The Documentary Thread

iannis

Musty Nester
You would think when your top player is a fucking drunk lush you might consider your game to be not as great as you think it is.
You take that back about Babe Ruth.

I see it the other way. If they drunk fucker is beating everyone on a game which you would THINK is dictated 100% by reaction times and manual dexterity something very very interesting is going on with the game.

Column_sl

shitlord
Just got through Jodorowsky's Dune

Just to preface this I think Jodorowsky is a very passionate, and visionary artist. As a film maker, and writer all his works are a disjointed mess.
Read Metabarons, the Incal, and seen his films.

His biggest contribution was putting out ideas for better artists to use in better films.

So even with that amazing group of people including Pink Floyd I'm glad that movie never happened because it would have been shit imo.
He's just to out there for the subject matter which is a large hollywood production. It would have just been a series of Daliesque scenes with no ground for the audience.

I would like to see that movie translated to traditional animation much like fantastic planet, and Heavy Metal.
The Documentary was alright I guess, but it wasn't that enjoyable.

I still love David Lynch's Dune to this day. I never watched the chopped up Cinematic version, but the directors cut is still one of my favorite films.
It was just so dark ,and sinister, and for the first time for myself I felt like there was no clear cut good or evil.

I've watched the film 100's of times, and have bought it on every available format.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Rewind This

Doc about VHs industry/movies. Wasn't stellar, but still interesting, and if you grew up with VHS, will definitely bring out the nostalgia. They cover several facets of the VHS era and video rentals, marketing, recorded on VHS movies, first VHS anime and other genres, etc...

Downloading Frankenhooker as we speak.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Just watched "Jiro Dreams of Sushi"; great documentary. Made me crave some sushi pretty hardcore; alas, I'm in North Dakota, not a sushi restaurant in sight.

I was just in Tokyo in December, too. I wish I had known about this place, I would have made a reservation!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Milius

About screenwriter/director John Milius of Apocalypse Now and Conan fame. Not bad.

kidgamer_sl

shitlord
Life Itself (2014)

This documentary film recounts the inspiring and entertaining life of world-renowned film critic and social commentatorRoger Ebert- a story that is by turns personal, funny, painful, and transcendent. Based on his bestselling memoir of the same name, LIFE ITSELF explores the legacy of Roger Ebert's life, from his Pulitzer Prize-winning film criticism at the Chicago Sun-Times, his radioactive relationship with fellow critic Gene Siskel, to becoming one of the most influential cultural voices in America.

Best documentary I've watched in a long time. Available on most movie streaming sites now.
Rotten Tomatoes 96%

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Just watched "Jiro Dreams of Sushi"; great documentary. Made me crave some sushi pretty hardcore; alas, I'm in North Dakota, not a sushi restaurant in sight.

I was just in Tokyo in December, too. I wish I had known about this place, I would have made a reservation!
Jiro Dreams of Sushi is one of my favorite documentaries of all time. The whole pacing builds upon the 10,000 hours to become a master theory and really sets it up for the viewer thinking that he's viewing Jiro recreate those moments and watching his sons step into their own 10,000 hours. This and Beware Mr. Baker and Cropsey are really good examples of a documentary that crosses over into having the story become enough of a narrative in itself where you can momentarily forget that they are just documenting a story and not writing it. I'm in the desert and we have some sushi but nothing like they showed so I got the craving as well.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm headed back to Japan in September and I want to go to Jiro while I'm there. But $250+ per person is kind of steep. Maybe next visit.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
HBO documentary Valentine Road

its about a gay/trans teen that was shot in the back of the head... twice by some white boy. i don't care about lbgt rights or whatever, thats they're own battles to fight, i'm not against them either. but as the documentary goes along, you really really really start to hate the people that back up the white kid. yes, there is a whole support group for the white kid killer, everyone is feeling bad about how he'll get life in prison, ppl cannot believe that he'll never leave jail b/c he'll be trialed as an adult. he gets a pro bono defense team. his former junkie mom is so sad he's going to prison, his brother can't believe he won't experience all these life experiences, cuz this fucker shot a kid in the back of the head, TWICE, cuz the first time, he wasn't dying fast enough, shot him the second time while he was standing, not on the floor. then you start to hate the jurors, the fucking jurors are human waste and go all emo about how they can't see this great kid(the killer) goto jail. and for some reason they can't prove its a hate crime, they can't prove that a white male teen shooting a gay/black(mix) kid in the back of the head is a hate crime.

i really did not care about the limited support that the victim got, they did the interviews with crying kids, and closet gays, yada yada. nope, it was as the documentary was slowing showing you how much of a support system the killer had that really gets to you.

seriously, you really want to stab the jurors by the end of the documentary.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I hadn't seen this documentary, so I can't comment on it. Nor do I even remember the story of a white kid executing a black trans kid with 2 shots to the head.

