The Fishing Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Got soaked to the bone marrow. Caught a single 6 pound cat but it was a bass tourney so threw it back in. My boater caught a 19" and lake rules are under 16 or over 20 so threw that in. I think there were only 6 other fish caught in the 6 hours we were on the lake.

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Forgot about this thread. Been stone crabbing since Oct 15. Couple rando pics of catches.
sc1.jpg
sc2.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pulled pots today after a week of gusty winds. Here's a few. Some of them were hand sized.

15493778_10211748729782291_7922598773314896324_o.jpg

• 1Like

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Do you tear off their claw and they grow a new one?
Nah he just likes the claws and wants to let them die a slow death of starvation. I was actually thinking the same thing though please enlighten us non crabbers

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I think those claws are still attached to crabs.

Senaiel

Silver Knight of the Realm
Stone crabs claws regrow after harvesting. The claw must be of certain size to remove and when they are removed you just throw the crab back into the ocean. Some crabs have both claws removed while others have 1. It forces them to change their diet from shellfish to more seagrass.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Do you tear off their claw and they grow a new one?

Stone crabs claws regrow after harvesting. The claw must be of certain size to remove and when they are removed you just throw the crab back into the ocean. Some crabs have both claws removed while others have 1. It forces them to change their diet from shellfish to more seagrass.

Right. Stone crabs are claws only. You can remove both (I don't). Takes about a year for them to grow back and if they lack both claws, they 100% scavenge.

So the crabs are pretty sustainable as a resource and the claws are delicious. We have 10 pots (5 per license) and we pull them every 4 days or so depending on wind/weather.

Other stuff sometimes pops in the pots like Florida lobster or grunts/snapper. Even had a puffer fish last pull. Those things are hilarious.

• 1Like

splorge

Good Day out on the water for February. Fished mud flats and some structure looking for bigger grouper.

• 2Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
My buddy's trying to buy a used Lund but they get bought of goddamn fast.

As in posted online in the morning, gone in the afternoon.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Spring not a good time to be a boat buyer. Buy in the fall when people want to unload rather than winterize and such.

• 1Like

splorge

Perfect weather for inshore fishing April 8th. No swell, good current, good grouper bite.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I'm going camping/fishing tomorrow afternoon. I am giddy, taking my old Johnson Century reel (old...all metal, Made in USA old.) it's got new line and casts like a dream. My nephew and B-I-L both want it. They can't have it. Taking my fly rod too. Trying to narrow down the gear and tackle to one small case. Too many decisions!!!

splorge

Offshore season has started. If anyone hasn't tried rainbow runner, its very good.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Think when the server migration happened we lost some posts regarding my inquiry on fly fishing. Wanted to thank those of you that posted your advice and suggestions ( Mrs. Gravy Mrs. Gravy and Borzak Borzak ). Ended up finally purchasing an outfit today. Snagged a Sage VXP in a 9' / 6 WT, and a Sage 3200 reel at Cabela's. They've got both on sale right now, rod being 250 (normally 500), and the reel being 160 (normally 240).

Going to be in Hendersonville, NC this weekend and break in everything. Hopefully I can manage to not throw too many flies into the trees, and manage to land a fish or two... ;)

Oh, links to the sale if anyone is interested:

Sage VXP Fly Rods : Cabela's

Sage 3200 Fly Reel : Cabela's

• 1Like

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Holy hell - I have worked all damn weekend (10- 12 hours Sat, Sun and today) so I can take a motherfucking vacation.
Yes I have had time off in the past 18 months - but planning a funeral and doctor appointments and surgeries do not a vacation make. Last vacation was May 2015 for my 25th wedding anniversary. We went to New Mexico so G could see his dad for what he knew would be his last time.

I am anxious as heck. I have to work tomorrow at least 10 hours and then New is coming to my house.
My mini vacation (Wed, Th, Fri, Sat and Sun) is camping and fishing with New at various locations in the Mark Twain National Forest in S and S Central Missouri. Tent, no running water, no electricity, au naturale - loads of Fishing. I am not packed at fucking all (OK my fishing gear is ready; am taking the 2, the 6 and the 8 wt fly rods and my favorite closed reel = an ancient Johnson Century - it casts like a dream).

I am SO excited. How the hell am I supposed to: 1. sleep , 2. work 3. get all my shit together including prepping the house for my house/dog sitter by 8 tomorrow?!?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Will you be back in time for the game sunday?

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Will you be back in time for the game sunday?
Nope....missed everything...no cell, no internet...it was awesome.
I only caught 2 fish, a sunfish and a largemouth bass, but damn did I have fun. The lakes and streams were just magnificent.

• 2Like