The Falcon and the Winter Soldier

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I'm sure it was their intention. But even my liberal, blm supporting coworkers were upset that it was the black guy that was having money troubles. Both sides thought the scene was dumb.
that faggoty banker eviscerated him, they didnt even show what Sam does between missions. why he thought he would qualify even for a car loan speaks volumes of stupid and it made us stupider for even watching that scene. i rather he flew into the bank of Wakanda and asked for a solid from them. does Wakanda have any banks? i assumed all the money for that vibranium and tech that they dont sell to outsiders is what made them unbelievably rich.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I cant believe people had the gall to complain about Wandavision when we have another MCU show literally focusing on the personal finances of D-list avengers.

I don't pay attention to that shit in real life where it would actually affect my life, why in the fuck would I want to give it even a seconds thought in a TV universe?

Halfway through the first episode one of my kids asked "when are they gonna start doing superhero stuff?" I agreed, and we found something else to watch. What a dumb show.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I cant believe people had the gall to complain about Wandavision when we have another MCU show literally focusing on the personal finances of D-list avengers.

I don't pay attention to that shit in real life where it would actually affect my life, why in the fuck would I want to give it even a seconds thought in a TV universe?

Halfway through the first episode one of my kids asked "when are they gonna start doing superhero stuff?" I agreed, and we found something else to watch. What a dumb show.

You have kids and don't pay attention to your finances?

• 1Worf

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>

Did you guys skip the first ten minutes of the show?

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Which one is the older sibling? Or I should ask which one is NOW the older sibling with the 5 years of age lost.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Which one is the older sibling? Or I should ask which one is NOW the older sibling with the 5 years of age lost.
she was the younger sister
*BlackFilmandTV editor Wilson Morales secured an exclusive interview with “The Falcon and the Winter Soldiers'” Adepero Oduye (Sarah Wilson).

The Disney+ original series from Marvel Studios ranked as the most watched series premiere ever on the streamer during its opening weekend and the most watched title overall for the same time period on a global basis. The six-episode show stars Anthony Mackie (Sam Wilson/The Falcon) and Sebastian Stan (Bucky Barnes/The Winter Soldier) – the pair who came together in the final moments of “Avengers: Endgame.”

Oduye’s character represents Sam’s life in Louisiana and his efforts to help save the family business.

“I wanted to be part of [“The Falcon and the Winter Soldier” because it] talks about the realness, the nitty gritty of what it’s like to be a Black man,” explained the actress to BlackFilmandTV when talking about financial hardships played out in episode one and how not all superheroes are wealthy.

“It doesn’t matter Sam’s a superhero. It doesn’t matter he literally saved the world. He’s still a Black man. For Sarah’s character, it’s about being a Black woman, and just how Back women shoulder a lot. She’s expressing to him what’s happening and what’s been happening, and he’s expressing to her what he wants to get done. It resonates with me in terms of the conversations I’ve had with my brother about what it’s like to be a Black woman. What’s it like to be a Black man? We can relate on the fact of Blackness, and the extra layer of gender and many other layers. There has to be a listening and coming together,” described the New York native.

Oduye and Mackie both appeared in the 2006 film “Half Nelson.”

“He’s just a generous person. He’s always been super supportive, showing so much love. Getting to do this, it just was an extension of that. It can be very easy to be like, ‘Oh, I’m new to all of this. He’s done this before.’ But his energy, his generosity of spirit, and as an actor, it just helps a great deal. It was easy to fall into our brother-sister role,” expressed the Cornell grad.

• 1Clown World
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
lol
There is a difference between didn't pay and outfit them with highly expensive weapons and equipment plus free room and board in their own compound.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Didn't charge rent, literally cancelled Thanos.

Also, how would they handle IDs in the MCU? Half the population you can't go by birth year : age any more.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Before they went to the bank his sister literally said the word "big business". This isn't going to be black man can't get loan. It's going to be big business and big government doing the wrong shit and people rallying to the Flag Smashers who's ideals are contrary to that. There's probably going to be some point where the bad guys talk about a world where the corrupt and powerful don't control people and Falcon has to HMMMM on it a second and then pull a Steve and say "no, people will do the right thing" and fuck them up.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
With the bank scene--its pretty clear they were trying to walk the line and hint at it being a racial issue, but then also dispel that notion with the banker emphasizing he thinks Sam's a hero, and wants to help. Honestly, if they actually played that out it would reflect RL really well--what most people assume is racial bias is simply the numbers being wrong for loans. I seriously doubt that's what marvel is doing though. As said, they are just playing down the line so as to piss off both camps as least as possible.

