The Fast Food Thread

kudos

<Banned>
We sell Capicola in regular supermarkets in MA, that shit is fucking disgusting.
Are you serious? Thank God I can find it here in FL. Probably the best deli meat there is.

Good corned beef on the other hand... none in FL that I have found yet except ONE place that makes their own. People down here rather have fucking pastrami all the time instead. I don't understand it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Maybe ours is just shitty, I mean it's supermarket Capicola and they put it in the calzones too. I don't like it (and I'm italian), but some people absolutely love it.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah I love hot capicola, maybe you just have shitty meats.

I also love a nice mortadella, prosciutto, soppressata sandwich.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I just learned there is a NEW 3-cheese stuffed crust pizza. All other fast food has officially been invalidated.

kudos

<Banned>
I just learned there is a NEW 3-cheese stuffed crust pizza. All other fast food has officially been invalidated.
Until you realize it's from Pizza Hut and then it's invalidated.

Not gonna lie. I would eat it if someone ordered it though.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Until you realize it's from Pizza Hut and then it's invalidated.

Not gonna lie. I would eat it if someone ordered it though.
That's how I feel about all pizza chains. I'm not ordering it, but I'll eat yours.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Capicola can be tough to find too, idk why.
Every Italian type deli/sandwich shop I go into in the midwest I end up looking to see if they have capicola, and 99% of the time I end up disappointed. I don't even want to ask at the counter anymore because inevitably I get the"dull stare of the dairy cow"and then I end up having to explain WTH capicola is just so they can THEN say"oh...naww, we don't have that".To be fair I didn't know what it was until I lived in upstate NY for several years, but it still surprises me how rare it is a lot of places.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Every large city is going to have comparable versions of almost any kind of food. The Midwest isn't one of those areas. Unless you're in Chicago, I suppose.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
It's probably because there weren't nearly as many Italian immigrants to KC as there were to other cities. It isn't that KC isn't large (it's larger than Buffalo by far and Buffalo has capicola everywhere), it just isn't a thing here.

I didn't even know about Friday fish frys until I live in Buffalo, it was a completely foreign concept. KC has Catholics, I'm just guessing not in numbers sufficient that every restaurant tries to do a fish fry on Fridays (and sometimes Wed).

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
KC has one of the larger Italian populations and influences outside of East coast cities and Chicago. The mob was huge here up until the 80s. The entire River Market and North Kansas City was run by Italians. There's still a to of Italian restaurants and delis in both areas.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Very hasty and incorrect generalization.
Not really. I'm more of a midwesterner than a west coaster. I lived there for 25 years. Although, I'm sure the finest sushi restaurants can be found in Omaha. Can't beat the prime beachfront locale.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Not really. I'm more of a midwesterner than a west coaster. I lived there for 25 years. Although, I'm sure the finest sushi restaurants can be found in Omaha. Can't beat the prime beachfront locale.
-shrug- Minneapolis has some of the best Sushi I've ever had. With places like Origami, Masu and (to a lesser extent....though you won't find a prettier plated meal) Fuji-Ya you can't ask for a better place to ear. Masu is cool in the fact that they avoid putting Tuna on their menu and only go the route of serving fish deemed sustainable. They've also won a few James Beard awards and I higly recommend them should anyone find themselves here sometime.

It's pretty nuts just how good the food culture here is really. Between all the awesome restaurants of all different backgrounds to the farmers markets there you can buy fresh citrus and other things not native here year round even with 3 feet of snow on the ground, it's pretty great. I can say that without the nostalgia "I grew up here" bias as well as I'm not from here and would love nothing more than to move back home.
tongue.png

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
As someone who has never been the midwest, I canassure youthat everything there is terrible.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
There's a reason a lot of the fattest states are in the Midwest. We have some good food
smile.png