That said, this story probably does fall under a "hate crime" more so than a racial one. I really don't like all of the reverse racism going on in America right now. White on black is instant hate crime or racist. Black on white is.. "well, that's just what they do." It's pathetic.

You can read up on a situation about the radio personality Anthony Cumia being fired from Sirius/XM radio because he turned to twitter to vent about a black woman attacking him in the street after he took a picture in times square that she was in. He is one of the few NYC residents that is a legal gun owner with a conceal carry permit, and he ALWAYS carries. He never felt his life was in danger while she punched him in the face 10 times, so he didn't draw his weapon. Instead he went to twitter calling her a savage and an animal, saying that the pension towards violence is astounding.

Anyway, he got fired for racial remarks after he himself was physically attacked by a woman and his retaliation to the event was speaking his mind on twitter. There's a lot of drama going on about this.

Shit, what was does that even have to do with the documentary you saw?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i don't know, except this opie/anthony guy was dumb enough to BE a personality/celebrity and rant on twitter.

i guess you were going for the reverse racism angle? eh white ppl

but the documentary does touch on reverse bullying, in the end the jurors believed that this shy, tiny (he was so tiny that a teacher/principal gave him her daughters dress and he said it was roomy, her daughter is a double zero) trans black boy was bullying this white kid.

even tho the white kid was drawing swatiskas in his books, oh and double lightning bolts.

ok maybe he likes to doodle.

do you need to doole with vol1 of the SS

maybe not? but how about vol2, he carried around vol1 and 2 in his bag. wtf!

oh not to mention his brother took him to see the white power leader in the neighborhood, cuz you know, brothers looking out?

nope, not a hate crime

spronk

FPS noob
Instead he went to twitter calling her a savage and an animal, saying that the pension towards violence is astounding.
penchant for violence, not pension

and fuck anthony he was tweeting pictures of "ugly/sexy" people, if you are gonna be an asshole don't be surprised when people beat the shit out of you. If he was in Texas or Florida he coulda applied castle/stand your ground but not in New York

khorum

Murder Apologist
I'm headed back to Japan in September and I want to go to Jiro while I'm there. But $250+ per person is kind of steep. Maybe next visit.
Price isn't the biggest hurdle, it's the waiting list. Pretty much the same thing with michelin-starred tasting menus anywhere.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've heard dinner at Jiro's place is also incredibly short, like under an hour... and they can be very pushy about getting you in and out. Can't remember where I read that article, it might have been after Obama went there when he visited Japan earlier this year.

I don't know, for that kind of money sushi doesn't seem worth it... especially in Japan.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Lol yeah that's a whole trollthread in the making: foodies pay insane cash and wait months to sit for a few courses at Michelin starred places. Do they go for the food or the exclusivity? Google up the dishes at Brooklyn fare or alinea and Noma.

Actually there's a couple docs out there about it... One about el bulli (closed now but it used to be the best rated restaurant in the world) another about Noma (the reigning best restaurant as of its filming) and spinning plates a doc about grant achatz' alinea and a couple other restaurants.

EDIT: relevant trailers, dunno if repost

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Actually there's a couple docs out there about it... One about el bulli (closed now but it used to be the best rated restaurant in the world)
There were a few episodes of No Reservations about this place. It looked INCREDIBLE. I really wish I could afford to go to some of these places, just because the food looks so damn interesting/delicious. It's nice having something unique every now and then.

I went to Kevin Rathbun Steak while visiting Atlanta last year. It's rated the 5th best Steak House in the country. It was AMAZING, and wasn't really expensive either. My wife, daughter and I ate there. We had appetizers, meal & desert. It was $150 after tax & tip. The same meal at Morton's would have been $200+

khorum

Murder Apologist
Most foodie-show junkies prolly know this, but VICE runs some of the best foodie docs out there. Which isn't surprising since they run some of the best anything-docs out there, really. Often better than No Reservation and easily as good as Bourdain's best foodie doc series on PBS (Mind of a Chef). They're all on youtube atthe Vice Munchies channel.

Basically a Vice crew goes out and gets drunk with the head/exec chef at some of the world's best new restaurants and they film it, usually magic happens (some of it nsfw) but they get some of the world's best chefs to go drinking and cooking for them somehow:

Disp_sl

shitlord
Watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead last night on Amazon Prime. Was an awesome and inspiring documentary about a dude turning his and several other peoples' lives around and getting them off their meds by cutting out processed foods and eating a juiced fruit/veggie diet. Really, really god doc.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I think we got into that movie on FoH. Mostly that it's unnecessary to juice; just eat properly.