The Expanse

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yes, please respect those that haven't read the books. If it's even a minor spoiler that you think they may have already gotten still put it in spoiler tags. It's not that hard.

I have read all the books myself.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This is obviously a thread that you must avoid if you haven't read the books. GoT should have taught us that because people who have read the books can't shut the fuck up about it by hinting at everything. Then if this show becomes real popular you get the I didn't read the book "predictions" that always end up being right. Just read the books or risk being spoiled.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
i've read all the books but imo i think that TV show threads should just pretend the books don't exist, no one gives a shit that you can fucking read a book its not an amazing achievement, the book forum exists and you can go there and circle jerk around it. its disrespectful to people who haven't read the books yet and just want to watch the show, and hiding shit in spoilers is not a convenient way to have a discussion and sucks for anyone who think spoilers are for future episode preview clips and stuff.

its fine to recommend or not reading the books and where to start/stop/skip, for example I'd definitely say read all the little novellas they are each 30-40 pages and give some characters - fred johnson, the scientist guys, amos - some real nice backstory and depth.

• 1Like

Caliane

When that cute girl you like, puts on a little weight.

would you a space station?

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I can't believe a cliffhanger like that was NOT a season ender. Holy shit. TWD could learn a few things from this show.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I can't believe a cliffhanger like that was NOT a season ender. Holy shit. TWD could learn a few things from this show.

That end bit did seem like an end of season shot didn't it? Classy show. Reminds me of BSG delivering the goods mid season.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
That's because it is the book ender rather than the season ender. Now we move into book 2 territory (minus the bits already injected in S1).

There's an interview somewhere where the showrunners said that, if they had a 13-episode run for season 1, they would have tried to fit the full book 1 in there. But with only 10 episodes, they couldn't make it work.

There's 8 episodes to go for book 2, and I think it is probably doable, since they've covered a few bits of book 2 already.

• 2Like

Cybsled

The live viewership is pretty shitty in the US (less than a million), but live+7 (DVR/OnDemand) gets it above a million. Little lower than the Magicians.

Honestly the season 1 marketing sucked ass and they just dumped it out in the middle of the holidays. They did a much better job marketing for season 2, but losing that Season 1 buzz hurt in grabbing that initial core audience. Places like Wired and EW have been posting articles about it and it has some NASA-fan cred, but it really needs more attention.

The show is only midway through the season, so I assume any official confirmation of renewal or cancellation will happen somewhat close to or slightly after the finale.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The show is only midway through the season, so I assume any official confirmation of renewal or cancellation will happen somewhat close to or slightly after the finale.
It would be an enormous shame if it got canceled before at least season 4.

There's going to be 9 books in the series, and I would hope we'd get S09 someday, but given the fickleness of viewership and network execs, that's not guaranteed...

• 2Like

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I can't see it getting cancelled. Even if the viewership is just average, this is the most excitement and public goodwill Syfy have generated since BSG. They definitely faltered a bit with the S1 marketing, but they also seem to be doing well with the word of mouth thing, at least if how much discussion is taking place around the show is any indicator.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Oldbased

> Than U
I enjoyed the mini story about the drive more than I should have. In Star Trek I also enjoyed the first warp part more than I should have.
I'm guessing science and exploration discoveries are my sci fi comfort food.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Motherfucking Crissjen.

Also enjoying the Roci crew getting closer and closer to the books and a working unit.

• 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I do like that they are letting at least a few crissjen F'bombs go unbleeped. She can't be as salty as she is in the book but at least they are giving her about as much salt as syfy can handle.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

Only complaint I had is the Ganymede battle at the end was kind of confusing, even if you read the book. I hope the next episode fleshes it out more and it isn't another GoT season 1 Tyrion-gets-knocked-out-and-wakes-up-after-the-battle thing.

• 2Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Only complaint I had is the Ganymede battle at the end was kind of confusing, even if you read the book. I hope the next episode fleshes it out more and it isn't another GoT season 1 Tyrion-gets-knocked-out-and-wakes-up-after-the-battle thing.

Ya I'll bet they'll give what's her face flashbacks, at least with the ground battle with the beast. Was bummed not to see the fight, probably expensive though.

• 2Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I do like that they are letting at least a few crissjen F'bombs go unbleeped. She can't be as salty as she is in the book but at least they are giving her about as much salt as syfy can handle.

Yup. An absolutely essential part of her character is how creatively and effectively she used profanity. If they ditch that, they lose a big part of what made her great in the books.

Really enjoyed the last episode. Feel like the show is definitely coming into its own. In Season 1, show Amos started with a kind of brooding, dark violence. Now, he is beginning to get the hang of book Amos's casual, good-natured violence. Still really like the actor, even if he isn't what I pictured. Show Holden does a pretty good self-righteous prick- which is pretty much what he is in the books. He does it without being too annoying though, which is key. Show Alex is doing a great job but needs to relax a little. Book Alex had icewater veins- which makes sense for a pilot.

Was definitely disappointed that they didn't show the battle on Gany. Maybe they will show it in a flashback or just have Bobbi describe it. Like someone said, it would be a really expensive scene and I am sure they need to limit those.
If they had to choose between showing the protocreature in that scene or in the finale fight, I think they made the right call by holding off

Anyway, I'm a hypercritical motherfucker- especially when I'm watching something drawn from a book series I really liked- and I'm really excited to see the rest of the season, so that's gotta be a good sign.

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I enjoyed the mini story about the drive more than I should have. In Star Trek I also enjoyed the first warp part more than I should have.
That's also the first time they call the Epstein Drive "Epstein" in the show, I think. It's straight out of first chapters of book, but there was really no reason to provide the name.

Haven't read the short story yet, because I was waiting for it to show on amazon, but apparently, you can only get it on Syfy's website.
Never turn off your vocal command.

• 2Like

Oldbased

> Than U
That's also the first time they call the Epstein Drive "Epstein" in the show, I think. It's straight out of first chapters of book, but there was really no reason to provide the name.

Haven't read the short story yet, because I was waiting for it to show on amazon, but apparently, you can only get it on Syfy's website.
Never turn off your vocal command.
My greatest concern would be I assume they generate gravity inside the spaceship artificially, so why would artificial gravity simulate G acceleration. I don't know much about space physics but it would seem to be once in "weightless" space G forces wouldn't apply, but maybe they do. My area of expertise is meatloaf and hamburgers.

• 2Like

Cybsled

Newtonian physics still apply in space (every action opposite but equal reaction). As long as thrust is constant, then G forces will be equivalent to the amount of thrust being generated. So if they use the equivalent of half a G of constant thrust, then everything inside the ship pushes back with half a G of force opposite to the direction of that force, thus creating the sensation of half Earth gravity. Once thrust is cut and they coast, though, then the G forces would no longer apply and they would be in freefall (weightless).

Person in ship pushing against direction of thrust---><-----Ship thrusting forward

The game changing nature of the Epstein drive is the fact that it is so efficient, that you can maintain constant thrust for very long periods of time. Not only does this let you gain tons of speed over time, but it also has the advantage of negating 0g environments for the duration of the active thrust (which is better for the human body).

• 1Like