The Expanse

khorum

Murder Apologist
The only potential possibility, which I imagine will be explored in book 9 (finale book). Spoilers included for the most recent books.

They find that diamond the size of a planet and theorize it is basically a giant harddrive. The popular hypothesis is some of the builders consciousness was uploaded to that and potentially any sentient life that has been protomoleculed has as well (Amos and those 2 kids they rescue from Laconia will probably be the test bed for this theory, since presumably they will be the key in finding a solution to dealing with the aliens working on wiping out humanity)

I mean, sure, that's a possibility. But it would feel cheesy and a disservice to the character to be used that way. The sendoff at the end of that character's arc wasn't just for the role, but also as a sendoff to the "training wheels" humanity has been given with so far. There was a line in there that went something like "I helped you all I can, now you're on your own".

We don't actually know for sure that the protomolecule builders were totally wiped out by the gate aliens. In fact, the only evidence that the builders used the station as a weapon to destroy infected systems was Holden's vision. The ONLY effective countermeasure the builders used to defend against the gate aliens is also the ONLY countermeasure that we don't need Holden's vision to recognize----the builders just closed the gates and kept them closed until Miller came along and reopened them.

Whether or not the builders are still alive somewhere but shut themselves off from the gate systems is a fun theory, but I dunno if it's relevant for the last few books. I think if push comes to shove humanity would have to resort to closing the gates too.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

I agree that the only solution will be to shut down the gates or some type of compromise if they can somehow communicate (ie, you can only use them once every 100 years or whatever). Anything that distorts space seems to be the issue, same reason they hated it when Laconia fires that cannon

khorum

Murder Apologist
Might be any causality-violating thing, which FTL technically would violate. The "blackout" effect of lost consciousness as the effect of their countermeasure fits in that sense---they'd create a "causal voidzone" instead of violating it.

• 1Salty

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Should have swapped Naomi for some not dead weight while they were at it.

I think there has been 1 moment the whole damn show where she really did well.

But its like complaining because your stuck fucking the ugliest cheerleader. Show is so great it doesnt matter.

Even if I do think she is SJW'ing the fuck out every time she opens her mouth during Q&A etc.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
This show is good, guys. Really enjoyed the addition of the widescreen landscape shots on Ilus. The larger budget certainly showed. It's been mentioned the book this season was based on was one of the weaker ones? Really excited to see what they do moving forward with, presumably, better source material.

This may have already been posted, but a cool look at some shot from season 5 filming. Guy is one of the directors.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Really curious to see when they wrap shooting for S5 and when it will be put out.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Just finished S2 E12 and I swear someone is cutting onions around here.

• 2Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Yer going too fast!! Pull-up or you'll melt on re-entry!! Man was not meant to consume an entire season of Expanse every day!

In related news I failed in my attempt to ration the season out and have now finished Season 4... Only 350ish days to go until Season 5 I suppose

• 1Worf

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Well it is hard enough to jerk off left handed 5 times a day let alone do it on pain killers muscle relaxers. I thought this is why God (Bezos) made The Expanse, to fill the void.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah being able to binge this season was great...and shitty. Guess I'll plow through Book 4 and as many as I can get through before season 5 is released.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Weakest season for me, but still great stuff. The mars and Ashford side stuff was interesting, and Amos continues to be one of my favourite characters ever.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I meant to reread the books before your season.

Guess I'm doing that before season five now.

Might watch four one more time first. Lol

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Weakest season for me, but still great stuff. The mars and Ashford side stuff was interesting, and Amos continues to be one of my favourite characters ever.

This is the stage setting period. Overall they did it really well.

Some nice Easter eggs for book readers, some gorgeous visuals, just went by too fast... The next two seasons are going to be amazing.

I won't intend to binge them... But likely will pace myself like a Coke head and blow it all as fast as I can

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I think the reason why it was the weakest for me is that it didn't quite have the urgent pace blended with mystery that the series had that kept you gripped, and the change on the production side of things.

It made me finally decide to read the books though. This being based off a book was very apparent this season compared to the previous ones, so it has me wanting to check them out.

Still my favourite show running right now.

khorum

Murder Apologist
The show was actually better than the book for this season hah.

They left out a lot of the space walking shenanigans and Miller’s old buddy from Ceres. The surface stuff was excellent but they should’ve found a way to include Fayez’ commentary on how the planet was creepy because it was absolutely engineered: it had no tectonics and some continents were perfectly geometrical.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The moons not being a huge concern was pretty odd too considering they were arranged exactly like the ships inside the ring were around the core, and would never be arranged that perfectly naturally

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Just finished S2, does this basically become TWD in Space? If so please tell me know and save me the trouble of watching two more seasons. I fucking hated TWD.

• 3Seriously?
  • 1WTF
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users