The Elder Scrolls Online

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I can't believe their QA or feedback people haven't told them how awful their combat is, and that they haven't tried to fix it.
I can guaran-fucking-tee you they have received proper feedback on every game aspect regardless of it being good or bad.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not following you here. If the base of the game is fucked, then I fail to see how it could hold anyone's attention. I'll go back to the EQ2 example, in which they had a wonderful design document, made by a bunch of pro's... none who seemed to actually be playing the game. It looked great on paper but was just not entertaining.

I guess this game could be more tailored for consoles. That said, I'd challenge the developers of this game to play Dark Souls or Dragons Dogma and then play their game for an hour.

I can't believe their QA or feedback people haven't told them how awful their combat is, and that they haven't tried to fix it.
The herd is all in an uproar over this game, no doubt about it. But I very rarely listen to the herd, they are wrong more often than not. My point was simple, if after it's released, people actually enjoy the game when they play it, then all of this pathetic hand wringing will mean nothing.

I don't know if the game will be good or bad. Given the track record of past mmo's, probability is not in it's favor. But being a cynic is the cowards path, so I'll wait and decide for myself.

And most people will also judge the game for themselves. But of course there are always people who will follow the herd and don't have the ability to think independently.

Schags

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I can guaran-fucking-tee you they have received proper feedback on every game aspect regardless of it being good or bad.
This game will suffer from management knows best no matter what QA and developers in the trenches point out. The people they have in "key" positions push their vision with blinders on.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
He's saying this thread is full of turd burglers who have no idea what the game is about spouting off shit that isn't in any way in game and saying they hate this imaginary design decision they just made up, and if the game is good, those same turd burglers will be shut up. Problem is, I don't think even a perfect copy of skyrim gameplay with perfect multiplayer mmo uninstanced features would be good enough for the mmo community because they are too busy tearing everything down and telling themselves they hate everything to just sit down and enjoy a game.
Sorry, read the last 50 pages of the FF14 thread to prove yourself wrong since open beta started (ignore posts about registration issues which is not handled by the dev team) it's full of mmo gamers talking about how the game doesn't innovate at all, but is fun as hell to play and brings back that EQ/ wow vanilla feeling (I've seen that exact sentiment at least 10 different times). Now granted, some people dismiss it as just nostalgia for the FF universe... But I definitely don't have that (I've only played 4 FF games, and only 1 of them past 10 hours) and feel the same, it's nostalgia for a beautifully hand-crafted world designed by people that love the game and are given the time and liberty needed to bring their vision to reality... Not making decisions based upon maximizing return on investment. But because it makes for a good MMO. Things like action combat and server hopping PVP are of no interest to people that enjoy "community".

Calroon_sl

shitlord
After everything we've seen so far.
Now they announced an item shop and microtransactions.
I'm sold. The quality is just overwhelming.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
so we pay a subscription fee AND we get nickled and dimed every time we turn our heads? I really see this game will do well.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
so we pay a subscription fee AND we get nickled and dimed every time we turn our heads? I really see this game will do well.
My guess is they have the cash shop setup just in case the sub model doesn't work out. That's a smart management decision to have it setup ahead of time.

I'd expect every MMO, sub or not, to have one from here on out. It just makes too much business sense and microtransactions are, unfortunately, where the gaming universe is heading.

I don't know if the game will be good or bad. Given the track record of past mmo's, probability is not in it's favor. But being a cynic is the cowards path, so I'll wait and decide for myself.
I was actually cautiously optimistic for this game. I still think they can make it decent, but they really need to fix the shoddy controls, optimize the graphics, and fix combat for it to have a chance. In it's current state, I wouldn't download it and play it for free. Hopefully they have enough time to fix the issues.

The graphics for Skyrim, especially with mods, are beautiful. You can judge the graphics for this game just by the screenshots, and they, well, aren't. This game doesn't look anywhere near as good as GW2 or Rift, which is surprising given Bethesdas in house talent. That's surprising to me.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
an even smarter decision would have been to have it there, but shut up about it and // the code out until you actually need it

But I don't think this is a backup plan, I think they just want both sources of revenue from the start. Problem with cash shops being is that vanity items don't sell, only pay to win items sell really well

DMK_sl

shitlord
My guess is they have the cash shop setup just in case the sub model doesn't work out. That's a smart management decision to have it setup ahead of time.

