The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Quaid

Trump's Staff
No, Uncharted is a pale comparison IMO - at least gameplay wise. Uncharted I could never play all the way through because I really don't go for dull shooters.

RotR I'd compare to Horizon (or LotU) for how fun the play is, Uncharted was less fun than Doom.

Yeah, I watched some Uncharted streams after the comments in this thread. It's not for me.

Almost definitely gonna grab Horizon and Tomb Raider 1 though.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Watching streams of a game and playing it are totally different. Uncharted is in no way a dull shooter unless you play on the easiest difficulty.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Watching streams of a game and playing it are totally different. Uncharted is in no way a dull shooter unless you play on the easiest difficulty.

It's not that I think it looks dull. Some of the set pieces/level design look just wonderful. I just don't like the look of the combat and the setting/themes/character types don't appeal to me.

I liked RotTR for the bow combat, the supernatural elements, and the gameplay variation (stealth, puzzling, combat). Uncharted doesn't seem to have those things in significant enough amounts.

I generally don't care about 'character development' in video games because even when it's good it tends to be mediocre.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's not that I think it looks dull. Some of the set pieces/level design look just wonderful. I just don't like the look of the combat and the setting/themes/character types don't appeal to me.

I liked RotTR for the bow combat, the supernatural elements, and the gameplay variation (stealth, puzzling, combat). Uncharted doesn't seem to have those things in significant enough amounts.

I generally don't care about 'character development' in video games because even when it's good it tends to be mediocre.

To be fair, there is a supernatural element to Uncharted games as well - just buried a tad later than TR. But I would agree, the quantity is "scratching the surface" level compared to TR. (Which didn't even have a fuckton itself - think it was close to a sweet spot for how much though, personally)

• 1Like

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Well speak of the devil!

Wonder if that means it's gonna be a PSPlus freebie soon.

• 1Like

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Yeah, under $10 is my trigger point for almost any game I'm even mildly interested in.

Kinda surprised Horizon hasn't seen a 20% off sale yet. Hopefully next month.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, under $10 is my trigger point for almost any game I'm even mildly interested in.

Kinda surprised Horizon hasn't seen a 20% off sale yet. Hopefully next month.

Yeah, I am guessing because it is still selling so well.

I bought it for 20% off though with Gamers Club BB, and almost felt guily about not paying full price it was so good. But, then I realized the publisher/developer sees the same amount of money and it's BB that loses so then all was right.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I'd say the first 2 Uncharted's probably have more supernatural stuff than the others actually.

They did improve the floatiness of the combat of the first Uncharted with the remaster though it still suffers from it. Personally love the game myself though.

There are puzzles a plenty in all the Uncharted games and you can use stealth to defeat enemies if you're careful in most of the series. (The first Uncharted is missing a lot of the combat mechanics from 2 onwards though so you can't do much in that one. Crushing in that game can be ball busting because of the design at times, I wouldn't recommend that difficulty)

$8 for the 1080p 60fps remasters for one of the greatest gaming series is a serious no brainer. Makes a huge difference in the combat from the ps3 versions too imo.

(I mean, play through Uncharted 2 if anything and if you still hate it then come back here and tear me a new one I guess)

• 2Like

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
There isn't really anything special about Uncharted 2's story. 4 obviously came in a post "The Last of Us" world and was probably story heavy because of it imo. The pacing in that game is off for me. I still enjoyed it, but I can't put it up there with Uncharted 2.

If you really like TR, I'd absolutely give Uncharted 2 another go on the PS4. If you don't like the gameplay on the hardest difficulty you can lower it to get more of a run and gun type feel. There are multiple ways to beat most levels really.

That's interesting, because for me, Uncharted 2 was the first game I remember caring about the story in a long time. The opening sequence escaping from the train on the icy cliffside was groundbreaking for it's day. The relationship between Elena and Nathan was very realistic, and I thought the ending to UC2, especially how it relates to the 2 of them, was perfect. I liked UC2 so much that I went out after I finished and bought UC1 to just get more of the back-story, learning about Sully, and after that the entire UC series became a must-buy for me. I purchased UC3 and UC4 day of release.

UC4 was a bit of a let-down only because at this point, the game play has been done to death. What was once revolutionary became repetitive. I remember in UC2 being genuinely scared/surprised when a ledge I was holding gave way, like I was concerned Nathan might drop to his death (like in the opening train sequence). By UC3 and for sure by UC4, everytime a ledge started to "break", I knew there was nothing to be concerned about, so the tension while playing was no longer there.

But the Uncharted franchise paved the way for these type of story-driven, episodic action-sequence, running-gunning type of games. Of course newer games have done it better, because they already had the blueprint mapped out for them. The Far Cry series, Horizon New Dawn, the new Tomb Raiders....they all owe a debt to Uncharted. Same with my favorite game, The Last of Us, which Naughty Dog obviously took what they learned from Uncharted and applied to it. It becomes less about playing a game and more about being immersed in a newly created world where you care about the protagonist, whether that is Nathan Drake, Joel and Ellie, Lara Croft, or Aloy.

• 2Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Well, I'd say the writing and the characters are great, the story itself? Eh, just mostly an excuse to kill mercenaries. It's not bad or anything, but nothing to write home about as would be the case for The Last of Us where the story really is the star.

I love the cast to death for sure and the way they framed the entire experience.

Uncharted 2 is still probably my favorite single player game of all time because I had just never experienced anything up to that level of amazing before. (though Horizon is certainly knocking on that door)

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
TLoU is $8 too, if you have a PS4 and haven't played it you really should.

They have a bunch of older games that I remember playing over a decade ago. PaRappa the Rapper, Dark cloud, Wild Arms (though I don't think I've played 3)