The Expanse

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I know this is true, but I can't stand the guy playing Holden. I don't know why exactly, he just bugs me.

I hated Holden at first but he grew on me. He's got a touch of Amos in him when his righteousness gets tested and while he won't just shoot a guy in the head, he will put him on the ground and make the guy feel bad for forcing him to do it.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
It isn't the character I dislike, it's the actor. I can't put my finger on it, he just bugs me. I feel as though he was mis-cast. I didn't care for him in Magic City either, but it was admittedly a better role for him. He is just one of those guys I want to punch in the face for no discernable reason.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
I can understand disliking Holden as a character as he's pretty unlikeable, but that's intentional I think. Naomi's issue is her actress is pretty weak and it just rarely conveys her competency that the character actually has. Does she ever actually seem like a real badass engineer?

That and I have no sympathy for her plight. I remember being kind of gutted when reading the stuff going on and upcoming. It is actually a concern I have for next season.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
It isn't the character I dislike, it's the actor. I can't put my finger on it, he just bugs me. I feel as though he was mis-cast. I didn't care for him in Magic City either, but it was admittedly a better role for him. He is just one of those guys I want to punch in the face for no discernable reason.
Fair enough. I was just saying that he comes across as self righteous which is intentional.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Fair enough. I was just saying that he comes across as self righteous which is intentional.
I get that, I think I would have preferred Aaron Taylor Johnson as Holden or someone similar to him, because he is probably to big time for the role.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Just finished S2, does this basically become TWD in Space? If so please tell me know and save me the trouble of watching two more seasons. I fucking hated TWD.

Watch the show.

Ignore this thread until your done imo.

• 2Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
One other thing, watching this show really makes me want to install the Deluxe Edition of Stellaris that I bought on sale last spring and have yet to play. I have to wait for this friggin shoulder though because trying to micro manage that shit one handed (left hand to boot) is no bueno.

• 1Worf

khorum

Murder Apologist
the black guy amos fragged? was it millers reconstructing his memories or something?
Nah it was the mexican dude that was Holden's partner in Ceres. He ended up working in Murtry's team in the book and a lot of the orbit shenanigans involved him. They cut that stuff out a LOT, including his whole part in it. They just tightened it all up down to the shuttle attack.

• 2Salty

khorum

Murder Apologist
One other thing, watching this show really makes me want to install the Deluxe Edition of Stellaris that I bought on sale last spring and have yet to play. I have to wait for this friggin shoulder though because trying to micro manage that shit one handed (left hand to boot) is no bueno.
I wish there had been more progress on a Stellaris mod that was based on the early expansion in the solar system. It replaced the galaxy with a solar system map and focused on a period a century or so before the Expanse.

But I can't even find it now. There are tons of excellent Stellaris TC's including the star trek and star wars ones, shame there isn't an Expanse one.

• 2Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Del

Vyemm Raider
The Expanse has good actors, writing and direction. The Walking Dead has none of that.
Half of the women on this show are pretty terrible actors. Naomi doesn't even do the correct accent half of the time. Drummer overacts like crazy, however she was better in season 4.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Bobbi was looking much better this season. She went from looking like a fat woman in armour to a fuckable amazon woman

• 3Like

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Drummer overacts like crazy, however she was better in season 4.

Drummer is the most transformed Actor in the show... Brilliant performance IMO.

Here she is normally.

• 2Like
  • 1Blown
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Half of the women on this show are pretty terrible actors. Naomi doesn't even do the correct accent half of the time. Drummer overacts like crazy, however she was better in season 4.
I think that the Drummer stuff is intentional. She dialed it up to 11 then when she was more secure she could tone it down. But yeah Naomi is pretty bad.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
I hated Holden at first but he grew on me. He's got a touch of Amos in him when his righteousness gets tested and while he won't just shoot a guy in the head, he will put him on the ground and make the guy feel bad for forcing him to do it.

In fairness, the actor doesn't have a lot to work with in the early seasons. In the book, Holden is pretty much a cardboard cutout in comparison to Miller.

I'm almost 100% certain that Ty Franck wrote Holden for the book and that Abraham wrote the Miller side - he was several orders of magnitude better as a character writer when they started. ( Also, all of his characters are horrible people ;p )

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Is there information on which parts the authors were responsible for?

• 1Salty

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I know this is true, but I can't stand the guy playing Holden. I don't know why exactly, he just bugs me.

We've discussed this before, I'm pretty sure he's SUPPOSED to be a bit unlikable. Perhaps so that it takes some thought to get behind him as the good guy, instead of just following him because of charisma.

Last edited:

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Holden isn't terrible, but the execution from the actor feels a bit stale/forced at times. Really, Holden's character feels a lot like Emily Blunt's in Sicario (Blunt is certainly better). The character, at least on screen, is definitely more a vessel for the audience to run through the story. Naomi is just, that actress is not good. You just never get the vibe that she is legitimately an engineer, let alone a badass one. It's night and day how insanely good Wes Chatham portrays Amos. That guy just nails the meathead war machine shtick, while very subtly exposing how badass of a technician he is, and how at peace he is with his spot in the world. Avasarala is interesting. It's clear she is so obviously over written, and is meant to be a walking "zinger". At times in season 4 it felt too much, but then she'll come back and nail it in a nonchalant way.

Amos, Miller, Ashford, and Murty just really kill it. It's kind of shocking how good those guys are. Murty was amazing this season. Perfectly cast.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Loved Murty (Burn Gorman), he gave me great Jeffrey Combs vibes in the range of characters he plays.

Bobbi was looking much better this season. She went from looking like a fat woman in armour to a fuckable amazon woman

Bleh, she still doesn't look imposing at all. And I feel they just surround her with extra soy looking manlets in order to attempt to make her look more impressive than she is.

Last edited: