The Elder Scrolls Online

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Oh it's about as good as the PvP is in this game. We do scheduled raids three nights a week, last night we had around 30 people on. Compare that to 90+ a few weeks ago. We have PVP during primetime in the other nights but it's not numerous or consistent.

PVPers are a pretty resilient bunch and can thrive in environments with bugs, crashes, OP skills, non-working skills, lag, exploits etc. But when you have a game that is effectively anonymous for 99% of the population you really strip away the core of what makes PvP fun. Plus the strategic aspect of answering, "What do I want to accomplish and what's the point of what I'm doing?" has annoying answers. Historically my goal in these games is to win wars. Take ground, demoralize the enemy, win massive battles etc. In this game because of the AP grind those goals are somewhat discouraged.

Most people who PVP a lot in this game figure out optimal ways to grind AP, which often means fighting in large stalemate fights, camping in a bridge/outpost somewhere in enemy territory etc. So when I get control of a raid, strike at the enemy behind their lines, cap their home keeps and paint the map yellow, I'm effectively avoiding fights with the enemy and minimizing the AP gain of my raid. The two big reasons this is true is because: 1. The death penalty in these games is minimal, so winning engagements in the open field is strategically meaningless, 2. There's little reason to protect your home keeps because you can rez at keeps not connected to your home.

So overall this has been a pretty disappointing game for PRX, and PRX has made a disappointing showing in it. We're made for winning wars, and there's no war to win in ESO.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Neither you nor Resc/Blackwulf were 100% right on anything. I guess the bottom line is... you said the game would tank, they said it won't. .
The difference is I never had to fabricate a point I knew wasn't true to try and sway people to believe me. I also don't recall ever making a prediction whether the game would be a major success or tank. I think that was Blackwulf who made that bet. What I did say was that IMO the PVE questing was fun and I'm willing to bet the players who enjoy the PVE aspect of MMOs would agree with that.

There are two things IMO ZOS needs to fix/improve to increase the longevity of the game. PVP has to be meaningful and something needs to be done to create a sense of community. Easier said that done though.

Lastly, IMO the game was primarily targeted for the hardcore single player TES fans. As long as they are happy and subscribe is probably what ZOS is concerned with.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You did say it would be 2 to 3 years before it goes FTP. That as good a prediction of success as you can get.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
You did say it would be 2 to 3 years before it goes FTP. That as good a prediction of success as you can get.
Damn are you that obsessed with me that you remember everything I have said about this game? I don't ever remember writing that but if you say so I must have said it.

Vitality

HUSTLE
This game is spilt milk at this point, no need for arguing about it really, we should all probably just go find a clean pair of pants.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Damn are you that obsessed with me that you remember everything I have said about this game? I don't ever remember writing that but if you say so I must have said it.
I tend to remember stupid shit that people say. Your posts are quite memorable.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
I tend to remember stupid shit that people say. Your posts are quite memorable.
In that case cite the post where I said it and I will admit you are superior to me in every possible way.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
This game is spilt milk at this point, no need for arguing about it really, we should all probably just go find a clean pair of pants.
Yeah time for Watchdogs (I hope it is good.) Or something to spend my refund money on. I was literally shocked when I checked my bank account while in Oahu and saw it was credited. Kudos to them for that.

As an aside, if any of you get a chance to go to Hawaii, stay the fuck away from Waikiki. What a mess. Big Island, any other island hopping but Oahu. Although Pearl Harbor was awesome, but that's a short day trip. Take a chopper off the island and back to nature and small fish taco shops!

Vitality

HUSTLE
Yeah time for Watchdogs (I hope it is good.) Or something to spend my refund money on. I was literally shocked when I checked my bank account while in Oahu and saw it was credited. Kudos to them for that.

As an aside, if any of you get a chance to go to Hawaii, stay the fuck away from Waikiki. What a mess. Big Island, any other island hopping but Oahu. Although Pearl Harbor was awesome, but that's a short day trip. Take a chopper off the island and back to nature and small fish taco shops!
Buy boosters in HEX

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Not even close. The few people who have said they won't subscribe are primarily the same people who said up front they would likely only play the first 30 days to get their money's worth from the box purchase.

My bet is at least 3 years before it goes FTP.
I guess I wasn't totally right.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Now is the time to admit that he is superior to you in every way.
1397208420445.gif

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
At the risk of sounding like an AA shill, have you played/looked into Archeage yet? It's class system shits on this games' 100%

Pidgeon holes are fairly limited here, because you can be 3 classes in one. Not One class with tons of weapons.

You ever play Titan Quest? AA's class system is a lot like TQ's.
I have started reading up on AA but really off the bat I have three concerns:

1) After my time with AION, Korean/Asian grindy MMOs can all DIAF rolling under a gas truck tasting their own blood. No hard feelings.
2) FFA world PvP generally means ten tons of corpse camping assholes on power trips floating around the game. This could harsh my mellow.
3) I don't mind paying for alpha/beta/founders/collector's editions but with my schedule pinched pretty bad this year, I don't know that I want to play a persistent game during a phase where I don't get any persistence.

Not saying it won't be a great game, I just don't know whether its in my wheelhouse or not.

I am still happily munching slowly on ESO's content. I would really like to see the DC content but again, I don't know whether I want to do that with my Templar, or as Sorcerer/DK.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I have started reading up on AA but really off the bat I have three concerns:

1) After my time with AION, Korean/Asian grindy MMOs can all DIAF rolling under a gas truck tasting their own blood. No hard feelings.

*Understandable, the leveling in AA is quite a bit faster than AION, I'd say 1.5hr level times post 30 (50 cap)

2) FFA world PvP generally means ten tons of corpse camping assholes on power trips floating around the game. This could harsh my mellow.

*Mellow's are definitely harshed in this PVP, especially if you've got a 50gold-100gold value trade pack on your back with no friends to help you run it, you're getting your ass jacked for sure. PVP is for the smart in this one.

Flagging system and safe zones help curb this fun bullshit.

Example: I've paid for my house in the salty banana tears of the asian boys and space cats already. yum yum yum

3) I don't mind paying for alpha/beta/founders/collector's editions but with my schedule pinched pretty bad this year, I don't know that I want to play a persistent game during a phase where I don't get any persistence.

*Having a group of friends to share permissions on your farms/properties keeps a level of persistence going while you're offline. I'm in the same boat.

Not saying it won't be a great game, I just don't know whether its in my wheelhouse or not.

I am still happily munching slowly on ESO's content. I would really like to see the DC content but again, I don't know whether I want to do that with my Templar, or as Sorcerer/DK.
Response in quote.