The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Just gonna have to disagree. I've played the Uncharted series on ps3 and ps4 many times on several difficulties including Crushing for all of them. (have also played the TR reboot multiple times on several platforms) I enjoy this style of game and to me when I hear people calling Uncharted 2 and beyond's combat bad I think they must just not be very good at it or they just never approached it as anything other than a straight cover shooter.

What exploration is there in TR? The forest area? It's basically a box. The beach? Eh maybe, there is a bit of exploring you could do there I suppose. The tombs? heh no.

Shit is linear as fuck. (not that Uncharted isn't, that's the type of directed games these are and one reason they're nothing like Horizon)

TR is easier, I'll give you that?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
What I disliked about uncharted combat mostly is there is no character progression. You are pretty much the same at the end of the game as the beginning, you don't really gain new skills or become more powerful in any meaningful way. Its just an aspect of games that I enjoy that was missing from the uncharted series

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Just gonna have to disagree. I've played the Uncharted series on ps3 and ps4 many times on several difficulties including Crushing for all of them. (have also played the TR reboot multiple times on several platforms) I enjoy this style of game and to me when I hear people calling Uncharted 2 and beyond's combat bad I think they must just not be very good at it or they just never approached it as anything other than a straight cover shooter.

What exploration is there in TR? The forest area? It's basically a box. The beach? Eh maybe, there is a bit of exploring you could do there I suppose. The tombs? heh no.

Shit is linear as fuck. (not that Uncharted isn't, that's the type of directed games these are and one reason they're nothing like Horizon)

TR is easier, I'll give you that?

Dude, there are huge open maps in TR, where you can go anywhere and find all sorts of places that are completely missable. It's not exactly a completely open world game but it's far less linear than uncharted which is about as on the rails as you can get. And, yes, the tombs are vastly superior exploration compared to the glowing light artifact hunt in Uncharted. There is also upgrading your kit and crafting, which is better than the nothing in Uncharted.

And I don't think Uncharteds gameplay is bad, just not anything to write home about. Without the story Uncharted would be an average series at best, while TR holds up even with a subpar storyline. If you took Naughty Dog storytelling and set pieces and gave them the more open area TR treatment and character advancement you'd have a near perfect formula.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
But hey, if you're into poorly built games with input lag ROTR might be your bag! At least they fixed in on PS4!

Never had an input lag issue with my XB1 version - not that there weren't solutions from what I recall with Untayan's rants on how annoying it was. It did sound awful if it effected you, but I got to be one of the lucky ones that didn't experience it.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
So much of gameplay is about your preferred style - I loved the pacing of the first two Dead Space games, not so much the third. I remember several complaining about the clunky feel of gameplay, but it was never meant to be a Doom/Unreal run/jump/180 spin headshot game. It was perfect IMO for what it was, survival horror. Same with The Last of Us, I loved the story and the gameplay, but I get why some didn't care for it. My son loved Horizon:Zero Dawn for the gameplay but did not like TLoU (yes, I've failed him) because he can't just run and gun with his FPS skills. I don't let him play Bloodborne for this very reason - he'd go into an apoplectic fit.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't think UC1-3 have anything, at all, on the rehabilitated TR series except story and writing, and since story and writing are not particularly good in UC (again, haven't played 4) I can't assign them much weight. Feel free (Daezuel) by all means to cling to your ad hominems and motiveless belligerence, but I'm confident you'll eventually begin to suspect that your opinions on a fucking video game aren't more valid than somebody else's. And for the record, I can't be accused of being a ME:A apologist - I didn't buy that shit.

• 1Salty
  • 1Smuggly
  • 1SJW
Reactions: 2 users

Vaclav

None of them are like H:ZD, though, so I don't see those comparisons at all.

Shrug, to me HZ:D felt almost 100% like Far Cry mashed up with TR. Besides the "tearing" and specific targeting mechanics within fights - that was relatively unique for these style of games. Not too much I've played recently where it's used as a common thing, rather than a gimmick in a few fights only.

Far Cry: World map, towns, minor questlines mostly, some "minigame" stuff, crafting system, leveling.
TR: Stealth preferred but not required, crafting system, climbing/roping gameplay, bowing (obv), some light puzzling in the tombs/cauldrons.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Ad hominems and motiveless belligerence and then your post is what exactly? A throw away line with zero substance about your opinion on UC 1-3 and TR?

Gtfo faggot. How's that for motivated belligerence?

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Vaclav

Ad hominems and motiveless belligerence and then your post is what exactly? A throw away line with zero substance about your opinion on UC 1-3 and TR?

Gtfo faggot. How's that for motivated belligerence?

It sounds to me like someone needs a hug.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I'm sorry bros, I didn't mean to get all motiveless on you guys. It's just hard to take someone's opinion seriously when they think a 1st person shooter like Wolfenstein The New Order is somehow a cover shooter similar to the 3rd person games we're discussing.