I'd expect every MMO, sub or not, to have one from here on out. It just makes too much business sense and microtransactions are, unfortunately, where the gaming universe is heading.
How can you rationalize this? That is ok to launch with a cash shop and a sub fee? Oh no no it's there just in case... What a load of shit. If it was there just in case we wouldn't know about it. Plain and simple. It's there because they are trying to squeeze as much money out of us as they can while the game has the fresh feel to it and people are enjoying it. 1-3 months when everyone leaves they will have made profit on the game and then change it to F2P just to keep people playing.

Seriously man it's people like you that have given the gaming industry the balls to do this shit. It's not ok and the cash shop isn't there just in case. Whether the game is going to be the best game ever made or total shit. This Sub fee and Cash Shop deal is NOT ok. It's like the old ads they used to have with subliminal messages to manipulate people into feeling and thinking a certain way without even knowing they were being manipulated. The same thing is being done here having a Sub Fee and a Cash shop. It's outrageous and we should all be offended that they would launch with it.

Problem with cash shops being is that vanity items don't sell, only pay to win items sell really well
Revenue generating order for Core games in the west is this:

-Vanity. This generates the most money, by a good margin. Mount skins, character skins on MOBAs, etc
-Quality of life items. Mounts, bank slots, etc
-Pay2Progress. Pay to progress towards the end game. Xp potions and the like.
Pay2Win_Endgame. This is paying to effectively get a 100% chance to win your Nagafen raid. Most core players hate this and most western MMOs are learning to be very careful with this. You can make a lot of money fast but your player burnout tends to explode except for a few rich people.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Ya I say fuck all businesses that try to squeeze out money from their customers!

I'm gonna FUCKING BURN every candy bar rack at every convenience store I see! They are just trying to get me to impulse buy with chocolatey micro transactions! My 7-11 experience could be so much better if that space was free to be filled with products I actually need!...

Furthermore, if my burger is better with bacon, why doesn't it just come with bacon in the first place? Are you a broke ass scrub that can't afford $1.00? I'd rather pay more and get the sandwich the way it is meant to be eaten than have some tool ask me to upgrade my burger every time I go to the drive through.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
How can you rationalize this? That is ok to launch with a cash shop and a sub fee? Oh no no it's there just in case... What a load of shit. If it was there just in case we wouldn't know about it. Plain and simple. It's there because they are trying to squeeze as much money out of us as they can while the game has the fresh feel to it and people are enjoying it. 1-3 months when everyone leaves they will have made profit on the game and then change it to F2P just to keep people playing.

Seriously man it's people like you that have given the gaming industry the balls to do this shit. It's not ok and the cash shop isn't there just in case. Whether the game is going to be the best game ever made or total shit. This Sub fee and Cash Shop deal is NOT ok. It's like the old ads they used to have with subliminal messages to manipulate people into feeling and thinking a certain way without even knowing they were being manipulated. The same thing is being done here having a Sub Fee and a Cash shop. It's outrageous and we should all be offended that they would launch with it.
This almost turned into an epic rant, but you bottled too much in. Stop holding back so much, DMK.
wink.png

It's a good business decision to have a cash shop. the hihihi and /hugs people live for that stuff and they outnumber the neckbeards and lifers. I personally don't care unless it turns into P2win, and then I'm avidly
against it.

If you weren't going berserk negging me for a game I've been ragging about you'd not have missed this tidbit from my post:

It just makes too much business sense and microtransactions are,unfortunately, where the gaming universe is heading.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Ya I say fuck all businesses that try to squeeze out money from their customers!

I'm gonna FUCKING BURN every candy bar rack at every convenience store I see! They are just trying to get me to impulse buy with chocolatey micro transactions! My 7-11 experience could be so much better if that space was free to be filled with products I actually need!...
Really? That's your fall back? They are just trying to make money as a business? So it's ok for MMO's to subliminally manipulate you but it's not ok for TV Advertisements to do it anymore? By your rationalization of this that means that ANY entity that is trying to make money should be able to do it ANY way they want... What you are failing to realise is there is a DIFFERENCE between advertising and subliminal messaging.

