The Expanse

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
One thing that struck me even more with these episodes was how much the visual design of this show is drawing on the Mass Effect series. That opening scene with Bobbie could have easily been a ME cinematic.

And yeah, overall that was an awesome start to the season. Love how much they've stepped it up in the visuals department especially - that space battle was amazing, as were the scenes on Mars, and some of the smaller stuff that seemed a bit off last season (the Martian Naval sets) looks much better.

They seem to have increased the pace a fair bit as well. My memory of the book is that Eros was 60-ish % of the way through, so I figured they were planning on doing 2 seasons for book one, but it looks like they're going to push through Book 1 in the first half of this season and then step into Book 2.

All in all, really stoked. Can't wait for more.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ladro

Anomaly
Great opener for sure, definitely enjoyed the space combat quite a bit. Agree it was a great representation of what it could be like. When they depressurized the ship my immediate thought was "I've never seen anyone ever do that before, that's really fucking cool". Glad it paid off when the rounds pierced the ship. Love that one of the screens had a hole in it for most of the combat!

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
And yeah, overall that was an awesome start to the season. Love how much they've stepped it up in the visuals department especially - that space battle was amazing, as were the scenes on Mars, and some of the smaller stuff that seemed a bit off last season (the Martian Naval sets) looks much better.
My main beef is that they start a bit too slowly with Sgt. Draper. We all see she's a badass and all, but unless you're a book reader, there's absolutely nothing to tell you she's important to the series. She ships to Phoebe, they all go rah-rah-rah, and then... nothing happens (Phoebe gets blown up).

I really wish they would have swapped some stuff around, and pushed her real introduction to protomolecule shit to episode 2, possibly pushing the Thoth Station stuff (labelled as "Unnamed Spin Station" in the show) to maybe ep 3.

But I guess they want to close the avenues on finding about the protomolecule from Eros research and let Bobbie Draper find the new clues. Sometimes, I think this show is made for binge watching rather than the classic episodic format of SyFy.

Oh, and fun times with Diogo, who apparently got picked up after his uncle made his suicide ramming on the Martians.
Interestingly, he's listed for all of the episodes 2 to 8 in season 2.

They seem to have increased the pace a fair bit as well. My memory of the book is that Eros was 60-ish % of the way through, so I figured they were planning on doing 2 seasons for book one, but it looks like they're going to push through Book 1 in the first half of this season and then step into Book 2.
Just noticed that there's 13 episodes listed for season 2 instead of the 10 from season 1. That gives them more time to go over the material.
I'm expecting them to skim more of book 2 and wrap it around the book 1 end-game. This is why we got early Avasarala, we already get Bobbie, and Mao is the ultimate boss.

If you've read the books and looked at the casting, there's no Dr. Praxidike Meng. I think the entire sub-story of Meng and his daughter is gone. Dunno if they're going to do much on Ganymede. That's certainly why we get the intro battle with Bobby as a martian training exercise rather than a breakout on Ganymede.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
there's no Dr. Praxidike Meng. I think the entire sub-story of Meng and his daughter is gone.

I have no problem with that, it was a pretty forgettable sub-plot in the books. Pulling the cool stuff out of book 2 forward and wrapping it into the close of book 1 works just fine for me.

And yeah in fairness the Bobbie intro was a bit anti-climactic - I think it was probably more for character development, since we really haven't had a good look at the Martian side of things in the show yet. It was a chance to build on that a little more, show the roots of their antagonism towards Earth and their attachment to the terraforming project, instead of a buildup to an immediate conflict. She'll have plenty of chances to kick ass and take names later on when they integrate more of the book 2 stuff.

• 1Like

Cybsled

there's no Dr. Praxidike Meng. I think the entire sub-story of Meng and his daughter is gone.

I have no problem with that, it was a pretty forgettable sub-plot in the books. Pulling the cool stuff out of book 2 forward and wrapping it into the close of book 1 works just fine for me.

And yeah in fairness the Bobbie intro was a bit anti-climactic - I think it was probably more for character development, since we really haven't had a good look at the Martian side of things in the show yet. It was a chance to build on that a little more, show the roots of their antagonism towards Earth and their attachment to the terraforming project, instead of a buildup to an immediate conflict. She'll have plenty of chances to kick ass and take names later on when they integrate more of the book 2 stuff.

Ya, her intro was also mostly an intro to Mars. All we really saw of them in greater detail in S1 was the Donanger incident. However, this intro in S2 makes them easier to sympathize with with the context of them just wanting to do their terraforming thing.

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>

Yea but
He's back later. He's a recurring character. And he's still a fairly important trigger for the Rocinante crew, vs Draper for the Avasarala part.

TMDB has slightly more spoiling one-line description. I guess everyone will have a major shock on ep 5... (and I didn't expect them to move stuff so fast)

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
goddamn shit is getting real. All the protomolecule talk is amazing, and lol at Miller talking to the Mormons and only revealing at the end he wants to destroy their $1 trillion space ship. Jesus Christ Miller, is there no one you won't absolutely fuck over... poor Mormons, they just wanna visit Space Jesus

That rave was straight up outta Matrix

53ndpm7dgpey.gif

• 2Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well when you come to the realization you may need to throw a small moon into the sun ASAP the mormons ship is basically the only way to do so on short notice. And in his talk to the mormons they told him the engines are totally fine and online and thats all they need right now.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Ya, definitely sucks for them, although *big book spoilers*

Eventually they do find those interstellar gateways, which negates the need for a generation ship to reach different systems

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Watched all 3 episodes and so far I don't feel connected at all to this series like I did last year. Maybe it is because I haven't read the books, or that I just forgot vital parts of last year.
Going to have to find season 1 and rewatch it I feel then watch these 3 so far again then revisit interest.