Vaclav

I'm sorry bros, I didn't mean to get all motiveless on you guys. It's just hard to take someone's opinion seriously when they think a 1st person shooter like Wolfenstein The New Order is somehow a cover shooter similar to the 3rd person games we're discussing.

I wasn't trying to claim it was THAT similar - I was stating a recent shooter that I enjoyed that used some light cover mechanics. I'm not going to debate the nuance of shooters though, frankly, I don't particularly like too many shooters so I'm relatively poorly versed on them. Doom 2 was the last time I played one for any serious portion of my gaming.

If you had less of a bug up your ass, I'm pretty sure you would've seen that - rather than going 100% troll mode.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
The "bug up my ass" is I disagreed with your position on TR vs Uncharted. (plus your comments in the Mass Effect thread.) I sensed a pattern forming from your opinions. So I stated as much.

Then you tried to defend your position by including a few games that aren't really anything like the 2 games being discussed. I'll say again, it's hard to take an opinion seriously when someone thinks a 1st person and 3rd person shooter is the same style of game.

No, Uncharted is a pale comparison IMO - at least gameplay wise. Uncharted I could never play all the way through because I really don't go for dull shooters.

Someone was asking for a comparison of the Tomb Raider games and Uncharted and you gave bad advice. It's a message board, I decided to at least give some context to your "review."

Vaclav

Someone was asking for a comparison of the Tomb Raider games and Uncharted and you gave bad advice. It's a message board, I decided to at least give some context to your "review."

For being "bad advice" it seems to be getting mirrored by others - with their own variants of phrasing the same thing as me. "Storyline/cutscene" stuff that you could experience via a "Let's Play" series of videos is top notch - actual gameplay elements are lacking.

I wasn't stating it as unadulterated fact - thus why I put IMO in there - that my OPINION was that it was a dull shooter. Mechanically I didn't find the game engaging enough to keep plowing onward with it. Which I even clarified later when you started getting upset to possibly be partially to blame on it being a cover shooter, since I've really not found myself enthralled with a REAL cover shooter yet. (Wolf was the best fit I've enjoyed: But as you stated, it's not a close fit)

I don't think I could be fairer with my phrasing, but if there was room to express my opinion less "caustically", I apologize. I wasn't trying to claim anyone was incorrect for liking Uncharted, just that it didn't resonate for ME - and that it was a completely different game than TR besides being that both would probably get thrown under a "Indiana Jones" header for their general theme.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Mirrored by a couple people on a message board. The storyline/cutscene stuff in Uncharted, I mean, I don't even get what you're getting at here. You think THAT is why Uncharted 2 has a 96 metacritic and an 8.8 user score? It's definitely the fucking set pieces and GAMEPLAY that makes Uncharted 2 brilliant.

There would be no fucking Tomb Raider reboot without Uncharted.

It's also one thing to say you preferred the combat in the Tomb Raider reboot, but quite another to say the entire Uncharted series has dull combat. Now mind you, I LIKE Tomb Raider, I've beaten the 2013 game 3 times. It's certainly a good and fun game. I'm taking issue with the dull combat not worth playing horseshit about the Uncharted series.

I realize there are plenty of people out there that prefer the gameplay in Tomb Raider, but there are also plenty of people that prefer Uncharted, and then there are many many people that like *gasp* BOTH.

I think if you've played the TR reboot and enjoyed it it's a safe assumption you'd enjoy the Uncharted series if you start it with Uncharted 2.

(I eagerly await Dr. Spooge's next garbage one liner)

spronk

FPS noob
the thing i like most about both TR and uncharted is exploring ancient areas, in full wonder at the glory of humanity and what we have achieved over thousands of years, and then murdering hundreds of guards who are just doing their job

i hope everyone can at least agree the side characters in uncharted are way better - sully, elena, chloe, statham, etc. all you got in tomb raider is a fat black dude who lara has friend zoned harder than Ser Jorah

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Vaclav

Perhaps - I've not given any besides UC4 a try post-Tomb Raider. But when I'd tried 2/3 pre-TR they just never quite hit the spot.

And story without gameplay absolutely does influence stuff like Metacritic FYI - maybe not as a universal rule - but The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series with what I'd consider ZERO gameplay has nearly the same scores (94/8.8).

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
There isn't really anything special about Uncharted 2's story. 4 obviously came in a post "The Last of Us" world and was probably story heavy because of it imo. The pacing in that game is off for me. I still enjoyed it, but I can't put it up there with Uncharted 2.

If you really like TR, I'd absolutely give Uncharted 2 another go on the PS4. If you don't like the gameplay on the hardest difficulty you can lower it to get more of a run and gun type feel. There are multiple ways to beat most levels really.

Last edited: