The Expanse

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
It's not like everyone predicted Naomi's casting was doomed to screw the show down the line. The actress was unlikable and unrelatable from the very beginning and was only tolerable so long as the character wasn't a load-bearing role in the show.

Once the story moved into places where Naomi's appeal was critical to making the readers/viewers give a shit for a season and half, the casting for the role was bound to make or break the whole franchise. It didn't make it.

Honestly, even in the books where you could will yourself to imagine Naomi looking like Zoe fuckin Saldana, the books centered around her whiny ass, her psychopath ex and their dumbass son were a huge drag on the franchise as a whole. I'm not sure hot casting woud have helped all that much.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
It's not like everyone predicted Naomi's casting was doomed to screw the show down the line. The actress was unlikable and unrelatable from the very beginning and was only tolerable so long as the character wasn't a load-bearing role in the show.

Once the story moved into places where Naomi's appeal was critical to making the readers/viewers give a shit for a season and half, the casting for the role was bound to make or break the whole franchise. It didn't make it.

Racist

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I was deeply disappointed in S6 E1. This was an empty episode that did ZERO to move the story along and move us to any sense of closure. Up until this episode I have very much enjoyed the series, but with only 6 episodes (correct me if I am wrong) in Season 6, there is no time to waste with filler.

Now unless there are literal wizards working on the last remaining scripts, I am expected an extremely rushed attempt at closing this show out with no closure to much of the open story points.

I don't think this is headed to Lost territory, but definitely borrowing a page from GOT S8 as far as pacing and closure.

• 2Like

Goatface

at the end, i would not be surprised to see the maros story end, hugs and stuff, fade to black then have big bad come through the ring...credits.

think they are either close to a movie deal with amazon or moving to another network/service.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
at the end, i would not be surprised to see the maros story end, hugs and stuff, fade to black then have big bad come through the ring...credits.

think they are either close to a movie deal with amazon or moving to another network/service.

The prologue of the first episode of season 6 and the trailers showing a glimpse of a Laconian dreadnaught hint that they intend to somehow go beyond the Inaros arc, otherwise it'd be a really odd decision to include this stuff in an already short season it has no relevance with.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

The Expanse is one of the best sci-fi shows ever made. But that isn't saying much since 99.999999999999999999999% of "science fiction" movie / tv shows are complete garbage and/or total fantasy, without any relation to science.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
The Expanse is one of the best sci-fi shows ever made. But that isn't saying much since 99.999999999999999999999% of "science fiction" movie / tv shows are complete garbage and/or total fantasy, without any relation to science.

On the first 3 seasons I agree.

Maybe the best ever.

Then it went downhill. And fast.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
I know there are a lot of fans for Invincible and The Boys but Amazon's poisoned the well for me quite a bit. Their original adaptations have all ended up pretty disappointing and between this and Wheel of Time I feel their reputation has soured to the point where I kinda wish they'd stay away from other genre stuff. Hopefully they just cancel their LOTR series.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I know there are a lot of fans for Invincible and The Boys but Amazon's poisoned the well for me quite a bit. Their original adaptations have all ended up pretty disappointing and between this and Wheel of Time I feel their reputation has soured to the point where I kinda wish they'd stay away from other genre stuff. Hopefully they just cancel their LOTR series.
If it wasn't for the fact that going to brick and mortar stores is such a pain in the fucking ass, I'd never touch Amazon Prime. Their TV/Movies are total, woke dogshit (Invincible was cool, but I'm sure they'll ruin a 2nd season, like they did with The Boys).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If it wasn't for the fact that going to brick and mortar stores is such a pain in the fucking ass, I'd never touch Amazon Prime. Their TV/Movies are total, woke dogshit (Invincible was cool, but I'm sure they'll ruin a 2nd season, like they did with The Boys).

Clarkson's Farm was good, and getting a season 2. Jeremy Clarkson has total control over it, so the second season should be about the same.

I'm still going to finish the Expanse and haven't seen anything to completely ruin the show & IP, in the way GoT did (hell, fast forward though all Naomi parts in last season, and it becomes a decent rewatch).