Let me make it a bit clearer for you, as you seem to be struggling. When an advertisement is placed in front of you. You choose to take note of it and know that you are being advertised to. You are in a rational state. You understand something is trying to be sold to you therefore you can make a logical decision. Now what if you were looking at an advertisement and there were secret messages hidden in it that only your subconscious could pick up.

Let's say the messaging is SO strong you subconsciously get the urge for whatever it is. You are now placed in a position where you haven't got a rational or fair standing point to make a logical decision because your brain doesn't even know you've just been manipulated. How would you feel then if you found out your motherm brother msister or friend had just lost money because they had been manipulated subconsciously? It's basically the same as being robbed and is why we have things like Fair trading to stop people from being manipulated.

Having one or the other is the only fair thing for us as customers. Wildstar has also hinted they MAY ad a cash shop to their Sub Fee which is also a load of fucken shit.

DMK_sl

shitlord
This almost turned into an epic rant, but you bottled too much in. Stop holding back so much, DMK.
wink.png

It's a good business decision to have a cash shop. the hihihi and /hugs people live for that stuff and they outnumber the neckbeards and lifers. I personally don't care unless it turns into P2win, and then I'm avidly
against it.

If you weren't going berserk negging me for a game I've been ragging about you'd not have missed this tidbit from my post:
How am I going beserk? And yes I will neg you for saying it is ok to have a Sub Fee and a Cash Shop. I don't agree with you and most MMO's going forward should not have this feature but your submissive attitude towards it is the reason why MMO's have traveled down this path. This has nothing to do with ESO as a game it's about the business model. Wildstar haven't ruled out a Cash shop either and I think that's bullshit. Are you a really sensitive person? If you think that's raging what do you do when people actually do get angry?

DMK_sl

shitlord
This is one of those 'unwritten' rules of the road, isn't it?
I thought I made it pretty clear and yet you don't seem to understand. Having a cash shop as well as a sub fee gives developers the tools to manipulate customers without their knowledge. Most people paying a sub fee will think they are getting the whole game meanwhile the devs will be subtlety pointing them towards the cash shop. It's certain type of false advertisement.

You imply to the gamer that he is recieving everything the game has to offer with his sub fee when he clearly isn't. Then after he has played for a few months and has an emotional connection to the game he can be emotionally manipulated to pay even more in the cash shop on top of his Sub Fee. How is that fair trading? What other genre can do that? Does a movie get to the climax of a story then ask for 10 cents to keep playing? No you'd be outraged and yet this is exactly what ESO is doing.

Implying "Here guys just pay 15 bucks a month + box and the game is all yours." Few months down the track the sub fee is still there but they decided to put cash shop items in as well. Do you throw away the 3 months of playing for a few measly dollars? or just throw down 1$ here and 2$ there because you already so committed.

Are you purposely trolling or you really can't see the problem?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
DMK, not only are you potentially a very intellectually weak individual if you so easily fall prey to what you call 'subliminal messaging' (bullshit), it is becoming more and more evident that you are a fucking commie.

Go back to Russia.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
How am I going beserk? And yes I will neg you for saying it is ok to have a Sub Fee and a Cash Shop. I don't agree with you and most MMO's going forward should not have this feature but your submissive attitude towards it is the reason why MMO's have traveled down this path. This has nothing to do with ESO as a game it's about the business model. Wildstar haven't ruled out a Cash shop either and I think that's bullshit. Are you a really sensitive person? If you think that's raging what do you do when people actually do get angry?
I actually thought your reply was a tad weak, as you've done much better rants. For some reasons I have visions of you raging at the entrance to a movie theater about the exorbitant price of candy and popcorn there while the normals all walk by chuckling with their food nicely stowed in their pockets. The same analogy is true for cash shops, as they are generally not required for a game, but add revenue in a smart manner, sub or no.

I personally have never used a cash shop. Would I? Sure, why not. If it supports a sub free game I'm investing a lot of time in, then I feel that indeed is fair.

WOW and all the F2P games generate a ton of cash which is why we have them. I wasn't defending them, I was explaining why every MMO from here on out will be rolling them out.

As I mentioned, I could care less about a cash shop. It irks the fuck out of me when they push it in my face a la SOE, but overall they help keep more MMOs open so I'm cool with them.