The Beer Thread

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I also don't have problem finding sours, and they aren't more than any other craft beers. I find Belgian sours tend towards pricey 750's, while American and Berliners tend to be average price in 6 packs. In the midwest a store with a decent stock should at least have Bell's Oarsman, which is a great just-drinking-some-brews beer.

Boulevard makes a few sours that are pretty easy to find as well. You probably don't even realize you're walking by sours, since they don't usually come out and say SOUR BEER HERE.
Oarsman (Bell's) and Saison-Brett (Boulevard) are just amazing. I really wish I could reliably find a good Berliner year-round. New Glarus made on and I'd have strongly considered moving to Wisconsin if it was made year-round.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You guys have no idea how much better you have it than I do for finding decent stuff. Connecticut has the worst distribution laws I can imagine. I can't get Bell's here (which is so, so sad) and I know what most sours are. Sours are one of my favorite styles. They just have little to no selection of true belgian sours here. Though that's about to change once the public house for the Zymatore project opens up in Oxford CT. A large portion of their offerings end up as sours because of the wine and gin barrels they use to age the beers.

Also... six packs of sours? Seriously? What breweries sell sours in six packs. That is something I have NEVER seen. And the sours I actually can get my hands are sure as shit way more expensive than normal beers. Tilquin (one of the best sours I've had) when I can find it will cost me $13 for a 12 oz bottle. One bottle.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
You guys have no idea how much better you have it than I do for finding decent stuff. Connecticut has the worst distribution laws I can imagine. I can't get Bell's here (which is so, so sad) and I know what most sours are. Sours are one of my favorite styles. They just have little to no selection of true belgian sours here. Though that's about to change once the public house for the Zymatore project opens up in Oxford CT. A large portion of their offerings end up as sours because of the wine and gin barrels they use to age the beers.

Also... six packs of sours? Seriously? What breweries sell sours in six packs. That is something I have NEVER seen. And the sours I actually can get my hands are sure as shit way more expensive than normal beers. Tilquin (one of the best sours I've had) when I can find it will cost me $13 for a 12 oz bottle. One bottle.
Oarsman is in a sixer. Though it's a Berliner, so it's not THAT sour or heartburn-inducing. New Glarus's was in a 4pk. I think Oarsman is like $8/6, NG's was $10/4. Though I did buy some Origins and L'brett from Crooked Stave for $12/375ml.

Tea_sl

shitlord
You'll also see sour farmhouse ales in packs pretty often. It's mostly a line between hardcore sours, ans session sours. Yeah lambics and American wilds are expensive. And I love them, but sour beer is a really broad ranging field.

Khane

You'll also see sour farmhouse ales in packs pretty often. It's mostly a line between hardcore sours, ans session sours. Yeah lambics and American wilds are expensive. And I love them, but sour beer is a really broad ranging field.
I'm talking traditional belgian sours (gueuze or flemish reds) styling here. It's not very broad ranging at all. The more sour it is, the more I like it.

That's not to say the beers your mentioning aren't sour or aren't good, I would probably like them if I could get my hands on them. It's just not what I was referring to.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Not as good as last years but still the tits if you can find it.
rrr_img_52958.jpg

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Picked up some Racer 5 from Bear Republic tonight along with my normal stash of Lagunitas...

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I don't know about that. I prefer Racer 5. I like the extra bitterness in Racer 5.

Khane

If you are a hophead you will like Racer 5 more. If you aren't you will prefer Lagunitas. The Lagunitas IPA is very mild.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I had my first Rochefort 10 in London a few years back. I really really liked it. Unfortunately it costs like 7.55 per bottle in Vancouver.
Yeah whatever category these beers fall under (not a beer connoisseur and never asked, I just always called them abbey beers) they are usually like $18 / 4 at our local stores. But it certainly isn't a Miller Lite or anything. One or two on a Friday night is relaxing enough at 11 - 12%

kudos

<Banned>
If you are a hophead you will like Racer 5 more. If you aren't you will prefer Lagunitas. The Lagunitas IPA is very mild.
No I think lagunitas is less bitter and more juicy. Racer 5 is a bitter bomb and that's it.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah whatever category these beers fall under (not a beer connoisseur and never asked, I just always called them abbey beers) they are usually like $18 / 4 at our local stores. But it certainly isn't a Miller Lite or anything. One or two on a Friday night is relaxing enough at 11 - 12%
I drank a Rochefort 10 and a 750ml bottle of Le Trappe Quad tonight.

I'm pretty drunk.