The Beer Thread

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Sam adams fresh as helles pretty damn close to how every helles in Germany tasted to me that i haven't been able to find in US.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I flew down to Miami this weekend and went to Wakefest. Won a bottle in the raffle and sold it before I even left Miami for $1000... sometimes craft beer is ridiculous

Yeah, that's ridiculous. Dafuq bottle of beer goes for $1000? Is anal with Kate Upton included or something?

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
It was called Bake Kujira, it's a mix of two bourbon barrel aged imperial stouts, clocks in at 17% alcohol. To be fair it's top 3 beers I've ever had... but $1000 is $1000 fuck that.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sam adams fresh as helles pretty damn close to how every helles in Germany tasted to me that i haven't been able to find in US.

Sam Adams' founder Jim Koch prefers malty old world lagers, and IMO that is what they do best.

They used to make a seasonal doppelbock that was REALLY good and a great value for a 6 pack (like ~$7 for 8.5% ABV goodness). It got moved to their pricey specialty 4 pack series at some point (2010ish?), and I haven't seen it in several years. Too bad.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
It was called Bake Kujira, it's a mix of two bourbon barrel aged imperial stouts, clocks in at 17% alcohol. To be fair it's top 3 beers I've ever had... but $1000 is $1000 fuck that.

1) Sell bottle for $1000
2) Buy a Black Tuesday for ~$50
3) ????
4) Profit

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Sam Adams' founder Jim Koch prefers malty old world lagers, and IMO that is what they do best.

They used to make a seasonal doppelbock that was REALLY good and a great value for a 6 pack (like ~$7 for 8.5% ABV goodness). It got moved to their pricey specialty 4 pack series at some point (2010ish?), and I haven't seen it in several years. Too bad.

Their Doppelbock was fantastic. Sam's still has some solid beers. Their current seasonal, Cold Snap, is amazingly good. I get excited for it every year.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm going to be in Irvine early next week for business. If I can manage to escape one night I'll try to hit up the Bruery.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Or Xata is fantastic. Let me know if you're going to make it up and want a bit of company.

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>
Just discovered this thread, nice.

My favs:

IPA's
Blind Pig - Russian River
Alter Ego - Treehouse
Maybe Maine Lunch.

Doubles
Heady Topper - Alchemist
Sip of sunshine - Lawsons
Not third, but honorable mention: Dirt Wolf - Victory

Session/Pale
Air guitar at work - Kent Falls
Super session - Lawsons

Stouts
231 scratch nitro - Troegs
Single shot - Tree house
Double shot / ATIAATEWB - TH

Ale / Blonde Ale
Eureka w/ citra - Treehouse - Can drink this beer endlessly

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Just discovered this thread, nice.

My favs:

IPA's
Blind Pig - Russian River
Alter Ego - Treehouse
Maybe Maine Lunch.

Doubles
Heady Topper - Alchemist
Sip of sunshine - Lawsons
Not third, but honorable mention: Dirt Wolf - Victory

Session/Pale
Air guitar at work - Kent Falls
Super session - Lawsons

Stouts
231 scratch nitro - Troegs
Single shot - Tree house
Double shot / ATIAATEWB - TH

Ale / Blonde Ale
Eureka w/ citra - Treehouse - Can drink this beer endlessly

Tolan Tolan responding here cause topical.

Typically drink it on the rocks, although if it's 60-70+ dollar bottle I wont.

i was in the military so was able to drink socially (and on a larger scale) since age 18 since I got stationed in europe. I thought I was cool (i wasnt) so scotch was my drink of choice for many of those years, but deep down there was something I always hated about it, and it fucking wrecked me the next day. After a few years I adventured around all sorts of spirits and just landed on bourbon. I love the taste, I love the drunk, I can easily handle the hangover even when I go overboard. It's just the all round perfect drink for me for whatever reason.

A lot of people think it's weird I hate scotch but love bourbon, but it is what it is. Only other spirits I drink is the odd vodka martini when my wife has them.

• 1Like

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>
Tolan Tolan responding here cause topical.

Typically drink it on the rocks, although if it's 60-70+ dollar bottle I wont.

i was in the military so was able to drink socially (and on a larger scale) since age 18 since I got stationed in europe. I thought I was cool (i wasnt) so scotch was my drink of choice for many of those years, but deep down there was something I always hated about it, and it fucking wrecked me the next day. After a few years I adventured around all sorts of spirits and just landed on bourbon. I love the taste, I love the drunk, I can easily handle the hangover even when I go overboard. It's just the all round perfect drink for me for whatever reason.

A lot of people think it's weird I hate scotch but love bourbon, but it is what it is. Only other spirits I drink is the odd vodka martini when my wife has them.

What would you recommend for a bourbon that drinks above its price?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
What would you recommend for a bourbon that drinks above its price?

Evan Williams all the way. It's a rail drink, bottom shelf. 10 bucks for 750ml (at least here in cali), but I've had $100+ bottles you could barely tell the difference. Definately on the low end as far as sugar goes, which is probably why I like it so much. I consider makers mark on the mid-high range of sugar. Basil Haydens is a nice happy medium for a more premium bottle. Four Roses is good, but again a little on the sweater side.

70% of my bourbon intake is evan williams, 20% basil haydens, 10% experimenting with premium bottles.

• 1Like

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>
Evan Williams all the way. It's a rail drink, bottom shelf. 10 bucks for 750ml (at least here in cali), but I've had 100+ bottles you could barely tell the difference. Definately on the low end as far as sugar goes, which is probably why I like it so much. I consider makers mark on the mid-high range of sugar. Basil Haydens is a nice happy medium for a more premium bottle. Four Roses is good, but again a little on the sweater side.

70% of my bourbon intake is evan williams, 20% basil haydens, 10% experimenting with premium bottles.
Thanks. I've had BH once, per a girl's request. It was the most shameful night of my life, but I'd probably do it again.

I'll give EW a go sometime.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks. I've had BH once, per a girl's request. It was the most shameful night of my life, but I'd probably do it again.

I'll give EW a go sometime.

I don't think there's any real evidence other than anecdotes, but I'm a firm believer that diff spirits affect people differently (both during the drunk and hangover) and that's why people settle on what they settle on as far as the hard stuff.

Also, shame is sometimes a good thing. : )

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I don't think anything drinks above its price as well as Wild Turkey 101 (this is to me the best of budget bourbon), Old Grand Dad, or Four Roses (Yellow Label). Very Old Barton is serviceable, but I cannot recommend anything else that is in that specific low price-point.

This remind I was just telling my wife the other night I needed to get a bottle of wild turkey to compare to even williams. I haven't had it since I became bourbon only cause I found evan williams first. How do you compare sweetness between the two?