The Expanse

Goatface

1610651689806.png
this is like 20 seconds after jumping, the odds of hitting right at the airlock would be insane

Sterling

El Presidente
View attachment 329037this is like 20 seconds after jumping, the odds of hitting right at the airlock would be insane
I mean yeah, there's definitely problems with the scene. I'm just saying that they at least put some effort into setting it up with all the stuff about her thinking about suicide by airlock in the past and showing how strong the oxygenated blood injections are.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
If you exhale, you can live unprotected in space for up to 3.5 minutes. I'm not sure if that is where you thought the threshold would be or not, but thats what you're looking at.

anything after 90-120 seconds though and some really nasty things start happening.
"The baseline temperature of outer space, as set by the background radiation from the Big Bang, is 2.7 kelvins (−270.45 °C; −454.81 °F)."

No. That time you are using is just assuming no oxygen

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I agree the scene itself has a load of problems. But not dying in the first 15-20 seconds of space isn't one of them, nor as Sterling Sterling pointed out, was their explanations for how the blood worked an dhow effective it is.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
"The baseline temperature of outer space, as set by the background radiation from the Big Bang, is 2.7 kelvins (−270.45 °C; −454.81 °F)."

No. That time you are using is just assuming no oxygen
But a person would not instantly freeze because heat wouldn't transfer away from the body very quickly. On earth, heat can be transferred via convection, but outer space is mostly nothingness. The only way to transfer heat is via infrared radiation. It would freeze yes, but it would take longer is being given credit for here. It would take hours for the process to happen.

The biggest dumb in the scene is her hitting the airlock with the precision she does, by far.

Cybsled

Right, vacuums don’t conduct heat very well. Same reason why your thermos will keep your drink warm for a while. So while space is very cold, it isn’t like diving into a vat of liquid nitrogen.

As for the airlock piece, the ships were aligned airlock to airlock before. If there wasn’t any drift of note beyond distance apart, then jumping from one airlock along a direct line would get you to the other one

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Right, vacuums don’t conduct heat very well. Same reason why your thermos will keep your drink warm for a while. So while space is very cold, it isn’t like diving into a vat of liquid nitrogen.

As for the airlock piece, the ships were aligned airlock to airlock before. If there wasn’t any drift of note beyond distance apart, then jumping from one airlock along a direct line would get you to the other one

true in that last part but man, but it’s really hard to think she wouldn’t have exerted the tiniest bit of force in a direction she shouldn’t have in a flat footed take off from a surface that was under her and not behind her.

Goatface

she jumped up and traveled at a diagonal
1610653385088.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The worst part of that scene is that it was a total cocktease of Naomi dying. I actually said, out loud, "Yes! She's dead!"

• 5Worf
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Uh, considering how cold the vacuum of space is, I'd expect some pretty catastrophic effects immediately on anything life that is composed of mainly water
Space is technically cold, but not cold in the way you are used to. Overheating is actually a consideration on lots of space vehicles. Without air to conduct heat away, things cool off very slow in space. Gas escaping your body and its effects are the entire threat of a vacuum to a human body. Being in a vacuum is extremely survivable for short periods, and there was a nasa scientist who survived a total decompression lasting 30 seconds without injury. How long a vacuum is survivable is theoretical, but medical consensus is ~30 presents little risk, ~60 you'll start having major issues including losing consciousness, ~90s you'll almost certainly have heart failure. Nothing medical is exact, but you probably can be revived for some time past that, with long term issues in the more vulnerable organs (lungs/eyes especially)

Media that portrays people exploding to ice are retarded and wrong, and its always something that's triggered my inner nerd when I see it. Only thing that scene did really poorly is she should have kept her eyes closed as much as possible, and fat guy should have taken longer to go limp. The vapor escaping their mouths being visible was a nice realistic touch.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Even if it was 100% scientifically accurate people would complain, so for presentation they have to embellish some details. Of course if they do a poor job at it then criticism swings further into the complain territory and for this depiction there's a few details with issues.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm about to finish up Season 4, and I see Amazon is doing the weekly release faggotry with Season 5. What is up with that.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Weekly release does at least let people have more of a shared experience with the series vs dropping all the episodes at once and not being able to communicate with others until after everyone is done with the whole season.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
true in that last part but man, but it’s really hard to think she wouldn’t have exerted the tiniest bit of force in a direction she shouldn’t have in a flat footed take off from a surface that was under her and not behind her.

Read the book

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It's kind of hair-brained escape plan. What is the end game? She jumped to another ship in a fleet of ships that have full crews and are right next to her...

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>

What's your confusion then?

The books made it a point, dozens of times, about how adept Naomi was at moving in zero g.

And made it often enough, and aggressively enough, that myself, someone that tends to ignore irrelevant details, remembered it well.

It's dumb, but the books built the idea up

• 2Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
It's kind of hair-brained escape plan. What is the end game? She jumped to another ship in a fleet of ships that have full crews and are right next to her...

They want to blow up the roci more than they want to kill Naomi immediately.

So they let it go on auto pilot thinking she will die with it or something. I don't remember exactly.

Know what I do remember?

Naomi was a zero g ballerina

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
What's your confusion then?

The books made it a point, dozens of times, about how adept Naomi was at moving in zero g.

And made it often enough, and aggressively enough, that myself, someone that tends to ignore irrelevant details, remembered it well.

It's dumb, but the books built the idea up

I know what’s she’s capable of, but the way she jumped off that platform wasn’t something she woulda been able to hit a target on on something that moved in a strait line away, was what I was getting at.

the that’s the only part of the scene I took issue with.