The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Cor_sl

shitlord
You know, this is pretty much exactly what I was saying, right? I didn't say that no one would port SteamOS games, just that it would be a process and that every single thing would not be on thereimmediatelywhen it comes out. Eventually, if it's successful, it'll probably get a majority of the ports, but not everyone is going to immediately start making SteamOS SKUs of their game on Day One.
No, you constantly talk in absolutes, as in, "this is the way things are and this is the way they will be". It's really irritating. Had you actually said that in the first place, instead of something like "SteamOS is never going to get any ports", I would have agreed with you, but you didn't.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Not surprising since nVidia is heavily invested in Android in the mobile space.

Edit: More to the point, SteamOS is going to have some major issues when it ships. Namely that the PS4 and Xbone will both have more feature complete OSs that'll let me use things like Netflix, Crunchyroll, and Amazon Instant Video out of the box. Whereas, IIRC, SteamOS won't support any of that when it's released. So SteamOS supports games, that's... Ok I guess? Yes, SteamOS will get streaming apps, etc. but it will take quite a bit of time for that to happen.
SteamOS is basically pre-configured Linux. Netflix works under Linux (through something called Pipelight). Amazon allows streaming films to Linux since 2011 AFAIK

Sean_sl

shitlord
No, you constantly talk in absolutes, as in, "this is the way things are and this is the way they will be". It's really irritating. Had you actually said that in the first place, instead of something like "SteamOS is never going to get any ports", I would have agreed with you, but you didn't.
I never once said "SteamOS is never going to get any ports" you pretentious fuckwad. Not god damn once, I never eveninferredit. Your reading comprehension is atrocious. You're the one who is irritating as shit and proclaims far more "absolutes" than I do.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Where did Sean say anything close to "SteamOS is never going to get any ports" ?

Cor_sl

shitlord
I never once said "SteamOS is never going to get any ports" you pretentious fuckwad. Not god damn once, I never eveninferredit. Your reading comprehension is atrocious. You're the one who is irritating as shit and proclaims far more "absolutes" than I do.
Where did Sean say anything close to "SteamOS is never going to get any ports" ?
I was under the impression you said something to that effect a few days ago. If you didn't, then I must have mistook you for someone else, in which case I apologise.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
How do manual updates work, assuming they put the link back up at some point? Download it onto a flash drive, stick that into the PS4, and it installs from the local file?

I'll be away on release day, but I could remote into my home computer and download the update so that it's ready when I get back... it's only 300MB so that wouldn't take too long anyway, but might as well speed things up a little.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Sean said valve would have a hard tine convincing everyone ti make another sku. Now lets get back on topic. Enough of these sean derails and tuco earning his tax deduction.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I was under the impression you said something to that effect a few days ago. If you didn't, then I must have mistook you for someone else, in which case I apologise.
I did not and would not say something so outlandish. Everything I have said regarding that is an inference that it will take probably take time to get everyone on board with doing the ports and that Ihopedthat the PS4 being so similar to SteamOS and the Steamboxes wouldacceleratethe process. I was actually being optimistic about it if anything.

I also rarelymeanto talk in absolutes andpurposelyoften use words like "probably", "possibly", reportedly", "supposedly", etc quite a bit unless I am being lazy or get caught up in the moment. The only thing I've been really adamant on is that the PS4 will outsell the Xbone, which is highly likely given the logistics of the situation.

Sean_sl

shitlord
How do manual updates work, assuming they put the link back up at some point? Download it onto a flash drive, stick that into the PS4, and it installs from the local file?

I'll be away on release day, but I could remote into my home computer and download the update so that it's ready when I get back... it's only 300MB so that wouldn't take too long anyway, but might as well speed things up a little.
Ithinkthat you basically have to boot the PS4 into safemode and it has a firmware update thing there. It should be pretty much identical to doing safemode updates on the PS3 in that regard. It involves holding down the power button and something and it should be pretty easy.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
What I am going to laugh at is when all publishers and developers use SteamOS for their platform to develop on because it will destroy all other software OS platforms. And once that happens, companies either follow suit as publishers will control the hardware (This is coming as we speak as they learn how much power they have over the console manufacturers) and integrate SteamOS into their machines, or they will fall off the console market.

It isn't going to happen tomorrow, but I guarantee you it will happen within 5-7 years. All devices, running the same OS, developed for because it is easy and markets to EVERYTHING. And if those hardware manufacturers stay on their island, it won't be self sufficient. Only in house 1st party will design for it. The rest will be designing Assassin's Creed 6 with ONE development team, no other outside 3rd party port developers, and will hit 90% of the devices in a house paying a fraction of a license fee they pay today to Microsoft and Sony.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Can't you just choose to update off of USB on PS3 in the 'update' menu? Or am I thinking of 360?

Sean_sl

shitlord
Can't you just choose to update off of USB on PS3 in the 'update' menu? Or am I thinking of 360?
Pretty sure you can on the PS3, but I think someone who opened up one of the PS4s early said you can't for some reason on the 1.0 OS? I don't exactly remember where I saw it. It's possible they were wrong and you can do an update while in the normal menu.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Oh, no, I actually saw it on the official FAQ!http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...north-america/

Will I be able to install system software update 1.50 via a USB drive?

Yes, you will be able to download the firmware to your PC and transfer it to PS4 using a USB memory stick. However, to use the USB method the first time you take PS4 out of the box and before installing system software update 1.50, you'll need to enable safe mode. When PS4 is powered off, press and hold the Power Button for seven seconds to enter safe mode. Note: Users should only update using official files downloaded from PlayStation.com.
Also it should be on this page once they have it officially ready, I think:http://us.playstation.com/support/sy...ates/index.htm

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Sean said valve would have a hard tine convincing everyone ti make another sku. Now lets get back on topic. Enough of these sean derails and tuco earning his tax deduction.
We've had this argument before it seems like a chicken and an egg problem to me. The SteamBox needs games to attract people to it and needs people to attract games to it. I think making the right choices for an attract platform, spending the money and effort required to attract developers and being in it for the long haul will enable valve to make the steambox successful, just it'll take several years before we start seeing a lot of PC + Steambox + PS4 cross platform games.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Valve's got the cash and the vision to make it happen I dunno what there's even to argue about in this situation. Maybe if this was 2004 and they were just launching Steam and launching Steam OS and Steam box next to it, skepticism would be warranted, but this is 2013 almost 14 and Valve is one of the most profitable corporations on the planet with an installed user base in the multiple tens of millions.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
We've had this argument before it seems like a chicken and an egg problem to me. The SteamBox needs games to attract people to it and needs people to attract games to it. I think making the right choices for an attract platform, spending the money and effort required to attract developers and being in it for the long haul will enable valve to make the steambox successful, just it'll take several years before we start seeing a lot of PC + Steambox + PS4 cross platform games.
I think most of you are missing the point imo. People love consoles for ease of use and games. I think Valve is trying to get a hardware standard where you can use it much like you use a console. Turn it on and play. Many people don't like Pc gaming because it can be a huge pain in the ass with drivers and conflicts and not even knowing how good it will play.

If valve can make a living room pc that is as easy to use as a console then I think it will be hugely successful. That is the key to the success. Everyone here has to be reminded that we are in the minority. Could you Imagine the typical COD player going through video or sound options on a PC? WTF is ambient inclusion??? AA...huh?

For most of us though I don't think the Steambox really is being marketed towards us.

Back on topic. Anyone getting the PS4 Eye? I'm thinking of picking it up as a fun family toy but I'm afraid the thing will be used for a month then forgotten about. Anyone got any good info on future uses etc?