The Final Fantasy Mega Thread - Now playing FFXV

Chris

Potato del Grande
Before FF12 I'd played FFTA so other than randomly being in a different location it seemed fine. After playing FFT, not referencing it seems like a crime.

Oddly I'm not even sure FFTA is canon in ivaliceverse since its all a dream? While FFT is canon since apparently Mustadio is a descendant of Baltheir.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
FF12 is the best FF since FF12. Loving it all over again. Still have no idea wtf is going on with the story, but the combat and farming is as fun as I remember it to be.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Really enjoying this as well, but it's the firstgood FF I've played blind in like 15 years. I don't wanna know how much I'm missing :(

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The only thing I don't like is you don't really know how good each class is and you can't respec

They should give you the option to respec one for free.

Machinist is probably the worst class in the game, but its still workable when paired with something flexible but slow. Basically, you want to pair fast class with slow class as much as possible and then maybe make sure every character has access to both ranged and mele ability to some degree. Also, try and make sure everyone ends up with some form of group healing on their board, as several fights depend on it. Second class unlocks after Raithwall's tomb is complete and you have all six characters.

Fast Classes (have 2+ Swiftness ranks)- Hunter, Machinist, Archer, Bushi, Time Mage, Monk

Aside from starting someone as a machinist, you really can't fuck things up that bad and even that choice is not completely wrong. The Hunter class (forget what this version calls it) is the best one to repeat and both the Archer and Machinist are the most skipable ones (though Archer is strong early). Hunter + White Mage and Bushi + Knight are probably the two best combos out there, if you are looking to break the game. Ranged magic really only matters for a few specific esper and hunt fights, while mele/ranged weapons are nearly always the best way to win. Support and healing is king, though.

Here is what I am rolling with (though its not optimal, I wanted all classes represented in the game) and I am plowing through the game pretty easily.:
Vann- Red Mage/Machinist- I hate the character, so he got the leftovers, but this combo works surprisingly well as a supplemental healer who can still mele if needed.
Balthier- Spear Guy/Time Mage- Spears and buffs when he needs to be close, Crossbows and healing when its an AE fest, and heavy armor on a mage. Worked out better than I expected.
Basch- Bushi/Knight- Mele DPS tank with supplemental healing. (Bash Combos with Katanas a lot and the damage is based on both magic and power)
Ashe- Hunter/White Mage- Super Tank (Gladius and shield give ridiculous evasion) and healing, probably the most invincible character.
Fran- Archer/Breaker (Axe Guy)- Bows and bombs from a distance, or Axe and Shield in close (Fran gets big combos from Axes and Hammers) with healing and potion jockey status.
Penelo- Monk/Black Mage- Amazing magic damage... when you fight something that cares about that. This character sucks right now, but will get better once I get access to the top white mage spells.

Whatever you pick (unless its an entire party of machinist archers) you can't really screw yourself, but just make sure you work at least one Hunter, Bushi, Knight, and White Mage into the lineup to make use of the best weapons in the game.

PS- This game was the last good FF. Even its half assed ending made for a better story than anything in 13 or 15. Knowing the story from the GB Advance Tactics games (set in the same world and share some of the characters and countries) helps to suck you in, though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Thanks for the analysis. I was planning to go vaan, Ashe, Fran so I think I can salvage it. Not sure how many forced parties occur later. I can't even remember where I left off on ps2

Needless

Toe Sucker
Enjoying FF12 a lot, i remember the first time i played it i couldn't stand the pace of the game. The fast forward button is actually the best thing they added to it

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I came to this thread a few days ago to ask if FF 15 is worth returning to now and I end up just wanting to buy FF 12 and playing that instead. Fuck me.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah 15 is the first main series game that I passed on. 13 was the ME:A of the series for me.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
15 is so bad. I played it a little.more waiting for this to come out.

When the fuck does it get good? Right now I'm just driving around doing stupid fucking quests

• 1Solidarity

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
FF15 was the one game purchase last year I was legit angry at myself for buying. I kinda had this gut feeling it was going to be bad but I bought into the hype anyway; fuck that game was awful.

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Fuck the haters, Pitioss was probably the best FF dungeon ever.

I'm guessing that's late game? I still haven't got to that as I took a break. The game was awesome starting out but got so damn stale by the time I got to chapter 9? Whenever the story supposedly starts. Having some amazing late game dungeon is cool and all but man you have to make the game leading up to it good or people aren't going to see it. I plan on going back to it some day to start the story portion of the game but man it's hard to when your memories of it suck.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
1 dungeon out of ??? Pitioss was good but man, fuck the rest of them especially the menace dungeons I was really not that impressed by it at all...the game does have it's moments but few and far between =/

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i'm just about to the end of FF V Advance. not sure which i am going to play next on my quest to play them all. wish i had a PS4 for FF XII: TZA. thinking maybe i'll start on VIII next and get it out of the way...

Needless

Toe Sucker
Oh man, i forgot Tactics advance games existed... i couldn't imagine trying to replay those games, the law system was so, so, soooo bad

• 1Like