Which makes me wonder...why include it at all? The idea that such a massive hero can't raise capital is just...silly. Just public speaking engagements would easily have him making 7 figures, especially given he's clearly been shown to be a charismatic and engaging public speaker.

I'm guessing in the end the point will be to add some sympathy to the bad guys--who will probably be against the "big businesses" the banks are "siding with". Maybe it will work, maybe it won't...Who knows, but it seems pretty damn contrived.

That all said, enjoyed the episode. Hopefully they've established their 'emotional tension' and won't dip too far into that water now except to recall it for Sam's arc.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
We could point out how his entire fight at the beginning is not physically possible

OR

We could say it's so easy to get a bank loan for famous people for a notoriously shaky industry that it must be SJW stuff

FoH took the more retarded choice, per usual. JUST USE YOUR FAMOUS MONEYS FROM SAVING THE WORLD, IDIOT! ASK YOU FRIENDS FOR MONEY EVEN THOUGH YOUR CHARACTER IS LITERALLY TRYING TO BE HONEST AND HUMBLE LIKE THE MAN WHOSE SHADOW YOU LIVE IN AND THATS THE CONTEXT OF THE YOUR CHARACTERS PLOT!

Herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp!

Oh my god people don't have time to reflect during an intense action scene that has you excited and really into the moment, as opposed to people literally talking about income and interest rates?

No shit! Next you'll be telling me libraries are quiet because they help people focus.

This is WHY comic book movies tend to not slow down. Because they are very simplistic archetype stories and you HAVE to suspend your disbelief to get anywhere with them. Your whining here is more of an indictment of the poor pacing and choice of narrative than the 'retardation' here. Even if they wanted to drum up sympathy for the bad guys--a simple scene of a foreclosure consisting of 5 minutes of tearfully having the sister evicted from her home would have accomplished the same thing that 10+ minutes of plodding bullshit would have.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
With the bank scene--its pretty clear they were trying to walk the line and hint at it being a racial issue, but then also dispel that notion with the banker emphasizing he thinks Sam's a hero, and wants to help. Honestly, if they actually played that out it would reflect RL really well--what most people assume is racial bias is simply the numbers being wrong for loans. I seriously doubt that's what marvel is doing though. As said, they are just playing down the line so as to piss off both camps as least as possible.

Which makes me wonder...why include it at all? The idea that such a massive hero can't raise capital is just...silly. Just public speaking engagements would easily have him making 7 figures, especially given he's clearly been shown to be a charismatic and engaging public speaker.

I'm guessing in the end the point will be to add some sympathy to the bad guys--who will probably be against the "big businesses" the banks are "siding with". Maybe it will work, maybe it won't...Who knows, but it seems pretty damn contrived.

That all said, enjoyed the episode. Hopefully they've established their 'emotional tension' and won't dip too far into that water now except to recall it for Sam's arc.
this reminds me of the premise for Rocky 5. Rocky loses all his money and has to move from his rich mansion, fancy clothes, cars and high tech butler robot to the same shitty house Paulie lived in back in the first two movies. Paulie asks Rocky, why dont you just do commercials and you'll be rich again? Rocky says, "i'm not a commercial kind of guy". i guess that was a callback to Rocky 2 where he couldnt read the cue cards because he couldnt read well. but after that he learned to read better and in the timeline of Rocky 5 there were lots of sports commercials where the athelete said very little or nothing at all. Bo Jackson was going around saying "just do it" and he became rich as fuck from it. Sam just coming back from the snap and helping to save the entire fucking planet/universe would have no issue getting work in any country, not just the USA. dude would be swimming in money.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
this reminds me of the premise for Rocky 5. Rocky loses all his money and has to move from his rich mansion, fancy clothes, cars and high tech butler robot to the same shitty house Paulie lived in back in the first two movies. Paulie asks Rocky, why dont you just do commercials and you'll be rich again? Rocky says, "i'm not a commercial kind of guy". i guess that was a callback to Rocky 2 where he couldnt read the cue cards because he couldnt read well. but after that he learned to read better and in the timeline of Rocky 5 there were lots of sports commercials where the athelete said very little or nothing at all. Bo Jackson was going around saying "just do it" and he became rich as fuck from it. Sam just coming back from the snap and helping to save the entire fucking planet/universe would have no issue getting work in any country, not just the USA. dude would be swimming in money.

That's so weird. When I look at my movie collection, it goes: Rocky 1, 2, 3, 4, Rocky Balboa, Creed 1, 2. Whats this Rocky 5 you speak of?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Nope, doesn't ring a bell! That movie does not exist! The perfection of Rocky: larger font is better

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Rocky Balboa,Creed 1, Creed 2
ok im tossing on Creed this week, if they suck, i'm coming for you!

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

Maybe he had a bad work ethic

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users