In a slight defense of Prime (and as others have said), the show was already hamstrung by an unlikeable character in Holden and a shitty actor in Dominique Tipper. The supporting characters always carried the show, but most of them are gone (Miller (Thomas Jane) and Ashford (David Strathairn) especially). Wes Chatham, Cara Gee, and Shohreh Aghdashloo have a heavy load to carry, but there is only so much they can do.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Clarkson's Farm was good, and getting a season 2. Jeremy Clarkson has total control over it, so the second season should be about the same.

I'm still going to finish the Expanse and haven't seen anything to completely ruin the show & IP, in the way GoT did (hell, fast forward though all Naomi parts in last season, and it becomes a decent rewatch).

In a slight defense of Prime (and as others have said), the show was already hamstrung by an unlikeable character and a shitty actor in Holden and Dominique Tipper. The supporting characters always carried the show, but most of them are gone (Miller (Thomas Jane) and Ashford (David Strathairn) especially). Wes Chatham, Cara Gee, and Shohreh Aghdashloo have a heavy load to carry, but there is only so much they can do.
See, I actually like that Holden's actor isn't the greatest. It makes the character FAR more believable as your typical, insufferable, do-gooder Lawful Good Paladin type. I think if the dude were a better actor, the character would seem a lot less "believable" on some weird level.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
See, I actually like that Holden's actor isn't the greatest. It makes the character FAR more believable as your typical, insufferable, do-gooder Lawful Good Paladin type. I think if the dude were a better actor, the character would seem a lot less "believable" on some weird level.

I think it is more of the character in general, in how he is written that is grating, or maybe it is just Naomi bringing Holden down, by proxy...

I know you need a "goody little two shoes" character to push this story forward, but they probably could have written a guy with a savior complex in a more likeable way. Being unlikeable could be the point though, I guess.

I edited the previous post to better clarify; I don't like the Holden character but don't have strong feeling about the actor (not great, not terrible). Naomi on the other hand, is a bad actor, and that makes it difficult to tell if the character could have been pulled off by someone with more talent.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
This episode had a little more plot than the first, but not much. That much plot would have been maybe 20mins of screen time in season 2-3 lol.

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
They usually start working in the next book halfway through each season. Even if there were more seasons, it wouldn't be possible to do this all that well because of the time skip.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Watch, I bet episode 2 is going to also lack much plot, but it will at least have a bunch of buddy buddy stuff, just like GoT S08E02.
Well, I was wrong. Almost right, except there was pretty much just one buddy buddy moment to go with the vapid plot...

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Not sure why they didn't do the Azure Dragon like in the books. The rail gun was plan A in the books, making it look real stupid explicitly not using it in the show. Was really looking forward to Amos vs mechs too.

Rocinante crew being snippy with Bobbie is out of character and going to look rushed if they try to make her part of the ship's family like in the book.

Book Holden: I fucked up, Peaches, I shouldn't have let you go out there.
Show Holden: You fucked up, Peaches, you shouldn't have gone out there.

IDK what happened to Keon Alexander(Marco Inaros). Did his "Ham it up" meter overflow? Fucking annoying listening to that guy try to convey "anger" and "frustration" and instead come across gravelly and bad at acting.

Everyone asleep at the wheel for season 6?

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't really mind Holden's character (the way its written or the actor). Feels weird with Alex being dead, whereas he is alive and well in the book. Amos is still Amos. No truly great scenes for him yet in this season, but he's still the best character on the show. I like Clarissa Mao way better than Naomi, and Philip/Marco are just the worst characters.

Worst part so far for me was the chase scene of the Azure Dragon. CGI looked pretty bad and it tried to evade 2-3 times and then was just like "I'll maintain course and speed so you can jump to my ship."

With this being the last season they are planning on doing for now, I'm not sure what their goal is in introducing Cara and Xan. There is zero time to flesh any of that out.

Sterling

El Presidente
Not great, not terrible. My issue is it's 2 episodes in and while some stuff happened it doesn't seem like it's moving along at a very brisk pace.