislike relationships in shows and Carmy's relationship with Claire is no exception. I get that it's critical for this character who hides his trauma behind being a workaholic chef to have a new girlfriend that forces him to peel that onion, but it still ended up being some dumb CW bullshit where forced misunderstanding cause drama in characters that don't really support it. His "neglect" of her is also silly because she's currently working as a medical slave in residency, so it's not like she doesn't have a deep familiarity with unhealthy balances between workaholic and relationships.

I feel like if Claire was more needy and worked at a fairly casual, low-hour job and demanded more of his attention, the relationship would work more as an antagonistic force to Carmy's workaholic lifestyle. It just presented itself as something totally compatible with Carmy working 80 hours a week, so the inevitable crash of the relationship had to be forced nonsense.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Friend had this on and I saw the omelette scene And that omelette looks fucking disgusting. People really put sour cream and onion chips with the garlic Bourbin cheese? Sounds disgusting and way over powering

Khane

That omelette looks pretty good to me.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Friend had this on and I saw the omelette scene And that omelette looks fucking disgusting. People really put sour cream and onion chips with the garlic Bourbin cheese? Sounds disgusting and way over powering

Wife started to beat eggs through a strainer and it's changed the game completely.