The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You can watch your Sony UD blu Ray's on your Sony Tv through the Xbox S LOL.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Gotta be honest here - if console 'refreshes' are going to become the norm then I'm done buying consoles. I finally have a beastly PC and barely play my PS4 as is, but I've always been a die-hard Sony fan that buys consoles day 1. However, I have absolutely 0 interest in refreshing the console every few years for upgrades.. that's why I bought a PC... I bought a console for a machine that will play games for X years without touching it.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Gotta be honest here - if console 'refreshes' are going to become the norm then I'm done buying consoles. I finally have a beastly PC and barely play my PS4 as is, but I've always been a die-hard Sony fan that buys consoles day 1. However, I have absolutely 0 interest in refreshing the console every few years for upgrades.. that's why I bought a PC... I bought a console for a machine that will play games for X years without touching it.

No way you'll pass up Bloodborne 2 on the PS5.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
More power for the same $$$ doesn't seem bad to me if you don't have a PS4 already. Won't be making the upgrade myself as it doesn't offer enough to go that way.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Remember that if you sit more than 7 feet away from a 55 inches screen, 4k is indistinguishable from 1080p. To get the full benefit of 4k you need to be 3 feet away from your 55 inches screen...

On a side note, I have an increasingly difficult time seeing the value of increased graphic power for video games. At this point it feels like the limit is much more the cost of asset generation and art quality in modeling, texture and animation than actual computational power.

I guess you can argue it's important for VR, but I have never heard less about VR than since the Occulus and Vive came out!

Have you ever seen a 4K and 1080P screen side by side while sitting at about that distance? If you really think you can't tell the difference, you might want to get your vision checked.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Yeah, the difference is pretty significant imo. Our couch is about 8-9 feet from the TV and have the 65" Samsung and it's a pretty noticeable. I got a super good deal or I wouldn't have purchased it as the main thing I watch (sports) isn't affected by the increase.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah, the difference is pretty significant imo. Our couch is about 8-9 feet from the TV and have the 65" Samsung and it's a pretty noticeable. I got a super good deal or I wouldn't have purchased it as the main thing I watch (sports) isn't affected by the increase.

Yep I think I got the same TV as you. Tempted
to get the Xbox S to watch my blu Rays I brought back from China for $2 a pop. Watching spiders eat flys in UHD 4K for days thanks to BBC earth.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I own a pretty good ROG asus laptop with a XBox elite controller and wireless dongle. I will pass on Scorpio.

I will probably get a PS4 Pro eventually or if Ebgames(gamestop) have a good deal returning the old PS4.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
PS4 is still the better buy for exclusives, as little as they may be. Microsoft wont be bringing anything I can't just play on my PC anymore.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Have you ever seen a 4K and 1080P screen side by side while sitting at about that distance? If you really think you can't tell the difference, you might want to get your vision checked.
I can only assume that the people who came up with that nonsense are the same ones who argue that there's no difference between 30 fps and 60 fps (or 120/144 fps), or that games should be 24 fps to be "cinematic". IIRC there were people making the same claims about 720p vs. 1080p many years ago too.

With those I expect 4k 30-45 FPS and full 1080p 60 FPS.
1080p60 should be doable if they stick to the equivalent of PC medium settings, maybe a couple things on high, for most games. Pretty sure you can forget the "-45" part on 4K though. The vast majority of games will only use the scaler to output 4K anyway, which may or may not even be better than the scaler in your TV.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
While the current PS4's are all on fire sales at $299 to clear em out, I wouldn't grab em yet. New PS4 slim bundles coming soon including uc4 and nhl17 bundles, I'm sure we'll see a bunch more pop out soon.

28921216843_ace6007d0e_z.jpg

Uncharted 4 PlayStation 4 Bundle: Launching September 15

Console wars I think are about to get way too messy and convoluted for devs to keep up. They are barely able to push out their games in a releasable state, and require day 0 patches and sometimes weeks or months before the game is right. PC ports are 50/50 on whether they work or are just totally fucked. I can't see anything good coming out of devs having to optimize and QA for HDR, 1080p PS4Pro, 4k PS4PRo, Xbone One, Xbox Scorpio, etc during their final 3-4 week crunch period. Hell, half of them currently just hand off the PC port to another company.

I think in a year or two we'll see a massive backlash against the mobile phone model trend that Sony and Microsoft want to move towards as studios just ignore the various configs and people get pissed that hardly any games actually do anything different.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Technology is moving so quickly that they can not refuse the mobile phone cycle, to the detriment of our pocketbook.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Technology is moving so quickly that they can not refuse the mobile phone cycle, to the detriment of our pocketbook.
This really isn't true. Phone tech was far exceeding Moore's Law for a while, but even that has slowed down. PC/console tech has been failing to hit the 2 year mark for quite a while now.

There's a simple solution too: don't buy into their bullshit. I'm keeping my plain old PS4, still not buying an Xbone at all, and I upgrade my PC at most every 3 cycles.

spronk

FPS noob
i'm a giant faggot who loves to buy new stupid shit so I'll definitely be on the "i bought a ps4 pro and i have no fucking idea why" page

cheaper than a mistress or fucking hookers like j49

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'll trade in my PS4 for a pro of there is a good trade deal somewhere just so Spronk and I can be superior Pro Bros.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
PS4 Neo is running The Last of Us Remaster at 4k 30fps natively. Yeah last gen, whatever, it's still a good looking title. For other titles they're using some checkerboard technique to hit 4k so that they'll be pushing out 1800p or something and upscaling from there, from all reports it looks quite a bit better than 1080p.

I have a 1080p projector and refuse to downsize to get a 4k tv. 4k projectors aren't quite there yet but eventually they will be and I'll upgrade. (affordable or quality wise)

At 1080p the Pro will provide better framerates and/or more eyecandy. The "new" Tomb Raider will offer options to put on all eye candy at 30fps or allow you to maximize frame rate.

My PC is in my office and I really don't care to build another gaming PC just to use with my projector so the PS4 is my go to for most games these days. Sitting on my couch with a giant fucking screen and a controller just suits me.

Yeah, it's hugely retarded not to have a 4k blu ray player built in, but I don't give a fuck as I won't be getting a 4k tv any time soon.

The Scorpio? Sounds interesting, too bad it's over a year away still.

• 1Like