The Beer Thread

kudos

<Banned>
I got my mom into IPA's by giving her a Jai Alai and telling her it tastes like grapefruit juice. Now she refers to it as "that beer with grapefruit juice". I had to explain how that is because of the hop that is used.

Funny enough New Blegium Ranger was the first IPA that made me understand the beer. West Coast IPA just solidified my love for IPA. Now it's Jai Alai all the time. I cannot stand really pine-like IPA but the more citrus the better IMO. Which is why I hated Racer 5.

Also, if you find yourself getting drunk easy off of IPA just get a 6-pack of Founders All Day IPA. That shit is amazing for a 4.7% abv and smells like a pine forest but doesn't taste like it. I started out only drinking stouts when it came to craft but have moved on to IPA's mostly. When I get too drunk off them I start with the berliner weisse to bring myself back down. Only 3% abv.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Man the Rayvon Vert from Green Flash is amazing, and the Green Bullet (first non "dank" triple IPA that I've had) is absurdly good. I'm so happy that started distributing to MN.

kudos

<Banned>
Man the Rayvon Vert from Green Flash is amazing, and the Green Bullet (first non "dank" triple IPA that I've had) is absurdly good. I'm so happy that started distributing to MN.
Their double stout is pretty good too.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I am a fan of hoppy IPA's. I dont go to much for the double or triples because to me they loose the flavor I like. I will have to try that Tug out though.
Last weekend I made a trip out to Lagunitas and this place.....IPA fans know where I am...

rrr_img_51890.jpg

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I need to find some good sours. It's the one place where my little downstairs store's beer selection falls flat. I tried a Deschutes sour when I was in Portland and it was amazing.

Lagunitas makes great non-IPA beers too. Little Sumpin' Sumpin' is outstanding.

kudos

<Banned>
I am a fan of hoppy IPA's. I dont go to much for the double or triples because to me they loose the flavor I like. I will have to try that Tug out though.
Last weekend I made a trip out to Lagunitas and this place.....IPA fans know where I am...

rrr_img_51890.jpg
Pliny the Younger releases soon I think.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yep, I believe end Jan or beginning of Feb. I wasn't aware of how rare Elder and Younger are with distribution outside of their brewery. Apparently its like "Gold" in brew pubs and liquor stores when it arrives. I enjoyed the Elder and Row 2 Hill 56.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Oh great, now I have to track down a bottle of Consecration, which will be extremely difficult in KY, because a 10% dark sour sounds fucking amazing.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I am very thankful that there are a few spots here that always have Pliny the Elder on tap. Never tried the Younger, but I've heard it's very difficult to get when it is available.

Yes, Duppin. Little Sumpin' Sumpin' is fantastic. And very fun to order.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I need to find some good sours. It's the one place where my little downstairs store's beer selection falls flat. I tried a Deschutes sour when I was in Portland and it was amazing.
Sours are incredibly hard to find in the US. It's just not a popular style and they are goddamn expensive (like $10 for a 12 ounce bottle here in CT). Tilquin makes a very very good one if you can find it.

As for hoppy beers. I used to hate them. Could not stand IPA's at all. I was always a stout/porter/amber/lager kind of guy. However, about 2 years ago I got so fed up that every bar had at least one "good" IPA on tap and almost never had anything decent outside of that area I forced myself to drink them until I acquired a taste.

Now I crave hops and IPAs more than any other style except for wheat beers. Hefes and Belgian whites are still my favorite.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Sours are incredibly hard to find in the US. It's just not a popular style and they are goddamn expensive (like $10 for a 12 ounce bottle here in CT).
Yep. $10 is cheap. Sours are typically $14-$22 for 12-16 ounces.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
where are you guys shopping? Every liquor store I go to has a decent selection of sour beers. Whole Foods even carries 4 or 5 varieties of sour beers.

usually $12-$15 for a 750ml which is like 25 oz. Still expensive I guess compared to your $7 six pack, but it's all relative.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
What kind of sours are you talking about? Real belgian sours? Typically called Geuze? I'll admit, everything is harder to find in CT. I'm guessing it has something to do with distribution laws in the state or taxes.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll have to look some up but I think most of them are from American brewers so probably not real belgian sours, but they occasionally have names that I wouldn't remember off the top of my head. I usually just ask the beer guy at my local liquor store for a recommendation and buy whatever he gives me
smile.png

Tea_sl

shitlord
I also don't have problem finding sours, and they aren't more than any other craft beers. I find Belgian sours tend towards pricey 750's, while American and Berliners tend to be average price in 6 packs. In the midwest a store with a decent stock should at least have Bell's Oarsman, which is a great just-drinking-some-brews beer.

Boulevard makes a few sours that are pretty easy to find as well. You probably don't even realize you're walking by sours, since they don't usually come out and say SOUR BEER HERE.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
All non-mainstream beers are overpriced as fuck at bars, at least around here. If it's not Fat Tire, Miller/Bud/Coors, or Sam Adams then I expect to pay a minimum of 7 bucks for a beer nowadays.