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yea but
He's back later. He's a recurring character. And he's still a fairly important trigger for the Rocinante crew, vs Draper for the Avasarala part.

TMDB has slightly more spoiling one-line description. I guess everyone will have a major shock on ep 5... (and I didn't expect them to move stuff so fast)

Meng was just that- a trigger and a mechanism to explain certain things about the Expanse universe. I didn't mind his subplot in the books, but his insights and catalytic purpose can easily be replaced in the show without losing much, if anything, from the narrative. I'd contrast this with, say, Bobby Draper, who, while not one of the ship's crew
originally
was nevertheless a vital part of the narrative. Just my thought, anyway.

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Watched all 3 episodes and so far I don't feel connected at all to this series like I did last year. Maybe it is because I haven't read the books, or that I just forgot vital parts of last year.
Going to have to find season 1 and rewatch it I feel then watch these 3 so far again then revisit interest.

I actually feel ya on this one. I've been trying to watch the show through the eyes of someone who hasn't read the books and I feel like I'd be missing quite a lot of stuff due to the direction. I'd say stick with it. Rewatching the first season might be a good idea, since the guys doing the show don't seem super keen on "reminder" tropes (which I actually appreciate since I don't need them and find them annoying).

I'll be honest, the overarching storyline for the series wasn't very clear to me until about the end of the second book anyway. Most of the time in the first and second books I was just going along enjoying story but assuming the author's would fill in the gaps later- which they did.

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I'll be honest, the overarching storyline for the series wasn't very clear to me until about the end of the second book anyway. Most of the time in the first and second books I was just going along enjoying story but assuming the author's would fill in the gaps later- which they did.
This is probably why S1 & S2 are a mashup of book 1 & book 2, with bits of book 2 ending up in season 1 (Jules Mao, the UN bits) and the resolution of book 1 being the first 5-6 episodes of S2.

Which is also a problem, because they introduce Bobbie Draper as the very first scene of S2, but her involvement in the story doesn't begin until Ganymede (which is where she's shipping now). Unlike the other characters, who were involved in the story straight from the episode in which they appear, she now has had 3 episodes with nothing but background character exposition. And I wouldn't be surprised if she still had nothing to do but look angry for 2 more episodes :(

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Draper is a warmongering cunt in this. Really don't like her on the show compared to book version. Just like how Avasarala is way more badass in the book.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Well, it is pretty obvious what they are doing with Draper in the show *some book spoilers*

We are introduced to her in book 2 pretty quickly...she is bullshitting with her squad, report of Earth attacking comes in, she actually sees they aren't the ones attacking, some creature attacks, everyone gets owned in her squad. On the show, they are introducing her squad in more detail and showing that she is itching for a fight vs. Earth/she hates them. This actually increases the payoff for her development. Instead of rando-squad getting murdered, all the people she was crewing with and we have watched over the past few episodes gets butchered, so there is more audience investment in what is happening. It also allows her to develop from someone who just thinks "fuck Earth" to "maybe we have bigger things to worry about", Since you don't have internal monologues in the show, you have to visually show the change in mindset.

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well, it is pretty obvious what they are doing with Draper in the show *some book spoilers*

We are introduced to her in book 2 pretty quickly...she is bullshitting with her squad, report of Earth attacking comes in, she actually sees they aren't the ones attacking, some creature attacks, everyone gets owned in her squad. On the show, they are introducing her squad in more detail and showing that she is itching for a fight vs. Earth/she hates them. This actually increases the payoff for her development. Instead of rando-squad getting murdered, all the people she was crewing with and we have watched over the past few episodes gets butchered, so there is more audience investment in what is happening. It also allows her to develop from someone who just thinks "fuck Earth" to "maybe we have bigger things to worry about", Since you don't have internal monologues in the show, you have to visually show the change in mindset.

Show Draper is pretty true to book Draper- especially in light of what we see of her in book 6. I am good with the way they are portraying her. She is much more true to book character than, say, Amos. Kind of annoying how much leeway she is given with disrespecting Sutton. No way someone of her rank would get away with talking to someone of Sutton's rank in a strict martial society like Mars- especially the times she has argued with him and talked back to him in front of other marines.

• 1Like

Div

Silver Knight of the Realm
I gotta say I am a little lost as to what the hell is going on on the show. All these different stations and ship names.

Maybe I'll pick up the books, sounds like they are worth the read.

• 2Like

Cybsled

Ya, I got sick of waiting for the episodes and bought the first 4 books. I tore through the first three in 9 days and just started the 4th ;p

• 2Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I am still thoroughly enjoying this show and have resisted temptations to check out the books. I was certainly not anticipating the ending of this week's episode

• 1Like