The Beer Thread

Ceythos_sl

shitlord
Whoa, they actually bottled Habenero Sculpin? I'm going to have to keep my eyes peeled since the last few times I'd had it at the brewery it wasn't available in growler fills.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I always go for a berliner weiss for the pool.
Picked up an 1809 today and can see what is going on here. Might grab a couple more for the weekend, but there really wasn't many options at one of the larger shops.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well we didn't make it to Cigar City for a brewery tour but I did buy a three six packs of different stuff... Jai Alai, Maduro, and Florida Cracker... all three were good but Florida Cracker was the most disappointing. I don't really think I like White Ales so that was probably part of the problem, but I can't complain because they were all delicious ice cold in the 90 degree weather on the beach.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Finally made the pilgrimage to Russian River. It was like beer Disneyland for me. PTE wasn't life changing but I understand why it is the gold standard of hoppy beers. Had sips or pints of about 6 of their beers total plus brought a growler of Blind Pig back to WA that I haven't broken into yet. Outside of PTE I was also very impressed with their sours.

What is amazing to me about that place is we got there about 15 minutes before opening because we had a big group and they wouldn't take reservations but recommended we get there early. By the time the doors opened there had to be 30 people outside waiting in line to get in. Someone asked if there was a special release that day or something. Nope, just your average weekday at RR.

I didn't know this till I had already ordered a couple of pints but they have a sampler flight where you get a 2oz pour of every beer they have on tap (18 of them).IfWhen I head back I am totally doing that.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I went to Russian River for the first time a couple weekends ago and I'm hooked. Already organizing another trip. We did the flight deal which was great. Excellent deal. Only $16. I too loved the sours. And the food is pretty damn good too.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I went to Russian River for the first time a couple weekends ago and I'm hooked. Already organizing another trip. We did the flight deal which was great. Excellent deal. Only $16. I too loved the sours. And the food is pretty damn good too.
You live closer then anyone i know on this board, and that was your first time?! GOOD GOD MAN!!!
My visit from last year,
rrr_img_69726.jpg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I don't have a car. It's not easy to make a trip up north without one. There's a campground only a couple miles away that we stayed at, but I'd like to get a hotel nearby and just drink away.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't have a car. It's not easy to make a trip up north without one. There's a campground only a couple miles away that we stayed at, but I'd like to get a hotel nearby and just drink away.
Gotcha, and I am sure that's a looooong bike ride.

CeNo65_sl

shitlord
HAWAII!??!?!?!

No really I'll be on Oahu, Maui and Kona for a few days each what should I hit up?

Already planned is Maui brewing, Kona brewing and big island brewhuas

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
One of the larger Liquor stores around me just opened up a growler station, today I think. This will be totally new to me so interested to see how it works and compares to just normal buying.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I went to a relatively newish spot here called Mikkeller Bar. It's the only location besides the one in Copenhagen. Damn, their IPA is delicious. And the saison was equally good. I'm sure not many here have been to the SF location, but has anyone been to the one in Copenhagen?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I went to a relatively newish spot here called Mikkeller Bar. It's the only location besides the one in Copenhagen. Damn, their IPA is delicious. And the saison was equally good. I'm sure not many here have been to the SF location, but has anyone been to the one in Copenhagen?
The beer can be good, but watch out for the beer geek breakfast. I've had some terrible bottles of that.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Is saison the new thing? I see that style everywhere anymore it seems.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I had that IPA recently at a brew pub, and it really was quite delicious.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mikkeller did some rare release of a limited edition beer at one of the uber ultra cocktail places in Chicago last year, the Aviary... and it was like $120 a ticket and you got 1 beer or something stupid like that to take home. Oh and it might have been signed by the brewer!!!

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Is saison the new thing? I see that style everywhere anymore it seems.
No it is a very old Belgian/French style. But yeah, it is a style that seems to be taking off. Anything labeled "Farmhouse" is also usually a saison as well. The style was originally brewed for farm workers in those regions.

When an ale is fermented too warm the yeast will put out a lot of esters which add a lot of fruity flavors (I think they are usually closer to rotten fruit) to a beer that are generally undesirable. Saison yeast strains, however, have been specifically cultivated over generations to produce delicious tasting esters along with some other characteristics. So basically what IPA's are to hop flavors, saisons are to yeast-driven flavors.

I think the style is doing well as an IPA alternative because they are still big flavor character beers but are lighter-bodied than your typical malty beer making them more drinkable year round.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've been a fan of saisons for a couple years. They do seem to be more readily available than they were then. I don't consider that a bad thing. I think sour beers are starting to take off too. People are all about the in-your-face flavor profiles.