The Grand Tour (from the guys in Top Gear)

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That P1 is insane. It looks like something from the future. Can't wait to see the P1 on the track against thePorsche 918. It doesn't look as shockingly futuristic as the P1, but it's still pretty and packing 887hp between the 3 motors(2x Electric). Pretty sure it's gonna get smoked, they probably wouldn't even do the comparison if their precious British car was going to lose, but it's still going to be cool. 0-60 is similar at least.

Plus it's like half the price of the McLaren. Which is not something that's bugged them before when comparing other cars to British ones. Like when they put the Jag S-Type against a Chrysler 300 and the Monaro that cost half as much. Then complained about how the cheaper cars felt cheaper.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
That P1 is insane. It looks like something from the future. Can't wait to see the P1 on the track against thePorsche 918. It doesn't look as shockingly futuristic as the P1, but it's still pretty and packing 887hp between the 3 motors(2x Electric). Pretty sure it's gonna get smoked, they probably wouldn't even do the comparison if their precious British car was going to lose, but it's still going to be cool. 0-60 is similar at least.

Plus it's like half the price of the McLaren. Which is not something that's bugged them before when comparing other cars to British ones. Like when they put the Jag S-Type against a Chrysler 300 and the Monaro that cost half as much. Then complained about how the cheaper cars felt cheaper.
Shit, it really might beat the P1(doubt it) but Jennifer Clarkson is closer a possibility then I first thought.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Shit, it really might beat the P1(doubt it) but Jennifer Clarkson is closer a possibility then I first though.
It's 600 lbs heavier. It's not gonna beat the P1=) Which is too bad because I really was hoping for Jennifer Clarkson. On the other hand the P1 is so crazy awesome that it's hard to root against it.

Just looking at the wiki pages for each. The 918 gets more than 3x the distance on pure electric(20 vs. 6.2). And it comes in a Spyder variant. If I was a super rich dude but I missed out on the 375 P1 production run I wouldn't be heartbroken to end up with one of the 918 Porsche 918's.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
P1 was pretty fucking cool. Future of automotive indeed. Can't wait to see that technology make it to the masses in 5-10 years.

I really like the new Corvette too. Not really a huge Corvette fan, but that one was nice. Shame about the museum today. Hit the dome too, which is where all the cool ass cars were.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
It's 600 lbs heavier... The 918 gets more than 3x the distance on pure electric(20 vs. 6.2).
I think those two facts are probably related. Serious improvements in battery / energy storage technology are long overdue.

The problem with comparing prices between these two cars is that while the Porsche is half the price, it's still over $800,000. If you can spend that on a car, money is no object. For these people the only limit is availability.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We're always seeing and hearing about how amazingly light and strong carbon fiber parts are. So when I read the subject of this little video I was already planning to post it here. Then I hit play and on comes Hamster's voice, making it extra relevant!

Stress test comparison of a steel driveshaft vs. a carbon fiber one.

tl;dw: Carbon fiber is way lighter and took over 3x the force to break.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I enjoy the show a lot, but have to admit that every time an episode starts and it isn't a travel adventure, I feel a bit disappointed. Those specials are what I look forwards to every season. Show is at its best when the three are together. Episodes that are mostly them individually showcasing cars aren't as much fun to watch. News segment is usually the best in those episodes.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
It's 600 lbs heavier. It's not gonna beat the P1=) Which is too bad because I really was hoping for Jennifer Clarkson. On the other hand the P1 is so crazy awesome that it's hard to root against it.

Just looking at the wiki pages for each. The 918 gets more than 3x the distance on pure electric(20 vs. 6.2). And it comes in a Spyder variant. If I was a super rich dude but I missed out on the 375 P1 production run I wouldn't be heartbroken to end up with one of the 918 Porsche 918's.
A comparison by one of the few who have driven both. It looks like Clarkson doesn't need to worry.

"the P1 is faster than the 918. Everywhere. On paper it looks close enough for there not to be much difference in the real world. But in that real world the McLaren feels of-another-solar-system quicker the Porsche. It feels as fast as anything I've ever driven to be honest, including Honda's 2007 F1 car, whereas the 918 feels merely very fast indeed."

McLaren P1 versus Porsche 918 Spyder - which is best? | Autocar

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i really like the mercedes truck. though i doubt i will ever be able to take full advantage of all its mechanical features.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh God that Porsche.
Yeah, after seeing that I think I actually like it more than the P1. At least as far as fantasy land if I had one to live with.

Kind of annoyed they're not going to get them to the track until next season, they seemed to imply it would happen this season before.

SZlCCf4.gif

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the porsche is pretty awesome, but why is there a twin jet of blue flame shooting out of its rear exhausts?

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I think it's pretty hilarious that they did that cycling segment, I know earlier in the season or maybe last season Jeremy mentioned he took up cycling and all the hivizgear/lycra over the pants had me laughing my ass off.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah, after seeing that I think I actually like it more than the P1. At least as far as fantasy land if I had one to live with.

Kind of annoyed they're not going to get them to the track until next season, they seemed to imply it would happen this season before.
Yea I wonder why that happened, they kept saying "In the coming weeks we're going to have both on the track" then dropped the bomb we have to wait till next season this episode. Yas Marina Circuit (Where they were filming the 918) has seen a lot of action lately as a few magazines that were playing with a P1 there. Too bad they didn't do the comparison there.

Another note if you ever find yourself in Abu Dhabi, Yas Beach is fucking awesome and it's a short trip from the F1 track.